Vidor vs Splendora

Hagar

1 hour ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Has Mathews broke the .500 mark yet ? I know he was close a decade ago. Surely he is there by now

not yet.

JEFF MATHEWS
22 years; 103-117-0; 7-1-0

1999  Vidor                               5-5-0
2000  Vidor                               4-7-0 T
2001  Vidor                               6-4-0
2002  Vidor                               6-4-0
2003  Vidor                               2-8-0
2004  Vidor                               3-6-0
2005  Vidor                               4-4-0
2006  Vidor                               3-7-0
2007  Vidor                               2-8-0
2008  Vidor                               5-4-0
2009  Vidor                               7-4-0 F
2010  Vidor                               2-8-0
2011  Vidor                             10-3-0 T
2012  Vidor                               9-2-0 R
2013  Vidor                               4-6-0
2014  Vidor                               2-8-0
2015  Vidor                               3-7-0
2016  Vidor                               8-3-0 C
2017  Vidor                               5-4-0 F
2018  Vidor                               4-6-0
2019  Vidor                               5-4-0
2020  Vidor                               4-5-0 F

My best guess, he’ll exceed the .500 mark by the end of next year.  And keep in mind that for most of his time he was coaching in the smallest school in a 5A-D2 District.  What you can’t put a number on is the character the kids learn from playing for Matthews.  Believe it or not, there’s more to HS football (sports) than winning or losing.  The people of Vidor appear to be happy with him so other opinions are irrelevant.

12 hours ago, piratevillain said:

It was worth a shot to ask.😂

But don't worry, I'll keep you updated tomorrow night!

I might have “accidentally” did something right.  TL let me to the subscribe login this morning.  I’m going to gamble my $10.95 that it’ll work.  🙏🙏🙏

1 hour ago, piratevillain said:

I think one question that riles most pirate fans up especially on the town's facebook group page is when that one fan ask why Mathews doesn't pass the ball. It's said at least once a year! 😂

I honestly think if y’all could throw the ball 10 to 15 times would probably help y’all get to the next level. You have to get those guys from stacking the box. 

18 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

I honestly think if y’all could throw the ball 10 to 15 times would probably help y’all get to the next level. You have to get those guys from stacking the box. 

Jasper was stacking the box against us, and were shooting gaps all night and we passed it once late in the 4th and they were over us like white on rice on that one play and nearly intercepted. So I understand why Mathews didn't throw it that whole game. But other games with less athletes on defense, I don't understand why we don't throw it more either.

15 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Correct.  The frustrating thing, some will stack the box & we still run.  The one exception, again, was the 2019 Crosby game (not picking on Crosby).  They put 11 in and we threw, and won.

This is the hidden content, please

1 minute ago, Hagar said:

Correct.  The frustrating thing, some will stack the box & we still run.  The one exception, again, was the 2019 Crosby game (not picking on Crosby).  They put 11 in and we threw, and won.

You're about to summon The Mecca on this thread.😭🤣

3 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

You're about to summon The Mecca on this thread.😭🤣

Lmbo, you’re probably right, but the corrective criticism is directed at the Pirates not the Cougars.  Still, those folks are pretty sensitive 😂

7 minutes ago, Hagar said:

The difference in the Jasper and Crosby game. Jasper sold completely out on the run and had the LBs at the line of scrimmage and gave Vidor zero time to roll out and throw it, Crosby played their LBs about 3-4 yards off the line and gave us what we wanted.

4 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

Jasper was stacking the box against us, and were shooting gaps all night and we passed it once late in the 4th and they were over us like white on rice on that one play and nearly intercepted. So I understand why Mathews didn't throw it that whole game. But other games with less athletes on defense, I don't understand why we don't throw it more either.

3 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I understand the line has protection problems. What I mean by next level is playoff football. Playing teams like Austin LBJ, Argyle, Levega, Carthage any of the top 5 in the state your going to have to throw the ball to win playoff games. LCM in 1997 went 4 rounds deep in the playoff running the wishbone well like Vidor’s wing T.  We Played power house Lamarque we score 20 points on running the ball we might have thrown the ball 5 times in that game. I love Coach David Williams but he never wanted to throw the ball. He will tell you that today that he is gonna run the  ball down your throat. He has told me personally that he thinks the spread offense has ruined football lol. When you play good teams you gotta Throw the ball to keep there defense off balance. 

38 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

I understand the line has protection problems. What I mean by next level is playoff football. Playing teams like Austin LBJ, Argyle, Levega, Carthage any of the top 5 in the state your going to have to throw the ball to win playoff games. LCM in 1997 went 4 rounds deep in the playoff running the wishbone well like Vidor’s wing T.  We Played power house Lamarque we score 20 points on running the ball we might have thrown the ball 5 times in that game. I love Coach David Williams but he never wanted to throw the ball. He will tell you that today that he is gonna run the  ball down your throat. He has told me personally that he thinks the spread offense has ruined football lol. When you play good teams you gotta Throw the ball to keep there defense off balance. 

Oh, I know where you're coming from now and I agree. You have to throw the ball to keep the defense honest, especially in the playoffs cause great coaches pick up on those type of trends and Mathews/Vidor is notorious for passing when we're in desperation mode and I can almost call it when we're gonna pass when the game gets like that. Vidor needs to stay somewhat consistent with throwing it 4-5 times a game, I think to keep teams guessing. But I never knew LCM ran the wishbone during that deep playoff run, it's pretty cool to know that!

Just now, piratevillain said:

Oh, I know where you're coming from now and I agree. You have to throw the ball to keep the defense honest, especially in the playoffs cause great coaches pick up on those type of trends and Mathews/Vidor is notorious for passing when we're in desperation mode and I can almost call it when we're gonna pass. At least stay consistent with throwing it 4-5 times a game, I think. But I never knew LCM ran the wishbone during that deep playoff run, it's pretty cool to know that!

Oh yea through 1994 to 2000. I grew up in the wishbone system. It’s fun to watch option football but when you have dline men getting in the backfield or it’s 3rd long your kinda screwed lol

Just now, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Oh yea through 1994 to 2000. I grew up in the wishbone system. It’s fun to watch option football but when you have dline men getting in the backfield or it’s 3rd long your kinda screwed lol

That's the only thing bad about run heavy offenses, once you get behind those sticks, it's basically a drive killer.

Just now, piratevillain said:

That's the only thing bad about run heavy offenses, once you get behind those sticks, it's basically a drive killer.

Yep I love old school football. But I believe in throwing the ball. If Vidor can get that offense throwing the ball more I really think y’all could be dangerous. 

Just now, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Yep I love old school football. But I believe in throwing the ball. If Vidor can get that offense throwing the ball more I really think y’all could be dangerous. 

I honestly think so too, but it goes for any team. Its hard to win games when you get one dimensional. 

I mean look at LSU last Saturday, Auburn sold out on the pass cause they knew the Tigers had no run game in the second half, and came back and won. You have to be somewhat balanced in any type of offense, if you want to win.