Silsbee 78 Lumberton 64/FINAL

52 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

One of those seniors (Baltrip) was his first start. Gilder, the other senior, has started all season since football was over.

Of the 78 points scored by Silsbee last night, all but 24 was scored by soph. and fresh. (24 from a senior Gilder, 34 from fresh., 20 from soph.)

Gilder and Baltrip were the only seniors to play last night. The bulk of the total minutes played were by fresh. and soph.

Yes all the games I have seen in person or online since football season at least have had 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores along with Gilder starting except I seem to remember one with Haynes a jr starting.  I felt that Baltrip drew the start just to defend McClure.

3 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes all the games I have seen in person or online since football season at least have had 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores along with Gilder starting except I seem to remember one with Haynes a jr starting.  I felt that Baltrip drew the start just to defend McClure.

If Baltrip is #12, he is probably the most athletic player on the team and can jump out of the gym. 

Hard to be younger than this Silsbee team.  They seemed really young last year (obviously with a senior that will go down as one of the all time greats there) but this year they are even younger. 

I will say that the two seniors seemed to really step it up last night and played really well.  Even though it’s only a couple of kids, having senior leadership on such a young team is huge.  This team might end up really surprising some of us (me included). 

13 hours ago, TxHoops said:

You are absolutely right on Prudhomme.   Missed him.  Loved Saladin’s game but McClure’s size and athleticism puts him on a different level.  But no one got more out of what God gave him than Michael 

I dont think HJ has a player in their history who was better than 

McCain 

Adams 

Bush 

Holden 

Chris Miller 

4 hours ago, Byrdiug said:

Not a basketball guy, but I have watched some decent players the last few years when I went to watch Hefner play. I have seen Lumberton play once early this year. It is incredibly naive of you guys to not acknowledge that McClure has had no one around him that can score the basketball. In the game earlier this year there was no one around him that could finish or knock down shots. Talking to people in the area that know basketball, they tell me it is still the same;  McClure doing it all with little help. Whereas the guys you are listing have had great team success due to having good players take pressure off of their best players. Something lumberton has never had the luxury of doing. A few of these players that are being named are having success because they are surrounded by other good players. 

I agree with several of your points but I’m not being naive at all. In the ballgame last night the Tigers were able to pretty well man up and not offer a lot of help. Your argument while valid has another side to it, if you only have one player who can score he should have a good ppg average.I wish the young man nothing but the best.

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

You can argue with these guys until you are blue in the face.  Had some of these same conversations last year re Hefner.  All he has done is go to a high D1 school and play meaningful minutes and even start some games.  As a freshman.  They get confused over HS vs college ball which are two completely different animals that are universes apart.  McClure has the size and skill set that will, like Hefner, garner him minutes and make him a very impactful player for Lamar.  I didn’t say star or all conference or any of that (although the way I understand he works, I won’t sell him short and say it’s out of the question).  But he will earn his scholarship there, I have no doubt.  

But save your breath would be my advice.  People either know and get it or they don’t.  You won’t convince them otherwise.  And for someone who claims not to be a basketball guy, your posts on this thread seem to indicate otherwise. 

I never made this argument about Hefner. His skill set and McClures aren’t close. I hope I’m wrong about Brock but we’ll see.If I am I’ll be the first to admit it. 

2 hours ago, DeuceSixSuited said:

I can’t discuss basketball with some of these people. Just have no clue. Y’all win 

Someday I hope to get the vast grasp of the game you seem to think you have. Did you gain all that knowledge in your teens or did ya soak some of it up in your twenties? But you’re right this is beating a dead horse. One thing that was clear last night is Silsbee is the undisputed favorite in this district. 

16 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I forgot about West Brook’s Parquet.  But yes, if you count him as a Hawk (and he certainly doesn’t), Eli is definitely better.  If you don’t count Parquet, you would go back to Kenyon probably.  Yes, I’m skipping Zjori.  And I would bet Brock averages more than 6 & 3 for his career as a Cardinal.  

I think Prudhome would hold the title of best Hawk. Zjori did a lot of the Cards with defense and leadership than the stats showed though. 

12 minutes ago, Tyler Dixson said:

I think Prudhome would hold the title of best Hawk. Zjori did a lot of the Cards with defense and leadership than the stats showed though. 

I would go with Kenyon but Prudhomme would be runner up.  I completely missed him.  If you include Eli, I would put him above Prudhomme too. 

Not knocking Zjori.  Even though he was originally a walk on, he was a nice role player for the Cards.  He struggled to get minutes at times but that’s not uncommon at the college level (as you know).  I was just willing to bet Brock will put up better numbers at the same school with the same coach than Bosha did over his career. 

41 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Bush or MacArthur for Silsbee

HJ had some great ones Spears and Bosha

McClure us best ever for Lumberton 

David Brown, 6'8".  Played in the final four tourney.   RIP.  Pour some drink out.   Michael Dabney. You should have seen him.  Words cannot describe how good he was.  James Hunter. If he wasn't so good a football he would of lit up basketball.   James Simmons.  Simmons??  Hey, full ride scolly to Rice.  Graduated magna cum laude at a tier one law school.  30 40 years practicing law.  All that gotta translate to Silsbee basketball greatness some kinda way.