Hardin-Jefferson 65 Hamshire-Fannett 50/FINAL

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Hardin-Jefferson 65 Hamshire-Fannett 50/FINAL

HJ turned it up in the 2nd half with Davis coming out on fire from behind the arc. 
Sears was huge with penetration and Melvo came up big on the block.

HF scores 3 in the 3rd and 3 in the 4th and never got in any type of flow. The Horns got away from #5 and he is money down low. I don’t think he shot the ball in the 4th. Good win for the Hawks! 

If you were at this game, it was clear as day why we lost. It was a great game for about 2qts and then one player on our team decided that he needed to no longer play team ball and turn the ball over 4 straight trips. Then our coach decided it was a good idea to sit our all region PG and our best shooter for most of the 3rd qrt. Our two best scorers and barely touched the ball after dominating the first half because their ALL REGION PG WAS ON THE BENCH! Who by the way was cooking as well in the first half! They lost because of a selfish player (who by the way had a tech and a flagrant foul that resulted into 4pts in the first half, then tried to fight Sears after coming out the locker room when RJ came to shake his hand) and horrible subbing. Hats off to HJ and Coach Davis for a perfect game plan in the 2nd half forcing the ball into that player's hand and watching it perfectly unfold. His guys came out and smelled blood in the waters. Sears was amazing, Isaiah Malbrough was the game MVP for me. HJ played team ball in the second half, HF didn't. This lost was solely on our coach unable to control one of his players and not benching him, along with bad subbing

2 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

If you were at this game, it was clear as day why we lost. It was a great game for about 2qts and then one player on our team decided that he needed to no longer play team ball and turn the ball over 4 straight trips. Then our coach decided it was a good idea to sit our all region PG and our best shooter for most of the 3rd qrt. Our two best scorers and barely touched the ball after dominating the first half because their ALL REGION PG WAS ON THE BENCH! Who by the way was  They lost because of a selfish player (who by the way had a tech and a flagrant foul that resulted into 4pts in the first half, then tried to fight Sears after coming out the locker room when RJ came to shake his hand) and horrible subbing. Hats off to HJ and Coach Davis for a perfect game plan in the 2nd half forcing the ball into that player's hand and watching it perfectly unfold. His guys came out and smelled blood in the waters. Sears was amazing, Isaiah Malbrough was the game MVP for me. HJ played team ball in the second half, HF didn't. This lost was solely on our coach unable to control one of his players and not benching him!

🤔 😳 Whoa. 

HF lost this ball game because they got away from feeding the ball down low to #5. He is the best ball player on their squad. They also seemed to struggle with conditioning. They are very suspect on the defensive end. The HF coach made a wholesale substitution to start the 4th but I can’t blame him after watching his squad score 3 points in the 3rd. I would be hard pressed to question the HF staff. They have one of the best assistant coaches in the area. 

Just now, whsalum said:

HF lost this ball game because they got away from feeding the ball down low to #5. He is the best ball player on their squad. They also seemed to struggle with conditioning. They are very suspect on the defensive end. The HF coach made a wholesale substitution to start the 4th but I can’t blame him after watching his squad score 3 points in the 3rd. I would be hard pressed to question the HF staff. They have one of the best assistant coaches in the area. 

When a player comes down 5 straight trips and turns the ball over because he refused to run the offense that got the ball to #5 and you sit your PG who is the primary passer on your team in the 3rd, yeah you will lose. We had 3 players in double figures going into halftime and neither of them got the ball within the offensive flow in the 2nd half because of 1 player and a bad sub. Your PG doesn't come off the floor, especially when he's playing at a high level, unless he's in foul trouble or hurt. He was neither 🤷🏾‍♂️. Him coming out hurt us defensively because it allowed Malbrough to go up against a smaller defender and he took advantage. Dude was balling! Offensively not having your starting PG in the game moves #23 to the PG and off the wing which is why #5 couldn't get the ball down low. They were running a high low feed with him getting the ball from the wing down low or the high post from the PG. They are our two best passers and playmakers in the offense. Take one off against a tough defensive team like HJ and your post player has only one entry point which is easily defended. You also take off your best shooter in #3 which allows the backside defense to cheat over and double team the entry pass or player once he got it down low. 10 turnovers from two players in the 2nd half allowed HJ to take the lead and close it out. #5 was the mismatch all night but if you have players that refuse to run the offense to get him the ball consistently, then he can't do anything 

21 minutes ago, no-look said:

Sometimes defensive adjustments will change course of the game. What works first half might not work the second half. 

Very true. HJ did a good of fronting the big kid in the post which made it harder for him to get the entry pass. They also were very successful with a little trap in the 4th quarter. Bottom line for HF to be successful #5 has to touch the basketball. If I were on the Horns sideline I’d make sure he touched it every trip down the floor. Kid is strong as a bull and doesn’t shy away from game 

45 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

When a player comes down 5 straight trips and turns the ball over because he refused to run the offense that got the ball to #5 and you sit your PG who is the primary passer on your team in the 3rd, yeah you will lose. We had 3 players in double figures going into halftime and neither of them got the ball within the offensive flow in the 2nd half because of 1 player and a bad sub. Your PG doesn't come off the floor, especially when he's playing at a high level, unless he's in foul trouble or hurt. He was neither 🤷🏾‍♂️. Him coming out hurt us defensively because it allowed Malbrough to go up against a smaller defender and he took advantage. Dude was balling! Offensively not having your starting PG in the game moves #23 to the PG and off the wing which is why #5 couldn't get the ball down low. They were running a high low feed with him getting the ball from the wing down low or the high post from the PG. They are our two best passers and playmakers in the offense. Take one off against a tough defensive team like HJ and your post player has only one entry point which is easily defended. You also take off your best shooter in #3 which allows the backside defense to cheat over and double team the entry pass or player once he got it down low. 10 turnovers from two players in the 2nd half allowed HJ to take the lead and close it out. #5 was the mismatch all night but if you have players that refuse to run the offense to get him the ball consistently, then he can't do anything 

I think the substitutions he made were made because the starters were out of gas. That and he was looking for scoring. The blond headed kid came in and hit a 3 but that was it. I think #23 had a 3 point play with a minute left in the 4th but the game was over by then. HF has defensive liabilities all over the floor. At the end of the day the coach doesn’t have but so many pieces to work with and HJ just has more pieces this year. 

6 hours ago, whsalum said:

I think the substitutions he made were made because the starters were out of gas. That and he was looking for scoring. The blond headed kid came in and hit a 3 but that was it. I think #23 had a 3 point play with a minute left in the 4th but the game was over by then. HF has defensive liabilities all over the floor. At the end of the day the coach doesn’t have but so many pieces to work with and HJ just has more pieces this year. 

Blonde head kid scored in the first half. Only two players to score in the 2nd was #5 and #23, both had and 1s. The only subs he made that was bad was taking his PG off the floor for most of the 3rd and his best shooter #3 for the majority of the 2nd half. The blonde head kid is a shooter as well and should have played more. Our liabilities are 2 players who consistently refuse to play team ball while on the floor and who cause turmoil in the locker room by blaming others. The rest of the team leaves it on the floor, win or lose. 3 of our starters were dominating the first half by moving the ball and exploiting mismatches. The 2nd half happened because we had a 4th starter who was unhappy with his point production and took upon himself to change that turning the ball over 4 straight times and killing the offensive flow we had. He literally was HJs best player/defender in the 2nd half 🤷🏾‍♂️🤣🤦🏾‍♂️. HJ has guys that believe in each other and sticks to the game plan. We a couple players who will throw fits and/or yell at their teammates and coach if they not playing well or scoring. It's crazy!