Splendora @ Lumberton / District title on line for both teams

VP93....

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Like I said, nothing against the young QB at all. Lumberton is lucky to have him. According to my sources which are from Lumberton and have kids on JV and Varsity, he was playing QB on JV, got brought up to varsity as a DB, then took over as a QB when the starter got hurt. Even against the lower level teams he couldn’t complete almost any passes. Idk if it’s his fault, the receiver’s fault or a combination of both. Truth is the stats say that Lumberton can’t complete the few passes they have thrown. Against Huffman, they sure could’ve used a more balanced attack in the 1st half. 

Why run the starting RB at all with the logic you gave? The few times he ran, did he run better than the backups? No. He’s not 100% is why. 

I wish both teams a healthy outing and a great game. It would be really cool to see that young QB from Lumberton to lead that offense to a victory and upset Splendora. But it would be just that. An upset. 

Good luck to both. I hope to see it in person. 

That’s a fair assessment. I can respect that.

21 hours ago, LC-M said:

Well my wife graduated from there and those were the colors when she left. They must have added them later down the line

On 10/29/2018 at 3:23 PM, SmashMouth said:

I figured. It was an attempt to be comical. If you’ve ever been to a Lumberton game, everyone in the stands has puke blue on (except for the band - they wear black for some reason).

Actually, if you take a closer look at the Lumberton Band uniforms they are actually Royal Blue with a part of them being Columbian Blue and rather than quote two different people, Lumnbertons' school colors are Red, White, Columbian Blue and Silver, we have four colors.

I graduated from there also in 1977 and the decision way back in 1967 was that the colors would be those four. Now that being said there was a time period when the school seemed to be lost as far as the colors went and people were trying to change the colors. Mostly they were wanting to change Columbian blue to the Royal blue but they finally got their head together and went back to what it's supposed to be.

Been listening to all this about Lumberton defense, offense, excuses, injuries, etc. I want the team to be successful, but I'm also am realistic. The teams played have a combined record of 26-40.  That with an 8-0 Jasper in there. Lost to a 3-6 Concordia team and to 2 smaller 4A teams. Teams also have a combined district record of 8-18.  Weak schedule, partly due to being in probably the weakest 4A D1 district. If not, then maybe 2nd weakest behind the district with Furr in it. But that district does have Navasota in it. Either way, both bad.  Lucky thing is, both districts play into each other 1st round in Playoffs.   Prediction: Our district 1st & 2nd place teams (Spendora & Lumberton....maybe LCM sneaks in there....possible) will win 1st round playoff games. 3rd place team may win too.  4th place will not beat Navasota.  None of our teams will get out of 2nd round of playoffs.  Lumberton is average team who plays hard. But gonna take more than a one dimensional offense, slow defense, and generic play calling to beat good teams.

54 minutes ago, Coach #23 said:

Been listening to all this about Lumberton defense, offense, excuses, injuries, etc. I want the team to be successful, but I'm also am realistic. The teams played have a combined record of 26-40.  That with an 8-0 Jasper in there. Lost to a 3-6 Concordia team and to 2 smaller 4A teams. Teams also have a combined district record of 8-18.  Weak schedule, partly due to being in probably the weakest 4A D1 district. If not, then maybe 2nd weakest behind the district with Furr in it. But that district does have Navasota in it. Either way, both bad.  Lucky thing is, both districts play into each other 1st round in Playoffs.   Prediction: Our district 1st & 2nd place teams (Spendora & Lumberton....maybe LCM sneaks in there....possible) will win 1st round playoff games. 3rd place team may win too.  4th place will not beat Navasota.  None of our teams will get out of 2nd round of playoffs.  Lumberton is average team who plays hard. But gonna take more than a one dimensional offense, slow defense, and generic play calling to beat good teams.

Not excuses...FACTS.. Lumberton has been without their starting RB since first game of season, starting QB since 2 game and without their starting LB and SS for numerous games alongwith their starting WR for several games.  Now you tell me that wouldn’t hurt a team. 

