5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

30 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I highly doubt King would agree to play Crosby at Lufkin.

It's not fun to play at that place. Tons of history for us there.

Now Saturday afternoon at SFA's Homer Bryce? That's more Lobo style.

Saturday inside NRG stadium would be very nice. Lol not far of a drive for me. Plus no weather factor 

4 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

BH has that home cooking for them. 

LOL. 100% False. That non existent home cooking never ever helps. I have seen an opponents knee go down on the 1 YL at a crucial point and the refs gave them a game turning score. Where was it then? But I am glad that fallacy is in your head, though, whoever you support. Its fun to believe it, LOL  

I know Lobo has( more so than ever wanted), but have any of yall ever been to a Lufkin home game?

Lol, their entire home side of field is reserved seating, so general admission flows into the visiting side seats. I haven't been there in a few seasons but they used to fill those said seats to the max.

17 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

I know Lobo has( more so than ever wanted), but have any of yall ever been to a Lufkin home game?

Lol, their entire home side of field is reserved seating, so general admission flows into the visiting side seats. I haven't been there in a few seasons but they used to fill those said seats to the max.

It's not like it used to be. Now when LP starts winning heavy again it'll be like the old days. 

2 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

LOL. 100% False. That non existent home cooking never ever helps. I have seen an opponents knee go down on the 1 YL at a crucial point and the refs gave them a game turning score. Where was it then? But I am glad that fallacy is in your head, though, whoever you support. Its fun to believe it, LOL  

Lol. 100% true. BH had the biggest home cooking only one that comes to mind that is worse is Vidor. It has been talked about numerous times on this very board. 

40 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Lol. 100% true. BH had the biggest home cooking only one that comes to mind that is worse is Vidor. It has been talked about numerous times on this very board. 

Not sure about Vidor, it was no homecooking when we went out there in 2016 and took a L. Maybe versus the likes of Mid-County and others it happens??

The BH homecooking talk been going on dating back to the 90s and I've witnessed it so........

......maybe it's not as bad now like it was before, only example I can give on that is our 2020 game there where the refs were horrible both ways, literally felt like no one won that night, neither team got better because of that particular game. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Not sure about Vidor, it was no homecooking when we went out there in 2016 and took a L. Maybe versus the likes of Mid-County and others it happens??

The BH homecooking talk been going on dating back to the 90s and I've witnessed it so........

......maybe it's not as bad now like it was before, only example I can give on that is our 2020 game there where the refs were horrible both ways, literally felt like no one won that night, neither team got better because of that particular game. 

We played Vidor a lot more so we witnessed it a lot more on that sense vs PA’s lone trip. 

but you are absolutely right about BH home cooking since the 90s. I saw what you were talking about on the 2020 game.

Yeah we are busted. p 

We used to bribe refs for just $100 a game in the 90's.  

In the 2000's it steadily went up, reaching $150 bribe per ref by 2010.

In 2020 when inflation really began to hit, dang greedy refs started demanding $200 per game! 

For 2022, its getting just outrageous. They now want a $250 per per person per game bribe, AND $50 extra gas money, AND a case of bud light for the crew. That's a whopping $300+ for each ref. Next thing they will all want free shrimp platters at Floyds on I-10 after the game. A win now cost BH several thousands in ref bribes alone. I hope these guys will let us pay using PayPal or Venmo going forward. I just hate carrying around thousands of dollars of green cash in dark parking lots after the game. Dang it!          

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

Yeah we are busted. p 

We used to bribe refs for just $100 a game in the 90's.  

In the 2000's it steadily went up, reaching $150 bribe per ref by 2010.

In 2020 when inflation really began to hit, dang greedy refs started demanding $200 per game! 

For 2022, its getting just outrageous. They now want a $250 per per person per game bribe, AND $50 extra gas money, AND a case of bud light for the crew. That's a whopping $300+ for each ref. Next thing they will all want free shrimp platters at Floyds on I-10 after the game. A win now cost BH several thousands in ref bribes alone. I hope these guys will let us pay using PayPal or Venmo going forward. I just hate carrying around thousands of dollars of green cash in dark parking lots after the game. Dang it!          

Why you so salty

21 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Either way we're splitting hairs but I have to disagree with you on this one. I didn't think DR had a bunch of depth last year either. The way they play guys somewhat mitigates their depth issues if you can really call them that. DR make their hay on the defensive side of the ball and I think they're the most loaded team in the class on defense. They have the best ILB in the entire country, Marquice Hill and Tre Bates both have major FBS offers on the defensive line, Chance Rucker just committed to Michigan State to play corner and Kaden Kelly has an FBS offer at safety. If they're healthy their defense probably doesn't take much of a step back if any at all? I think DR is a little thinner on offense but their RB, who I think is a little more hype than substance, just committed to OU, Davis is going to pick up more FBS offers at QB and they return their leading receiver from last year. Depth may truly become an issue but you have to get past those guys first. 

