Houston Yates 81 Hardin-Jefferson 69/FINAL

WOSgrad

6 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

China Springs is solid as wel as Palestine. I see Silsbee vs Palastine to go to state. Silsbee has 5 ball handlers on the court at all times. Not sure Argle makes it to state. 4A is very deep in Region 2. Luckily only one can make it. 

Argyle is region 1 this year. 

12 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

If Silsbee 3 peats this year, I truly believe they were a Devon McCain injury away from matching Yates’ 4 championships...in 4 years. But a 3 peat will place this team firmly in the history books.   

As for high school “national championships” (and no offense to North Shore football this year), fairy tales are nice.  But real hardware is won on the court (or field).  If you didn’t play for it, you didn’t earn it.  Just my opinion. 

Remember, two of Yates four state titles came due to Dallas Madison having to forfeit those titles. Madison beat Yates on the floor. Just did it with ineligible player.

19 minutes ago, mrb said:

when you use an ineligible player on the floor then you cheated and you really didn't win but whatever makes you happy. I don't have anything against Silsbee  and I was pulling for you guys in football but some of you have real hate for Yates. 

I really haven't seen any hate for Yates on this board. One stating that they don't think Yates is THAT good or that they think a team is better than Yates doesn't mean they hate.

26 minutes ago, mrb said:

when you use an ineligible player on the floor then you cheated and you really didn't win but whatever makes you happy. I don't have anything against Silsbee  and I was pulling for you guys in football but some of you have real hate for Yates. 

“Hate” gets thrown around too much these days.  Just because you aren’t rooting for a team in a certain game or don’t think a team is as good in a particular year as some of their fans doesn’t mean you “have hate” for that team.  If Yates wins the region, I will be pulling for them at state.  I was pulling for HJ last night but thought they were a long shot.  In other words, I thought Yates would likely win.  And I have nothing but “love” for the Hawks and their coach.  

And I have nothing but love for some of Yates former players that I’ve known.  Jacob Young played there fairly recently was a heckuva player and a good kid and I’ve known and been close to Mitch from last year’s team since he was a 12 year old in Louisiana.   Skin is awfully thin with some of the Yates’ fans apparently.  

2 hours ago, mrb said:

I'm not getting into this whole everyone hates Yates things, but it should be noted that if Madison was in HISD the player would have been eligible. Dallas ISD is not open enrollment like Houston ISD is with choosing your high school.

13 minutes ago, RaiderRed30 said:

This.

It's only round two and you already have two top ten matchups with the winners getting another top ten team in the third round.

Ridiculous. 

I got the whole Yates hater thing the other day when I said there were probably at least a half dozen teams in the metroplex that would be a solid favorite over the Lions.   Again, that’s not a slam on Yates or anyone else.  It’s a statement on how unbelievably loaded 4-A region 2 is this year.   I would have to be reminded of a year where one region in one class had so many teams capable of winning it all.  I don’t remember one.  

And I definitely root for Houston basketball over Dallas.  But there’s a difference between rooting and reality sometimes. 

20 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Ridiculous. 

I got the whole Yates hater thing the other day when I said there were probably at least a half dozen teams in the metroplex that would be a solid favorite over the Lions.   Again, that’s not a slam on Yates or anyone else.  It’s a statement on how unbelievably loaded 4-A region 2 is this year.   I would have to be reminded of a year where one region in one class had so many teams capable of winning it all.  I don’t remember one.  

And I definitely root for Houston basketball over Dallas.  But there’s a difference between rooting and reality sometimes. 

Oak Cliff Faith Family, Wilmer-Hutchins, Dunbar, Lincoln, Carter, Kennedale and Pinkston. All region 2 in DFW and 4 in the same district. Add Argyle and Decatur over in region 1 but DFW schools and it is loaded in 4A. Pretty soon Brock will be up in 4A and Madison could come back up as well. 

11 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

For a few weeks now I have been asked by many people on what I think about the Silsbee/Yates match up. My answer has been the same each time. I'm not that worried about Yates. Are they capable of beating Silsbee? Yes. But they are not the team that concerns me the most. Like I have stated before, it's teams like Argyle, Decatur, Palestine, China Spring, Wilmer-Hutchins and such that really concern me. They are very capable of slowing Silsbee down enough to cause problems and defeat Silsbee. Yates, well they do what Silsbee wants you to do, play up tempo and give up easy baskets. You don't have to shoot lights out to beat Yates. Take care of the ball, defend, make free throws.

Hardin-Jefferson played exactly like they were coached up to do and played a heck of a game. They stuck to their game plan and almost pulled off the win. Had they tried to get in a track meet with Yates, they would have lost by 30. Yates getting hot from three line in 2nd half along with HJ losing a couple of players due to foul trouble was the difference.

I'll take Clay Davis with his game planning and in-game adjustments over Greg Wise and his stubborn will of only playing one way everyday and twice on Sunday.

Clay Davis with his game planning and in-game adjustments is now a fan.  Greg Wise is preparing for another playoff game.  Hey you don't have to worry about Palestine.

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

IFor a few weeks now I have been asked by many people on what I think about the Silsbee/Yates match up. My answer has been the same each time. I'm not that worried about Yates. Are they capable of beating Silsbee? Yes. But they are not the team that concerns me the most. Like I have stated before, it's teams like Argyle, Decatur, Palestine, China Spring, Wilmer-Hutchins and such that really concern me. They are very capable of slowing Silsbee down enough to cause problems and defeat Silsbee. Yates, well they do what Silsbee wants you to do, play up tempo and give up easy baskets. You don't have to shoot lights out to beat Yates. Take care of the ball, defend, make free throws.

Hardin-Jefferson played exactly like they were coached up to do and played a heck of a game. They stuck to their game plan and almost pulled off the win. Had they tried to get in a track meet with Yates, they would have lost by 30. Yates getting hot from three line in 2nd half along with HJ losing a couple of players due to foul trouble was the difference.

I'll take Clay Davis with his game planning and in-game adjustments over Greg Wise and his stubborn will of only playing one way everyday and twice on Sunday.

If Silsbee is even close to what they were last year. China spring is a team you won’t have to worry about! #3 is only kid that can create his own shot. Don’t get me wrong they have lights out shooting but the pressure Silsbee can force will buckle a team like that

On 2/22/2019 at 0:57 PM, BADSANTA said:

China Springs is solid as wel as Palestine. I see Silsbee vs Palastine to go to state. Silsbee has 5 ball handlers on the court at all times. Not sure Argle makes it to state. 4A is very deep in Region 2. Luckily only one can make it. 

So who do you predict to play Silsbee now sense Palestine did not make it out of the Area Round of the Playoffs???

On 2/22/2019 at 2:00 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

I really haven't seen any hate for Yates on this board. One stating that they don't think Yates is THAT good or that they think a team is better than Yates doesn't mean they hate.

All I wanna know is how many more of these meaningless games before Yates and silsbee DANCE!!