Wanna talk about weak Schdule and weak district ok fine you win, feel better now!! NO one has said we have had a tough schedule or tough district NO ONE!!  The kids have to play whoever is in front of them but to get on here and talk down on them and just keep bashing them shows your character and you should be proud. I see your 26 post and most of them is bashing Lumberton football and players seems someone is a little upset about something. 

Every teams has injuries.  That's a fact.  Don't get butt hurt cause I point out that Lumberton is having moderate success against a weak schedule, in a weak district. And acting like we're world beaters. Not bashing the kids, it's the adults.  And back on injuries, don't think we lost much with the QB situation.  And without injuries, still wouldn't have beaten Jasper or Silsbee.  Maybe not Concordia either.  So still would probably be sitting at 5-3.  Probably win district or finish 2nd...And lose 2nd round in playoffs.... Sometimes people point out the truth of things.  That's not bashing anyone..Just stating how it is.  Something that most "homer" fans can't handle..

31 minutes ago, Coach #23 said:

Every teams has injuries.  That's a fact.  Don't get butt hurt cause I point out that Lumberton is having moderate success against a weak schedule, in a weak district. And acting like we're world beaters. Not bashing the kids, it's the adults.  And back on injuries, don't think we lost much with the QB situation.  And without injuries, still wouldn't have beaten Jasper or Silsbee.  Maybe not Concordia either.  So still would probably be sitting at 5-3.  Probably win district or finish 2nd...And lose 2nd round in playoffs.... Sometimes people point out the truth of things.  That's not bashing anyone..Just stating how it is.  Something that most "homer" fans can't handle..

Your right! Move on now, we get it! 

BTW, Im no homer! Just hate grown a$$ men/women getting on here talking trash about 15,16,17,18 year old kids like it’s their fault who they play and what district they are in and how they play!! Guess you were some stud football player back in your days... Lol doubt it.  Let me remind you yes you have bashed Lumberton kids 

“260 lb running back?  C'mon man.  Oh..you mean the DE that comes in a runs the ball. Think he's a RB. Run over people?  Seen him get stuffed plenty of times and take several plays off on defense. Keep tooting your boy's horn...”

11 minutes ago, VP93.... said:

Your right! Move on now, we get it! 

BTW, Im no homer! Just hate grown a$$ men/women getting on here talking trash about 15,16,17,18 year old kids like it’s their fault who they play and what district they are in and how they play!! Guess you were some stud football player. Lol doubt it.  Let me remind you yes you have bashed Lumberton kids 

“260 lb running back?  C'mon man.  Oh..you mean the DE that comes in a runs the ball. Think he's a RB. Run over people?  Seen him get stuffed plenty of times and take several plays off on defense. Keep tooting your boy's horn...”

VP93 I’m on your side. But coach23 makes some honest points. Is Lumberton in a weak district? Yes. But so what! Look at University of Alabama’s schedule. They won’t get their first real test until this weekend’s LSU game. They’re still ranked no. 1 all year. And they deserve it. Lumberton has had some good years, and a lot of not so good years. Let the moms, dads, student players, coaches, etc. toot there own horns. It’s fun. It’s exciting! It’s the reason some of these athletes (kids) even go to school! And they deserve it! Coach23, I’m a realist. Sometimes it gets under my skin to hear all the hoopla, hand clapping and high 5’s over something you might consider average at best. But who cares! Nobody said Lumberton was going to state, did they? Let em have their moment to shine. A lot of those kids will never play football again after this season. I’m proud and happy for every student athlete that ever walks into the arena...that puts in the effort and enjoys every win or hopefully learns from every defeat. They are KIDS. Let them shine. 

(Man, I may run for office after that speech.)

I agree with you SmashMouth.  Well said.  Run for office.  You got my vote.  LOL  My posts are directed and the homers and the parents who keep posting the same stuff on here. And not seeing what is really going on in the games.  A lot more to games than td's and stats.   For Lumberton to get better as a program, needs to be more than accepting average and the whole participation trophy mentality.