Longview is very talented but outside of Jalen Hale and the receiving core what other position group would you give the nod to Longview over DR in? O-line possibly? I also think Longview has more talent in their incoming junior class than the incoming senior class does. The '24s at Longview have just as many if not more offers than the '23s do already.  They also have to replace a pretty solid QB while DR bring their back. Again, splitting hairs but I just felt like DR probably should've gotten the nod. 

As a Lobo fan, I tend to agree more that Longview should not have the nod over 1-2 possibly 3 other teams for the number one spot.  My reasons are pretty simple:

O-line: I know we return a lot but are on the smaller side.  That is not historically a problem for Longview to have smaller O-line because they are masters of using strength and leverage to their advantage.  That has definitely not been the case the last two years.  If that changes and they get back to true form, they will be a force.

QB: Potential starter - Great kid, hard worker, completely committed to his team/program.  His skillset the two previous years underwhelmed but he has looked his best this spring and qualifying for the state 7 on 7.  How he plays this fall will be the key...doesn't have to be a world beater but has to cut down on the mistakes in a major way.

Games versus elite teams: As previously mentioned we are 0-5 the last 2 years against the best (elite) teams on our schedule.  Until we can get over that hump, it is a wait and see for me.

I personally think that Lonestar-Crosby-Longview will be the Region 2 favorites.  The biggest issue for both Longview and Crosby will be their really weak schedules.  I think Longview has 2 solid teams on its schedule and Crosby 1-2.  That could be an issue for both teams once the playoffs start.

Going to be a great season.  Can't wait to see what happens.  

2 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

If the Crosby coach wanted NRG, King would probably make you go to Shreveport.  I'd settle for a mid way point like SFA.  Plenty of room and great venue.

No doubt, but these Texas winters in the cold and rain can get brutal. I seen plenty of playoff games at SHSU, a few at SFA, and woodforrest bank stadium in the cold. I really enjoy the ones inside climate control. Lol

On 6/23/2022 at 11:01 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Either way we're splitting hairs but I have to disagree with you on this one. I didn't think DR had a bunch of depth last year either. The way they play guys somewhat mitigates their depth issues if you can really call them that. DR make their hay on the defensive side of the ball and I think they're the most loaded team in the class on defense. They have the best ILB in the entire country, Marquice Hill and Tre Bates both have major FBS offers on the defensive line, Chance Rucker just committed to Michigan State to play corner and Kaden Kelly has an FBS offer at safety. If they're healthy their defense probably doesn't take much of a step back if any at all? I think DR is a little thinner on offense but their RB, who I think is a little more hype than substance, just committed to OU, Davis is going to pick up more FBS offers at QB and they return their leading receiver from last year. Depth may truly become an issue but you have to get past those guys first. 

Longview is very talented but outside of Jalen Hale and the receiving core what other position group would you give the nod to Longview over DR in? O-line possibly? I also think Longview has more talent in their incoming junior class than the incoming senior class does. The '24s at Longview have just as many if not more offers than the '23s do already.  They also have to replace a pretty solid QB while DR bring their back. Again, splitting hairs but I just felt like DR probably should've gotten the nod. 

Ryan didnt have much depth last year and its even less this year...You are correct abour Ryan's defense still being strong but Longview did put 33 up on them in the playoffs so clearly the Lobos took big steps forward primarily IMO due to improvement on the OL, which returns mostly intact. I'd give Longview the edge over Ryan at WR, I'd give Longview the edge over Ryan at RB (each team has a 4-star stud, but Longview is much deeper there)...obviously Longview's OL gets the edge over Ryan...Longview's QB played a lot last year and struggled, mainly because I think he had a senior looking over his shoulder, he seems much more confident this year and according to the staff he's made major strides....Ryan's front seven gets a big edge over Longview IMO (thats where Longview has the most questions), but the gap between the two secondaries isn't as big as one would think...Longview's back four has some really talented young kids...

Teams dont beat Longview four times in a row often, I'm playing the odds here in my personal rankings and giving Longview the edge over Ryan in a potential semifinal....and at least in the pre-season rankings, the computer agrees

On 6/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, navydawg31 said:

Johnnie Walker blue label please. 

I am excited for Crosby future, going to miss our tough games against each other. They were always competitive.  

Lol, I drink way too much of it to afford the blue label all the time but that’s my favorite too. They have some special casks in the islands that taste just as good as the blue label but they’re unavailable in the states, smh. 

I’m going to miss out games with Ned too. Very tough environment to play in usually and has generally played Crosby harder than any frequent opponent on the schedule the last 15 years. Good luck to the Dogs. If everybody plays up the their potential that’s a murder’s row of a district the next two years. 

On 6/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, LoboFan07 said:

I highly doubt King would agree to play Crosby at Lufkin.

It's not fun to play at that place. Tons of history for us there.

Now Saturday afternoon at SFA's Homer Bryce? That's more Lobo style.

I don’t like playing at Abe either. It’s an old venue in need of some upgrades but I can assure you Coach P isn’t going to agree to play y’all in Nac and make the Crosby fans travel twice the distance. Sounds like it would potentially be in Waco then. We did hammer Texas High at SFA a couple of years ago though.