West Orange Stark vs Navarro State Semifinal

tennisbc

7 hours ago, robanadana said:

I've waited until now to chime in on this thread and I'm going to start by reminding my OC brothers that after my Pirates, you're my favorite team. Now, I'm gonna bring you all down to earth. Every team that is a Regional champion is good period, regardless of what offense they run. Navarro runs their version of the slot but passed for approximately 100 yards a game during the regular season. Brock ran the WISHBONE to perfection last year in the state championship against Yoe (I was there) and basically ran sweep left and sweep right with it beating Cameron into submission. Until the mid 2000s when the SPREAD offense came into being, most teams either were running based or ran the west coast short passing game. Nederland still runs out of the pro-set and power I and do well with it. Several teams are very successful with running games; Calallen (5A still in playoffs) being one of them. There is a long list of recent 1) champions that are running based which I can send you if you want. Run based offenses are successful now because most defenses are oriented to the PASS and don't see running teams (i.e. Dallas Cowboy's success with rookie QB). 2) Everyone got hooked on the spread so ground and pound-clock control is something totally new.  We beat PAM because we were aggressive holding them to 2:57 in the first half of offense and because they had never seen our SLOT-T offense. Having said all that, Navarro is not your typical running team and don't sleep on them. They are aggressive, ball control based upon run with HUGE offensive line that blows big holes in the opposing defense, can throw the ball and extremely well coached. I was very surprised with what they could do against Cuero (I watched on Texan Live). Remember Kennedale--I told y'all about them. I know Coach T isn't taking this team lightly and I don't think y'all should either. This will be a one to two score game, not a blow out. WOS 35, Navarro 28.

You missed my point. I said 1) it is rare for a SLOT-T offensive team to win state, not a running based team. Also, this kind of offense has to have dominant lineman to win the whole thing...dominant lineman, not good linemen. 

2) Everyone is not hooked on the spread. For goodness sake...it seems like half the teams in setx run that archaic offense (slot-T) and they almost never make a deep playoff run. What makes this scenario even sillier is that I think some of the coaches who run this offense would do so even if they had Earl Thomas or Deion Beasley on the team. It's all they know. 

14 minutes ago, griff said:

You missed my point. I said 1) it is rare for a SLOT-T offensive team to win state, not a running based team. Also, this kind of offense has to have dominant lineman to win the whole thing...dominant lineman, not good linemen. 

2) Everyone is not hooked on the spread. For goodness sake...it seems like half the teams in setx run that archaic offense and they almost never make a deep playoff run. What makes this scenario even sillier is that I think some of the coaches who run this offense would do so even if they had Earl Thomas or Deion Beasley on the team. It's all they know. 

Good point

47 minutes ago, griff said:

2) Everyone is not hooked on the spread. For goodness sake...it seems like half the teams in setx run that archaic offense (slot-T) and they almost never make a deep playoff run. What makes this scenario even sillier is that I think some of the coaches who run this offense would do so even if they had Earl Thomas or Deion Beasley on the team. It's all they know. 

For the most part, the bigger schools are spread oriented. Running type offenses, and the reason I say this because a lot of people on here call everything the "slot-T" when it's a wing-T, wishbone, or several other variations there in, are good when the other team has several players going both ways. Several teams around here run the slot because of Jeff Mathews. Ofield, BC, Buna and a few others were at one time Jeff's assistants and carried the offenses off with them to other schools. No matter what anyone else says, it is a good offense dependent on the type of athletes you have. Angleton runs a wing-T and they run that offense to perfection. The team that knocked Crosby out last year, Ridge Point, was running the wing-T. The only point I was making is that I don't take this team lightly and I AM A MUSTANG FAN! I just watch a lot of high school football and this team WOS is playing looks like the real deal. Just sayin... Barring any other disasters this week, I will be at NRG to root for my second favorite high school team, the West Orange Stark Mustangs!

1 minute ago, Goblin said:

2A Refugio held Navarro to 14 points, almost won that game and yes Refugio is good but have you checked out their enrollment and size? If the top Offense and Defense in 2A can almost beat them surely WOS (the top defense in 4A AND the entire State) surely can.

Again with the who beat who and by how much philosophy that doesn't work with high school football. Luv ya Goblin but let's keep it real. Navarro is playing WOS because they're good.

2 hours ago, robanadana said:

For the most part, the bigger schools are spread oriented. Running type offenses, and the reason I say this because a lot of people on here call everything the "slot-T" when it's a wing-T, wishbone, or several other variations there in, are good when the other team has several players going both ways. Several teams around here run the slot because of Jeff Mathews. Ofield, BC, Buna and a few others were at one time Jeff's assistants and carried the offenses off with them to other schools. No matter what anyone else says, it is a good offense dependent on the type of athletes you have. Angleton runs a wing-T and they run that offense to perfection. The team that knocked Crosby out last year, Ridge Point, was running the wing-T. The only point I was making is that I don't take this team lightly and I AM A MUSTANG FAN! I just watch a lot of high school football and this team WOS is playing looks like the real deal. Just sayin... Barring any other disasters this week, I will be at NRG to root for my second favorite high school team, the West Orange Stark Mustangs!