Fully support all the kids and the efforts they put in.  Pointing out what a player is or is not doing is not bashing.  Maybe it's criticism...not bashing. If a kid can't throw the ball or is lazy on defense, then it is what it is...

And AggiesAreWe:  You are 100% correct.   Just tired of hearing about injuries.  Every team has them. 

25 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I will say this. It's week 10, therefore using the fact that you have been without your starting QB and RB since week 2 is really no longer applicable.

You are absolutely correct, BUT those excuses are being made in the past tense. Nobody on here has said we may not beat splendora because we have a backup qb in.. at this point, he’s no longer the backup. He’s now the starter

7 minutes ago, Coach #23 said:

I agree with you SmashMouth.  Well said.  Run for office.  You got my vote.  LOL  My posts are directed and the homers and the parents who keep posting the same stuff on here. And not seeing what is really going on in the games.  A lot more to games than td's and stats.   For Lumberton to get better as a program, needs to be more than accepting average and the whole participation trophy mentality.

Fully support all the kids and the efforts they put in.  Pointing out what a player is or is not doing is not bashing.  Maybe it's criticism...not bashing. If a kid can't throw the ball or is lazy on defense, then it is what it is...

And AggiesAreWe:  You are 100% correct.   Just tired of hearing about injuries.  Every team has them. 

I know you’re referring to me so I’ll say this: just like you get tired of seeing our optimism, your hatred towards the team and coaching staff is getting old as well. I don’t accept average either, but guess what- you gotta be realistic too!! Takes time to build a winning culture and that’s exactly what Babin is trying to do (or is doing rather), and it’s negative people like you who will stunt that growth.

Are we more competitive now than in years past? Well heck yeah, that’s called improvement. Accept it and expect better next year. For now, be happy we’re moving in the right direction.

20 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

The population growth is consrtant on 59 north. Splendora was a small 3A team not too long ago. I doubt they got any high profile move ins, but there is no doubt they are larger and stronger than before.   

I have been in and around Splendora for a little bit. I am not sure they were ever a small 3A as you stated, at least for the past 20-30 years. Now you may have meant "small" as in compared to 4A-6A, so I can easily see why I may be misunderstanding your words. When UIL made everything Div and Div 2, Splendora was always in the Div 1 discussion because of enrollment. One of the reason UIL went to Div 1 and 2 was because of the discrepancy in enrollments, especially at the 3A level. I can remember it being between like 450-900 at one point.  Splendora was always at the upper end of that 3A cutoff and now because of the extra division (6A), they find themselves at the upper 4A cutoff, even 5A for a little bit. You are correct that the area is growing quite rapidly and has for some time now. 

2 hours ago, Coach #23 said:

You are from Lumberton right?

1 hour ago, LC-M said:

You are from Lumberton right?

I think he is which makes his posts even more ridiculous. I’ve never seen anybody trash their own football team so much whenever they are in place to win an outright district championship for the first time ever. Do i need to remind people that we are talking about Lumberton here. The same Lumberton that has won a tri district championship, and bi district championship, and been to the playoffs as a fourth seed. Other than that we’ve been irrelevant throughout our 50 years of football. And here we are in this position and people still find stuff to gripe about.

We held Jasper to less points than wos did (yeah let that hit you. Our defense did better than wos did). We lost to a pretty good Concordia team who also beat Huffman as well. So they aren’t no slouch. And we were about 3 blown coverages away from making it a very close and interesting game with a Silsbee team that only allowed 21 points to Nederland two weeks before. The same Nederland team who is still undefeated to this point.

I’d say, all things considered (and remember it’s Lumberton we’re talking about), we’re having a pretty dang good year. And I’m looking forward to the next several years.

11 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

I think he is which makes his posts even more ridiculous. I’ve never seen anybody trash their own football team so much whenever they are in place to win an outright district championship for the first time ever. Do i need to remind people that we are talking about Lumberton here. The same Lumberton that has won a tri district championship, and bi district championship, and been to the playoffs as a fourth seed. Other than that we’ve been irrelevant throughout our 50 years of football. And here we are in this position and people still find stuff to gripe about.

