5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I hear Crosby checks in preseason #6 in 5A D1. Glad the target is on their back in district and not ours. 😁

We've won outright or were co-champs 6 of the last 8 years in district play so we're kind of used to it by now. #6 is pretty stiff given the move up in class and the smallest enrollment but I think it would be more than deserved if we can start the season 2-0. I would imagine 1-5 are:

1. Denton Ryan 

2. Longview 

3. College Station 

4. Manvel 

5. Aledo 

1 minute ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We've won outright or were co-champs 6 of the last 8 years in district play so we're kind of used to it by now. #6 is pretty stiff given the move up in class and the smallest enrollment but I think it would be more than deserved if we can start the season 2-0. I would imagine 1-5 are:

1. Denton Ryan 

2. Longview 

3. College Station 

4. Manvel 

5. Aledo 

Longview is number 1. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Longview is number 1. 

That's interesting. I would've for sure though DR would be #1 after blowing out Longview once last year and having a big lead in the 3rd round game before Longview came back to make it close? IMO Longview does return slightly better overall offensive skill guys but I think DR returns the better offensive backfield and more defensive talent. If College Station had a proven QB with the talent they return I would probably put them in front of Longview too. 

District projection I got off Smoaky courtesy of GoLobos: 

1. Crosby

2. PA Memorial 

3. Barbers Hill

4. Baytown Lee

--------------------

5. Kingwood Park

6. La Porte

7. New Caney Porter

8. Baytown Sterling

9. Baytown Goose Creek Memorial 

So @BMTSoulja1 sent me his Port Arthur Memorial season projection.

He has the Titans going 3-7 with their only wins coming against: Sterling, La Porte and Lee. (Must be the Beaumont refinery air)

At this point in time I see us going 9-1 at best, 8-2 at worse. (I think we lose to Crosby first scenario, second scenario a loss to Png at The Rez and a loss to Crosby)

@Yeoj Me thinks he's a bit bitter about Beaumont United moving back up to 6A to receive beatdowns at the hands of North Shore, Atascocita, Summer Creek, WB, CE King etc.......🤷🏾‍♂️

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That's interesting. I would've for sure though DR would be #1 after blowing out Longview once last year and having a big lead in the 3rd round game before Longview came back to make it close? IMO Longview does return slightly better overall offensive skill guys but I think DR returns the better offensive backfield and more defensive talent. If College Station had a proven QB with the talent they return I would probably put them in front of Longview too. 

I was at the first Longview-Ryan game and a young Longview team got some hard lessons in Week 1...the second meeting was much more competitive obviously as a young Longview squad improved a ton during the year...

Going into 2021; Ryan lost a lot (44 seniors) and their junior and sophomore classes are pretty average so a team that already lacked depth is really going to be pushed this year....

Longview is the exact opposite, the senior class that just graduated is pretty average for their standards & they are replacing those guys with a junior class thats loaded...its a group that we've been hearing about in these parts for a couple of years...add that group to a mix that already returned 14 starters and 40 lettermen and there you have it...

8 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

As Matthew328 stated, we were extremely young going into that first game against Ryan. Our entire secondary was sophomores, our starting running back was a sophomore. We had a junior QB that made mistake after mistake, that eventually led to him losing the starting position after the worst loss under our current head coach (McKinney North) where he had 5 turnovers.

Our offensive line was extremely young as well, so things just..the last two years have been tough for sure. The talent we had in 2017-2019 has not been there the last 2 seasons (minus Jalen Hale), and facing Highland Park/Denton Ryan 5 times in that time span definitely was humbling after having won 28 of 29 games in 2018/2019.

The group we have coming up is one we've been talking about ever since Haynes King stepped on the field for his senior season. You could tell they were going to be special even with as young as they were then.

Our entire offensive line returns, Tatum Taylor is back at running back as a junior, our secondary is the best secondary I have ever seen a Longview group have, and almost all of them are just juniors. Jalen Hale starts his 4th season as a Lobo on the varsity squad, the first freshmen to play on a Lobo varsity team in over 30 years and he's showed why with the amount of D1 offers he has. The receivers around him are extremely talented on top of it. Our defensive front should be out of this world. QB remains a question mark. Allen comes in as a 3 year starter now (battled back and worth in 2020 before winning it, battling it back and forth in 2021 before losing it). We will go as far as he takes us, no doubt. He is by far our weakest position, but when you have as much talent around you as he does this year, we're hoping it'll mask some things.

