Best "Team" Ever At Your School?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im from LCM and I would say our 97 team that advanced to the state quarterfinals where we lost to the eventual state champion Lamarque. Our 94 team that went undefeated in the regular season may have been the best but an injury to our star running back prevented us from going very far in the playoffs. Lost to the Michael Bishop led Willis Wildcats in the 2nd round.

I agree, the '77 team was probably Silsbee's best, lost in state semis to eventual state champ Dickinson 12-0. Dickinson won the state game over Brownwood 40-14. Many have said the Silsbee-Dickinson game was really the championship game.

I also liked the '98 Silsbee team. After starting off the season 2-3, this team kept getting better and better every week, finally losing to LaMarque in the regional finals 21-12. LaMarque lost in the state finals that year to Stephenville.

p.s. The Tigers started their playoff run that year with a first round win over previously undefeated WOS. Loved that game. ;D

This will get some folks at The Hill upset but I would have to go with the 1999 Barbers Hill Eagles. :-* The defense was super tough. :'( The offense put up decent points and they went deeper in the playoffs than any EAGLE teams since the 70"s. :)

For PN-G I would say the 1975 State Champions. That year the Tribe went (14-1) avenging their only loss of the season to South Houston (lost by 1) by stomping the Trojans 32-7 in the playoffs. PN-G would go onto beat Odessa Permian in the title game. Following the season the Indians were ranked as the #3 team in the nation.

A close 2nd came in 1977 when PN-G outscored their opponents by an average of 29-8 finishing 14-1 losing the title game to Plano 13-10 before the largest crowd to ever witness a high school football game (49,000+).

The 1987 West Orange Stark Mustangs (15-0)

In week two beat the #3 team in the nation, Aldine Macarther

Other key wins that year were #3 ranked Jasper, #8 ranked Silbee, #2 ranked Kerville Tivy, and in the state championship game gave up only 7 points to the Rockwall Yellowjackets, whose offensive coordinator was the great Todd Dodge.  The Mustangs recorded six shutouts, and the most points given up in any game was 15.  This team has been selected as Dave Cambell's 4AAAA Team of the 80's.

I agree, the '77 team was probably Silsbee's best, lost in state semis to eventual state champ Dickinson 12-0. Dickinson won the state game over Brownwood 40-14. Many have said the Silsbee-Dickinson game was really the championship game.

I also liked the '98 Silsbee team. After starting off the season 2-3, this team kept getting better and better every week, finally losing to LaMarque in the regional finals 21-12. LaMarque lost in the state finals that year to Stephenville.

p.s. The Tigers started their playoff run that year with a first round win over previously undefeated WOS. Loved that game. ;D

'98 was a great run.  I really liked the '93 squad with McGuire and Rhone in the backfield.  If Jasper wouldn't have broke Mcguire's leg there is no telling how far that squad could have gotten. 

For West Hardin its probably a toss up between the 2003 team and the 1987 team. The 87 team were district champs in there 2a district and went 8-3 and had a few shutouts. The 2003 team lost only one game prior to the playoffs. They were tri district champs in 24-aa and defeated East Chambers 35-12 and were tied for 5th in the state in defense giving up only 11.8 points per game and scoring 32 points per game. Every starter on defense was either 1st or second team all district but one and he was honorable mention in 03 and had 2 honorable mention all state players one at corner and one at noseguard.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder