Comparing 2016 attendance at the state games to 2015

dillonpanthers

I agree with those who advocate a rotation.  But at the same time, I have to be one of those that admit that it will NEVER happen.  If anyone had any doubts, all they had to do was see the Highland Park/Temple game and its aftermath.  You think Jerry Jones is gonna let that leave Jerryworld?  You think Fox Sports Southwest with Excusoplex shill Ric Renner is gonna let that leave Jerryworld?  They are both gonna pay the UIL all they want and more to keep it there.

It is unfair. Believe it.

But we are gonna have to live with it.

I have to agree all they will do is look at that attendance to give their reason.  To me in all fairness to the fans it should be a neutral sight based on each game like the rest of the playoffs.  Yes I know that won't happe but I think that championship game should be made more friendly for each teams fan.  No team stuck with that early daytime game during the work week.  Make the games more accessible for the parents and fans of the teams in the game.  It should be a celebration for them instead of set up more as a money maker.

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

I have to agree all they will do is look at that attendance to give their reason.  To me in all fairness to the fans it should be a neutral sight based on each game like the rest of the playoffs.  Yes I know that won't happe but I think that championship game should be made more friendly for each teams fan.  No team stuck with that early daytime game during the work week.  Make the games more accessible for the parents and fans of the teams in the game.  It should be a celebration for them instead of set up more as a money maker.

Very well said!

My brother and I regularly make the trip to championship weekend, wherever it is played.  I have spent the whole extended weekend in Dallas three times, and was at NRG last year.  I can tell you straight up that there is no comparison.  The overall atmosphere at AT&T is much more electric.  Of course, the number one factor in this is that big screen, but there are may other factors that make it a great experience.  Music selection, and filming the fans during tv intermissions is very entertaining.   They do a great job up there.  NRG was not terrible, but they lack a lot in facility amenities AND effort.  None of my opinions are shaped by the Dallas Cowboys or Houston Texans.  

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

Should basketball and baseball do this too?

Basketball has the ability to play all championship games on a Saturday, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.  I enjoy that state tourney and it is a great atmosphere.  You know as well as anyone, that I miss as few Tiger games as I can but even I will say it's more important for the parents to be there.  Like I said I know it will never happen.

4 hours ago, 87Cub said:

My brother and I regularly make the trip to championship weekend, wherever it is played.  I have spent the whole extended weekend in Dallas three times, and was at NRG last year.  I can tell you straight up that there is no comparison.  The overall atmosphere at AT&T is much more electric.  Of course, the number one factor in this is that big screen, but there are may other factors that make it a great experience.  Music selection, and filming the fans during tv intermissions is very entertaining.   They do a great job up there.  NRG was not terrible, but they lack a lot in facility amenities AND effort.  None of my opinions are shaped by the Dallas Cowboys or Houston Texans.  

I agree.  The fan involment at NRG was lacking.  I enjoyed the short drive to NRG but have enjoyed the atmosphere at AT&T in '14 and '16 more.  

Everyone has their valid points for having the SC games at their favorite NFL venue. I know that NRG has the largest jumbotron(TV) in the NFL, sure I wish that the screen was more center based on the field to be more engaging to fans who visit our sports venue too. What NRG does have that Dallas/Arlington Jerrys World do not is easy usability to AT&T. Houston has the metro rail, and many other parking areas around the city so that diving a car to the field is not needed. The city buses go to the park so that people can use other means to avoid traffic. Then, there is the difference between HWY accessibility. Dallas so far is a primitive prairie compared to Houston. Houston HWYs are less than 5 minutes in between where a person can find their route out of the city. So many factor can be considered when someone says one place is better than the other. I am happy that The Mustangs have won championships at both places.

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

By secret donations from Sour Lake........

No need for them to be secret. UIL openly solicits donations and sponsorships, much like any other business. The UIL is not funded by our tax dollars or through government handouts. They are not required or even obligated to rotate locations.  They go where the money is. And there is nothing wrong with that because of all the great things that the UIL does for students, teachers, sports, academics, etc throughout this great state.  UIL is not perfect but they do a pretty good job. If you want to learn how they are funded and understand why AT&T makes the most business sense, here ya go:  

This is the hidden content, please

I believe also that it should be rotated every year (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas). While the attendance records show that Dallas was larger than Houston last year, the thing to keep in mind is where the teams are located in the state. I guarantee that if no Dallas area teams are playing a state championship game in the given year, the attendance numbers will be way down. Same goes for Houston teams if in NRG. It really comes down to a blind draw. Nobody knows at the start of the year which areas of the state will be strong. It is unfair to have teams travel 500 miles to play a team traveling 30 miles every year. Rotate and give each region a fair chance. The UIL should not bow down to Jerry Jones. Remember, last year he screwed up your plans for Cowboy Stadium.

AT&T gives metroplex schools an advantage., They have home field advantage . The team sleeps at home the night before the game, they practice at their facilty the day before the game . Their fan base doesn't have to travel , which is costly . A number of them  play other playoff games at the venue . It's setup for NFL football , not high school. So familiarity with the venue is an advantage . Definitely a disadvantage for the lower classification having to play on Wednesday and Thursday , short prep week. 

As a fan I love going and watching 5 or 6 games over two days . But I really believe what is best for teams and their fans is to let the two teams pick the venue for their game .

But it appears money hungry entities have railroaded high school football in Texas. 

I guarantee you it's only fans that complain about this. The players love to travel, they like being in the best stadium in the state, and the longer the drive the more school you get to miss (that in itself is worth the drive to them)

and as far as the short week goes, both teams have the same short week. So there is no advantage to either team. 

1 hour ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Chick Fil A should have to open a location in Lumberton because it is NOT FAIR to make us drive to Beaumont to get a chicken biscuit.  Is that going to happen? NO!  Is UIL going to rotate locations? NO! It's not fair but guess what else isn't fair.  LIFE! 

Why are you yelling? and i dont live in Lumberton...

AT&T is more centrally located for the entire state compared to Reliant and the Alamodome. I was there this weekend and talked with and saw people from every area of the state. West Texas would not travel well to Houston and East Texas would not travel well to San Antonio. Having it in Dallas allows more accessibility to more areas. Obviously if Austin or Waco would be the most ideal location wise, but until they build an indoor arena, I think the game will stay at Jerry World. 

I've been to the games at both places and there is no comparison to the atmosphere and fan involvement between AT&T and Reliant. 

3 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

I guarantee you it's only fans that complain about this. The players love to travel, they like being in the best stadium in the state, and the longer the drive the more school you get to miss (that in itself is worth the drive to them)

and as far as the short week goes, both teams have the same short week. So there is no advantage to either team. 

That, I beg to differ on.  Listening to Greg Tepper, there have been many a coach who has complained about the disparate travel that is brought about by a predetermined site.

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

AT&T is more centrally located for the entire state compared to Reliant and the Alamodome. I was there this weekend and talked with and saw people from every area of the state. West Texas would not travel well to Houston and East Texas would not travel well to San Antonio. Having it in Dallas allows more accessibility to more areas. Obviously if Austin or Waco would be the most ideal location wise, but until they build an indoor arena, I think the game will stay at Jerry World. 

I've been to the games at both places and there is no comparison to the atmosphere and fan involvement between AT&T and Reliant. 

Tell that to the folks in Calallen.

None of the three mentioned are really centrally located.  If you want a true central location about the best big venue you could have would be Austin.  But yes that's outside.  Since the will keep going with the one location the most fair thing to do would be a rotation. The three mentioned are the only sites that are indoor so that would be the options.  The most fair rotation to all schools would be to have a site in each of the 4 regions.