We held Jasper to less points than wos did (yeah let that hit you. Our defense did better than wos did). We lost to a pretty good Concordia team who also beat Huffman as well. So they aren’t no slouch. And we were about 3 blown coverages away from making it a very close and interesting game with a Silsbee team that only allowed 21 points to Nederland two weeks before. The same Nederland team who is still undefeated to this point.

I’d say, all things considered (and remember it’s Lumberton we’re talking about), we’re having a pretty dang good year. And I’m looking forward to the next several years.

At the end of the day, I know I give Lumberton a lot of grief and poke fun at them. But imo to call a particular player lazy is really uncalled for. My attempts of poking fun has been at guys on this board not the players. Lumberton is doing good. Are they gonna win a state championship ? no. I really don’t know how far y’all can get with a run game offense in the playoffs. Ltrain I know how it feels when everyone goes against your team and we have really not been great since the 90’s.  Everyone was picking LCM At the bottom of district this year and they were not doing to good at times earlier in this  season . But what I will say about this years Bear team that they wants to win more then last years team and that is something to build on.  LCM has freshman on up on this year team and I think we will see a better district next year.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:42 AM, Raiders94 said:

Just from watching a little film, Splendora's big 225lb running back doesn't like to get hit. Lumberton's 260lb running back likes to run ppl over if they get in his way. I think it should be a good game.

Not sure if you are referring to #14 or #41 but they both seem to not mind contact.  They were running through Huffman's arm tackles in the 3rd and 4th quarter of the Splendora vs Huffman game.  

Go Raiders.  I am from Lumberton.  30+ years strong.  Just because I point out certain things, or state certain facts, doesn't mean I'm bashing. Doesn't mean I want team to lose.  Cause I don't.  I want them to win.  Just being objective.  5-3 record looks good, but does it really. Only win against a winning team is Furr.  Who several on this site said was terrible.  3 of the other 4 wins are against teams with 1 or no wins.  So is it that we have gotten better, or just an average team playing some inferior competition. Playoffs will tell the tell.  With all that being said, we have had a good...for the kids.  Always nice to win some games. Either way you look at it.....2020-21 season we'll be back to 5A and back to the same old story of being too small of a school to compete in 5A. Don't have enough athlete's, etc..   Same old song forever...

6 minutes ago, Coach #23 said:

Go Raiders.  I am from Lumberton.  30+ years strong.  Just because I point out certain things, or state certain facts, doesn't mean I'm bashing. Doesn't mean I want team to lose.  Cause I don't.  I want them to win.  Just being objective.  5-3 record looks good, but does it really. Only win against a winning team is Furr.  Who several on this site said was terrible.  3 of the other 4 wins are against teams with 1 or no wins.  So is it that we have gotten better, or just an average team playing some inferior competition. Playoffs will tell the tell.  With all that being said, we have had a good...for the kids.  Always nice to win some games. Either way you look at it.....2020-21 season we'll be back to 5A and back to the same old story of being too small of a school to compete in 5A. Don't have enough athlete's, etc..   Same old song forever...

You have a point. I heard y’all up to 5A numbers now.  Hopefully your raiders will turn into power house one day. But on a side note there only 2 teams in this area that has recent hardware WOS/Newton why can’t the other schools play better ball? 

I can't wait for Friday night. Regardless of what is said or what you all think, this game is BIG and has HUGE implications. I think both teams will show up ready to play and it will be one the better games to be at on Friday night! The team with the highest rushing yards versus the number 1 run defense team, it will be a fight and I predict a close a game with the Raiders getting the victory.  

51 minutes ago, Guitar Man said:

I can't wait for Friday night. Regardless of what is said or what you all think, this game is BIG and has HUGE implications. I think both teams will show up ready to play and it will be one the better games to be at on Friday night! The team with the highest rushing yards versus the number 1 run defense team, it will be a fight and I predict a close a game with the Raiders getting the victory.  

A good game is all we can ask for. After two weeks of blowing teams out I’m ready for some good action!