No doubt Denton Ryan is going to be impressive again. I'm more than happy we won't have to see them until Week 15 if we do have to face them. 3 losses in a row to a single team does not happen to Longview often. It's the first time in program history that we've ever lost to a team 3 times in just 13 games. But we would be more than battled test if we were to get to the Semis. Like I said earlier, we're 18-7 in the last 2 seasons which is just not Longview standards...but also 5 of the 7 losses have come to #1 Denton Ryan, or #2/#3 Highland Park so it is masked a bit considering 3 of those 5 losses were decided by one score. But we have not been elite by any stretch and I think a lot of us feel the group that is coming up (and the group behind them for that matter) is at that elite level.

No doubt a Crosby match up is looming in November. It's going to end up being one of those match ups we will have talked about all season long I feel. Looking forward to it potentially happening. And looking forward to keeping up with a new group of schools. I know we almost faced BH back in the late 2000s. I can imagine their fans don't want to make the travel to Longview this season (or next for that matter). Getting that home field in round 1 is going to be extremely important with the travel. Hopefully the district is a little more competition (district 8 that is) than I'm expecting it to be. Looks like a Crosby/PA Memorial run away, with BH in 3rd and the rest...well the rest being as bad as they are. But we'll see what happens.

17 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

District projection I got off Smoaky courtesy of GoLobos: 

1. Crosby

2. PA Memorial 

3. Barbers Hill

4. Baytown Lee

--------------------

5. Kingwood Park

6. La Porte

7. New Caney Porter

8. Baytown Sterling

9. Baytown Goose Creek Memorial 

With the offseason BH is having I would update my prediction to show them finishing 3rd also. I would flip flop Lee and KP and wouldn't at all be surprised if KP beat one of those top three teams if they had an off night. I don't think GCM will finish dead last either if the transfer QB they picked up from Clear Creek gets ruled eligible. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

So @BMTSoulja1 sent me his Port Arthur Memorial season projection.

He has the Titans going 3-7 with their only wins coming against: Sterling, La Porte and Lee. (Must be the Beaumont refinery air)

At this point in time I see us going 9-1 at best, 8-2 at worse. (I think we lose to Crosby first scenario, second scenario a loss to Png at The Rez and a loss to Crosby)

@Yeoj Me thinks he's a bit bitter about Beaumont United moving back up to 6A to receive beatdowns at the hands of North Shore, Atascocita, Summer Creek, WB, CE King etc.......🤷🏾‍♂️

CE King has a new coach and will be transitioning to a more run-based offense per one of their QB's dad so they may not be as stiff as some of their projections. They did pick up a transfer DE from Yates that's already committed to Colorado to go along with Dylan Spencer who's already committed to Texas playing on the other side so their defense might be a little better. 

I do feel bad for Soulja though. I know he's invested but he and everybody else on this board knows they have absolutely no chance for anything more than moral victories on the football field this year. Maybe he can petition the UIL for them to start basketball season earlier like some yahoo did for soccer this year? 

10 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I was at the first Longview-Ryan game and a young Longview team got some hard lessons in Week 1...the second meeting was much more competitive obviously as a young Longview squad improved a ton during the year...

Going into 2021; Ryan lost a lot (44 seniors) and their junior and sophomore classes are pretty average so a team that already lacked depth is really going to be pushed this year....

Longview is the exact opposite, the senior class that just graduated is pretty average for their standards & they are replacing those guys with a junior class thats loaded...its a group that we've been hearing about in these parts for a couple of years...add that group to a mix that already returned 14 starters and 40 lettermen and there you have it...

Either way we're splitting hairs but I have to disagree with you on this one. I didn't think DR had a bunch of depth last year either. The way they play guys somewhat mitigates their depth issues if you can really call them that. DR make their hay on the defensive side of the ball and I think they're the most loaded team in the class on defense. They have the best ILB in the entire country, Marquice Hill and Tre Bates both have major FBS offers on the defensive line, Chance Rucker just committed to Michigan State to play corner and Kaden Kelly has an FBS offer at safety. If they're healthy their defense probably doesn't take much of a step back if any at all? I think DR is a little thinner on offense but their RB, who I think is a little more hype than substance, just committed to OU, Davis is going to pick up more FBS offers at QB and they return their leading receiver from last year. Depth may truly become an issue but you have to get past those guys first. 

Longview is very talented but outside of Jalen Hale and the receiving core what other position group would you give the nod to Longview over DR in? O-line possibly? I also think Longview has more talent in their incoming junior class than the incoming senior class does. The '24s at Longview have just as many if not more offers than the '23s do already.  They also have to replace a pretty solid QB while DR bring their back. Again, splitting hairs but I just felt like DR probably should've gotten the nod. 

10 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

As Matthew328 stated, we were extremely young going into that first game against Ryan. Our entire secondary was sophomores, our starting running back was a sophomore. We had a junior QB that made mistake after mistake, that eventually led to him losing the starting position after the worst loss under our current head coach (McKinney North) where he had 5 turnovers.

Our offensive line was extremely young as well, so things just..the last two years have been tough for sure. The talent we had in 2017-2019 has not been there the last 2 seasons (minus Jalen Hale), and facing Highland Park/Denton Ryan 5 times in that time span definitely was humbling after having won 28 of 29 games in 2018/2019.

The group we have coming up is one we've been talking about ever since Haynes King stepped on the field for his senior season. You could tell they were going to be special even with as young as they were then.

Our entire offensive line returns, Tatum Taylor is back at running back as a junior, our secondary is the best secondary I have ever seen a Longview group have, and almost all of them are just juniors. Jalen Hale starts his 4th season as a Lobo on the varsity squad, the first freshmen to play on a Lobo varsity team in over 30 years and he's showed why with the amount of D1 offers he has. The receivers around him are extremely talented on top of it. Our defensive front should be out of this world. QB remains a question mark. Allen comes in as a 3 year starter now (battled back and worth in 2020 before winning it, battling it back and forth in 2021 before losing it). We will go as far as he takes us, no doubt. He is by far our weakest position, but when you have as much talent around you as he does this year, we're hoping it'll mask some things.

No doubt Denton Ryan is going to be impressive again. I'm more than happy we won't have to see them until Week 15 if we do have to face them. 3 losses in a row to a single team does not happen to Longview often. It's the first time in program history that we've ever lost to a team 3 times in just 13 games. But we would be more than battled test if we were to get to the Semis. Like I said earlier, we're 18-7 in the last 2 seasons which is just not Longview standards...but also 5 of the 7 losses have come to #1 Denton Ryan, or #2/#3 Highland Park so it is masked a bit considering 3 of those 5 losses were decided by one score. But we have not been elite by any stretch and I think a lot of us feel the group that is coming up (and the group behind them for that matter) is at that elite level.

No doubt a Crosby match up is looming in November. It's going to end up being one of those match ups we will have talked about all season long I feel. Looking forward to it potentially happening. And looking forward to keeping up with a new group of schools. I know we almost faced BH back in the late 2000s. I can imagine their fans don't want to make the travel to Longview this season (or next for that matter). Getting that home field in round 1 is going to be extremely important with the travel. Hopefully the district is a little more competition (district 8 that is) than I'm expecting it to be. Looks like a Crosby/PA Memorial run away, with BH in 3rd and the rest...well the rest being as bad as they are. But we'll see what happens.

I've already told my son that if they handle their business that they should get to play y'all in the 3rd round on Black Friday in Lufkin. Crosby filled the home side twice last year against Marshall and Texas High so I would expect a Crosby vs Longview game to get Abe Martin pretty close to capacity. Good luck to y'all and hopefully we can meet up healthy.  

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

@Mr. Buddy Garritywhere do y’all play BH at this year? 

Crosby vs Longview will be must see.

I wish "must see" and "have to see" were interchangeable, smh. While that game would be a must see for a bunch of random fans around the state, the have to see part of it for me usually leads to an excess intake of Johnnie Walker. That's win or lose though .  .  . 

9 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I wish "must see" and "have to see" were interchangeable, smh. While that game would be a must see for a bunch of random fans around the state, the have to see part of it for me usually leads to an excess intake of Johnnie Walker. That's win or lose though .  .  . 

Johnnie Walker blue label please. 

I am excited for Crosby future, going to miss our tough games against each other. They were always competitive.  

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I've already told my son that if they handle their business that they should get to play y'all in the 3rd round on Black Friday in Lufkin. Crosby filled the home side twice last year against Marshall and Texas High so I would expect a Crosby vs Longview game to get Abe Martin pretty close to capacity. Good luck to y'all and hopefully we can meet up healthy.  

I highly doubt King would agree to play Crosby at Lufkin.

It's not fun to play at that place. Tons of history for us there.

Now Saturday afternoon at SFA's Homer Bryce? That's more Lobo style.