Will Silsbee win state or come up short.......again

BADSANTA

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

I think playing a weak district is bad for us. No real competition for 2 months. 

WOS has had to contend with this the last two years in football and overcame that disadvantage.  Silsbee is in better stead imo because Coach Sigler was able to put together a nondistrict schedule that has to be the most demanding in 4A.  Cornel would like to do the same but always has trouble finding willing opponents.  

The question is will Silsbee be tested before San Antonio.  As I anticipated, Yates beat North Forest on Friday (by about 10).  To me, the Tigers will have to play REALLY bad to lose before SA with the possible exception of Yates.  If Yates plays their best possible game, Silsbee will have to earn it.

The huge advantage the Tigers have is obviously their tremendous depth.  They have so many kids who can step up on any particular night.  As such, they can often afford for a McCain, or Adams, or Harris to have an off night.  Yates doesn't have that luxury.  To be able to challenge Silsbee, Seriale and Hughes need to have their A+ game on that night. 

Im soooo glad Silsbee played a really tough non district schedule, especially going to play in the FBISD and DISD tournaments, and the Dallas tourney was loaded with really good 6A and 5A teams, and they were the smallest school in it, and finished SECOND, losing to 6A #1 at the time Dallas Skyline in the final...I do think the weak district is a liability though...they are probably going to need to schedule a really tough warm up game before the playoffs start, but the fact remains, they have not lost to a 4A team all year, and that inludes #2 Dallas Lincoln!! #GOTIGERS

33 minutes ago, terancec said:

Im soooo glad Silsbee played a really tough non district schedule, especially going to play in the FBISD and DISD tournaments, and the Dallas tourney was loaded with really good 6A and 5A teams, and they were the smallest school in it, and finished SECOND, losing to 6A #1 at the time Dallas Skyline in the final...I do think the weak district is a liability though...they are probably going to need to schedule a really tough warm up game before the playoffs start, but the fact remains, they have not lost to a 4A team all year, and that inludes #2 Dallas Lincoln!! #GOTIGERS

I don't think they are allowed to schedule a warm up game due to # of tournaments played.  Could be wrong but I believe that's the case. 

10 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I don't think they are allowed to schedule a warm up game due to # of tournaments played.  Could be wrong but I believe that's the case. 

If you play 3 tourneys, you are only allowed a total 19 games (non district and district combined). If you are under that total, you can play a warm up game.

After the last district game, Silsbee will have played a total of 18 games, excluding the three tourneys. They would be allowed to play a warm up game.

Problem is, who would play them? I spoke to Coach Sigler on this matter and he said he would only play a high level 6A or 5A team. Not sure there will be any available or willing to play.

36 minutes ago, bradyb said:

Silsbee would have to play REALLY bad and the other team play really well for them to lose to a 4A team in my opinion. This is not the average Silsbee team that has a couple athletes. This team can GO. Hit their free throws and they shouldn't have a game within 15 points from here on out. 

I agree and IMO the only thing that could stop Silsbee is injuries, grades or suspension of any kind. Even when Silsbee has an average shooting night, they're better than most teams at their best. 

This is a tricky question. Basketball at any level is all about matchups and play on any given night. The Tigers have one of the best teams in the state no doubt about it but in a single elimination tournament the best team doesn't always win. The Tigers will just have to take em one game at a time after this week and see what happens.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

If you play 3 tourneys, you are only allowed a total 19 games (non district and district combined). If you are under that total, you can play a warm up game.

After the last district game, Silsbee will have played a total of 18 games, excluding the three tourneys. They would be allowed to play a warm up game.

Problem is, who would play them? I spoke to Coach Sigler on this matter and he said he would only play a high level 6A or 5A team. Not sure there will be any available or willing to play.

Those type of teams would get a really good test from Silsbee but I guess the stigma of losing to a lower classification team just before the playoffs may deter anyone from accepting.  

Thanks for the clarification on the games rule.  I knew you would know. 

2 hours ago, bradyb said:

Silsbee would have to play REALLY bad and the other team play really well for them to lose to a 4A team in my opinion. This is not the average Silsbee team that has a couple athletes. This team can GO. Hit their free throws and they shouldn't have a game within 15 points from here on out. 

I agree to an extent.  I would think 15 or more would be a reasonable spread against any of the teams in the region and even against a Brazosport or Region 1 teams.  But I would take whoever comes out of Dallas +15 against Silsbee.  Silsbee should beat anyone they play but beating a Lincoln or a Carter won't be a cakewalk.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Those type of teams would get a really good test from Silsbee but I guess the stigma of losing to a lower classification team just before the playoffs may deter anyone from accepting.  

Thanks for the clarification on the games rule.  I knew you would know. 

Back early I. The season when WB dropped us, I asked the Coaches about a possible warm up of replacement. Was told of a replacement game or two that were being worked on but they never worked out.  I was also told it was highly unlikely to have a warm up game due to the reasons listed here and the fact that everyone rolls right into the playoffs now with no one having buys the first round like district champs had a few years ago.