I do have a question.  Many folks argue that a team runs the slot T/wing T etc because that is the type of athletes they have.  Has Vidor not had a QB that was able to sling it?  I know of several athletes that played DB that also would have been burners at WR.  I have many friends that graduated from Vidor and they say the same thing.  But that's an outsiders perspective.

There have been instances of smaller schools running this offense and winning the grand prize.  Someone even mentioned Ennis utilizing it a couple of years ago (talk about a 180 from the 2000 team) and winning state.  It seems to me to be short sighted.  Yes, if you have a good team, team then you could win district.  But it proves difficult to keep up in the playoffs....and I'm talking 5A and above.  When the opposing team gets up a couple touchdowns, then the "grind the clock down offense" is in bad shape.  Yes, many argue that "we can throw when we have to" but the opposing defense knows that you have to as well.

As far as being "brought down down to planet Earth".....we have been there many times.  Fans are just expressing their opinions.  If we all felt the game would be 49-14 but all came on said "close game, looking for a 21-14 game" then what is the point of having these boards?  It would be like the DJ on Fred Clause playing "Here Comes Santa Clause" 24/7 (a little holiday reference).

It's essentially Seguin, a town on IH-10 just east of San Antonio, just like West Orange is mostly Orange. And you've probably never heard of them because they were everyone's homecoming game for decades until the last 6-7 years. Their record was 131-227-8 at the end of 2007. School opened in 1972. They've won 23 playoff games, never made it to the semis until this year. WOS has won 24 since 2011. None of that matters in this game coming up. 

Other than WOS has more experience in the big lights of a semifinal AND at NRG.

2 hours ago, robanadana said:

You know Jeff Matthews was a assistant at LCM in the mid 90's when we ran the wishbone. I think he might have coached our 94 team to a 10 and 0 season. He's a good coach.

14 hours ago, robanadana said:

I've waited until now to chime in on this thread and I'm going to start by reminding my OC brothers that after my Pirates, you're my favorite team. Now, I'm gonna bring you all down to earth. Every team that is a Regional champion is good period, regardless of what offense they run. Navarro runs their version of the slot but passed for approximately 100 yards a game during the regular season. Brock ran the WISHBONE to perfection last year in the state championship against Yoe (I was there) and basically ran sweep left and sweep right with it beating Cameron into submission. Until the mid 2000s when the SPREAD offense came into being, most teams either were running based or ran the west coast short passing game. Nederland still runs out of the pro-set and power I and do well with it. Several teams are very successful with running games; Calallen (5A still in playoffs) being one of them. There is a long list of recent champions that are running based which I can send you if you want. Run based offenses are successful now because most defenses are oriented to the PASS and don't see running teams (i.e. Dallas Cowboy's success with rookie QB). Everyone got hooked on the spread so ground and pound-clock control is something totally new.  We beat PAM because we were aggressive holding them to 2:57 in the first half of offense and because they had never seen our SLOT-T offense. Having said all that, Navarro is not your typical running team and don't sleep on them. They are aggressive, ball control based upon run with HUGE offensive line that blows big holes in the opposing defense, can throw the ball and extremely well coached. I was very surprised with what they could do against Cuero (I watched on Texan Live). Remember Kennedale--I told y'all about them. I know Coach T isn't taking this team lightly and I don't think y'all should either. This will be a one to two score game, not a blow out. WOS 35, Navarro 28.

I hope our 'Stangs don't take anyone for granted. At this level of the game, there are no slouch teams.

I can see the perks of running the wing-t offense. Whenever you go up against a team that has a high octain offense such as WOS I think the Wing-T is an advantage to beat them due to the fact you can keep that offense off the field. But its also challenging to the WOS defense to get Navarro off the field and give the ball to Jack Dallas and company to let them get to work.  Looking for a good game on Friday Night at NRG. an team thats been in this situation the last three years, vs. a team that hasn't will be the edge...

I'll take WOS pulling away late in this one. 

42 minutes ago, gronkykong17 said:

I can see the perks of running the wing-t offense. Whenever you go up against a team that has a high octain offense such as WOS I think the Wing-T is an advantage to beat them due to the fact you can keep that offense off the field. But its also challenging to the WOS defense to get Navarro off the field and give the ball to Jack Dallas and company to let them get to work.  Looking for a good game on Friday Night at NRG. an team thats been in this situation the last three years, vs. a team that hasn't will be the edge...

I think that's what they did against Cuero. Believe they kept the ball for about 8 minutes their first drive.Cuero has a good defense and kept it close but a few mistakes did them end.  

35 minutes ago, gronkykong17 said:

Yea because Navarro best hope is 3 yards and a cloud of dust and go for it on forth down but how long will that last if you're not scoring and wos is making the scoreboard look like a pinball machine u can't  be like liberty and try not to win but  just not try to get blewout   there is no tomorrow so u try to put the ball in the air it's going to be a pick 6, cureo made a lot of mistakes in that game against  them and Navarro had a 4th down catch that the WR bobbled all the way out of bounce and they gave him the catch anyway then on one of cureo drives the center snap the ball way over the qb head badly and I believe the game was tied at that point  is watching  the film saying we can't make those mistake or we might end up in the same boat