Orange Country Basketball on the RISE

I know most aren't paying attention but all the Orange Counties Schools will be battling it out in the same district this year.  Most on here think and rightfully so that the District will be controlled in Hardin County with Silsbee and Lumberton. However, I will not be surprised if one of the Orange County Schools takes the district 22-4A this season.  Here's why?

Jesse Doucett from LCM is a stud and his team is seasoned to make a run.  I had the opportunity to watch in a summer league ran at a local church this summer and they're very fun to watch.  Also they have been playing with each other for a while now.  Sophomore guard is one of the best on ball defenders I have seen in the OC.

Wrinkle from OF can shoot lights out and is surrounded with shooters.  Wrinkle has the highest basketball IQ in OC and can take over a game.  He really makes everyone around him better.  

BC is another shooting team that will be fun to watch on offense.  They're going to put shots up and they will go in.  They can shoot from 1-5 and their bench can shoot it to.  You can't sleep when guarding any of their dudes.

Vidor is always a tough nosed team that will pose trouble every outing.  They were the only team I did not see in the summer league and the one I know the least about.

WOS has athletes and with their new coach who coached my niece last season will be fun to watch.  I guarantee he will let his athletes play.  As always football will hurt WOS but when he get them boys in the mix they will be really good.  Difference between him and last few coaches is he coaches only basketball.  So he keep they gym open and his boys stay shooting the ball which we need over here.  

These are just a few reason why I think that Orange County can make some noise.  

I hope you’re right but I believe Hardin County still controls this district.  Silsbee and Lumberton should finish 1-2   Silsbee will always have the most quality depth and Lumberton has the best player in the district this year in McClure.  

As for the Orange County teams, you left out the best player (imo).  Grant Boudreaux is the most complete player  and has an elite basketball IQ.  He is a true combo guard that can play both positions equally well.  

I will qualify that by saying this is among LCM, BC, and OF.  I’m not as familiar with what WOS and Vidor have coming back.  

I agree with Mr. Tx hoops.  1 Silsbee, 2 Lumberton, 3 West Orange, 4 Vidor.  Silsbee has the best athletes.  L-Town has best player and great coaching.  West Orange has real good athletes.  Vidor has higher school numbers.  Bc, Ofield, and lcm have some good players but they're behind.  Maybe the Bobcats can get another 6'10 transfer to get them to the top.

15 hours ago, Elvis Presley said:

I agree with Mr. Tx hoops.  1 Silsbee, 2 Lumberton, 3 West Orange, 4 Vidor.  Silsbee has the best athletes.  L-Town has best player and great coaching.  West Orange has real good athletes.  Vidor has higher school numbers.  Bc, Ofield, and lcm have some good players but they're behind.  Maybe the Bobcats can get another 6'10 transfer to get them to the top.

Spot on with your top 4. I would maybe switch a few around.

1. Lumberton-Mitchell and McClure...what more do you need? 

2. Silsbee-It is still Silsbee 

3. Vidor-I expect my pirates to get back into the playoffs for the first time in quite awhile. Dropping down from 5A has its benefits, see Lumberton. 

4. WOS-Athletes and a new coach who is a proven winner on the female side. 

LCM, BC, and Orangefield battling for 5th. 

Does McClure have any help at all in Lumberton? Teams are just gonna gang up up him if he doesn't. Same with LCM. When I seen them play, it was one kid doing most the work.

I'd imagine we'll be seeing a healthy does of Harper/Harris for Silsbee early in the season.

Bridge City is a decent team as long as they're making their 3s. Problem is it's hard to shoot consistently like that for four quarters.

WOS games just won't be the same anymore with out Coach Barstool, although the team will probably play better.

1 hour ago, bballfan342 said:

Spot on with your top 4. I would maybe switch a few around.

1. Lumberton-Mitchell and McClure...what more do you need? 

2. Silsbee-It is still Silsbee 

3. Vidor-I expect my pirates to get back into the playoffs for the first time in quite awhile. Dropping down from 5A has its benefits, see Lumberton. 

4. WOS-Athletes and a new coach who is a proven winner on the female side. 

LCM, BC, and Orangefield battling for 5th. 

Gimme a break!  Lumberton coach win percentage probably wouldn't even make for a good batting average and now we're pumping up girls coaches?  Neither one of those teams gets close to the playoffs.

I am happy that we have thread going this long about Orange County Basketball so it's a win already.  That being said here is my prediction for the district.

Silsbee (have to stick with the Kings until their dethroned)

LCM (I would not be surprised if the win the district) a lot of team chemistry and they shoot it well.

WOS (even with the girls coach he will get them better, my niece is in college because of Coach Wilson, he's a players coach and our boys will respond after the Barstow beat downs) It also helps that he had a 6'4 transfer from Dallas and a 6'2 from Doby

Lumberton (D1 Mcclure should get them there.  Also better defensively than the remaining in the district)

19 hours ago, Elvis Presley said:

Looks about right to me.  I think if pressed, I would go this exact order with Bridge City as a sleeper. 

3 hours ago, Zebra101 said:

Gimme a break!  Lumberton coach win percentage probably wouldn't even make for a good batting average and now we're pumping up girls coaches?  Neither one of those teams gets close to the playoffs.

Coach Mitchell is the winningest coach in Lumberton history. Avg almost 16 wins a season vs 7 wins under different coaches from 2002-2012.

And for most of his coaching seasons at lumberton he was in 5a district going up against ozen, central, nederland, pa 

6 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Coach Mitchell is the winningest coach in Lumberton history. Avg almost 16 wins a season vs 7 wins under different coaches from 2002-2012.

And for most of his coaching seasons at lumberton he was in 5a district going up against ozen, central, nederland, pa 

So question:  is over .500 a good batting average?

36 minutes ago, Southeastxsports2020 said:

Seems like a hater on the board lol, lumberton basketball program has made big strides. I don’t know how good they will be this year but if some are talking about Lumberton maybe competing for a district title then that has to be a first so the coach must be doing something right. 

Judging by the handle, he might be a referee that has a beef with Coach Mitchell.  And if he’s a SETX referee, we all know who the “clueless” one is. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Well given that the avg mlb batting avg is around .240 I would say it’s double the avg.....I’m no statistical genius but I would say that’s pretty darn gooooddd

On 10/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, Zebra101 said:

Is this supposed to be a knock on Girls coaches?  Basketball is basketball.  The Golden Triangle has several Girls coaches that I have coached against that coach any boys team in this area.  Screens are screens, sets are sets, presses are presses... 

Foolish comment....

On 10/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, whsalum said:

I’m curious what Lumberton has to help McClure as well?? I know they graduated heavy and I didn’t see a ton of help coming from the underclass men . Coach Mitchell does a great job but his work is cut out for him this year.

I know we have Koch’s younger cousin who’s a sophomore and is good. He’s made a lot of big plays for varsity football also. I know we’ll be perfectly fine this season with Mitchell coaching these boys! 

3 hours ago, RaiderGirl2010 said:

I know we have Koch’s younger cousin who’s a sophomore and is good. He’s made a lot of big plays for varsity football also. I know we’ll be perfectly fine this season with Mitchell coaching these boys! 

Do you know how many players are returning on the varsity? Not much help coming from the lower classes. 

4 hours ago, RaiderGirl2010 said: