West Orange Stark vs Navarro State Semifinal

tennisbc

2 minutes ago, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING said:
22 minutes ago, ManiacAlum2000 said:

A couple of things:

I'm interested in seeing how Navarro will react being "under the lights" for the first time- playing in NRG against the defending champs, first trip to the state semifinal... We saw what happened the last 2 weeks when WO-S got off to a "slow" start, I'd hate to see what a fast start looks like. Don't want to get caught watching.

That being said, I don't think WO-S has ever cruised through this round. It's always a dogfight at this point, no matter the opponent.

Sinton's QB could throw it all over the field, Cuero's QB had maybe the best individual performance I've ever seen against a WO-S defense despite getting knocked out of the game (twice, I think). It may take another performance like that for Navarro.

How many Slot-T teams does WO-S have to beat to prove that they can stop it? Lol. Every time we face one, this topic is brought up as a threat. Maybe it was two years ago, but I think it's safe to say they've figured it 

Great post! Of course  if u run the ball all night you will get yards but the question is how many touchdowns will be with those yards.To me if the other team is putting points on the board and all your running game is doing is getting yards but not scoring your running the clock out on yourself so how long will you stick with that 

Hola  SE Texans. Interesting matchup, seen Navarro only twice, last year and this year. Biggest thing I seen from those two times is the play of their qb, he can put the ball where it needs to be from what I've noticed. He wasn't the qb last year.

They seem to also be able to spread it out to mix things up. Region IV fan here so rooting for Navarro but no doubt WOS is the favorite and expected to win.

Their defense gets overlooked and might be their strength. IMO it's going be another good battle against R4 team.

1 hour ago, oldage football said:

all these slot-T people come talking about their offense and act their coaches reinvented the game - hell i am 67 yrs old and the slot -T is what we ran in high school- lol

Coach Hooks called it the "barn yard offense"...as in, where did the chicken hide the egg...lol. 

It is most unlikely to see a slot-T team nowadays win a state championship. There are too many teams now running the spread with success for that ancient offense to rise to the top. The only way a team that exclusively runs the slot-T can win it all is with an offensive line that is dominant. 

10 hours ago, griff said:

Coach Hooks called it the "barn yard offense"...as in, where did the chicken hide the egg...lol. 

It is most unlikely to see a slot-T team nowadays win a state championship. There are too many teams now running the spread with success for that ancient offense to rise to the top. The only way a team that exclusively runs the slot-T can win it all is with an offensive line that is dominant. 

Brock did it in 3A last year. And I think Refugio still runs it

12 minutes ago, griff said:

Those are the exceptions. It is quite uncommon now to see a slot-T team win it all, especially 4A - 6A. 

I too believe it has outlived itself these days. But in 2007 I witnessed LH beat the ever loving snot out of Gilmer with it. They never threw a pass the whole game. Probably the only State game ever played where a team never attempted a pass. 

I've waited until now to chime in on this thread and I'm going to start by reminding my OC brothers that after my Pirates, you're my favorite team. Now, I'm gonna bring you all down to earth. Every team that is a Regional champion is good period, regardless of what offense they run. Navarro runs their version of the slot but passed for approximately 100 yards a game during the regular season. Brock ran the WISHBONE to perfection last year in the state championship against Yoe (I was there) and basically ran sweep left and sweep right with it beating Cameron into submission. Until the mid 2000s when the SPREAD offense came into being, most teams either were running based or ran the west coast short passing game. Nederland still runs out of the pro-set and power I and do well with it. Several teams are very successful with running games; Calallen (5A still in playoffs) being one of them. There is a long list of recent champions that are running based which I can send you if you want. Run based offenses are successful now because most defenses are oriented to the PASS and don't see running teams (i.e. Dallas Cowboy's success with rookie QB). Everyone got hooked on the spread so ground and pound-clock control is something totally new.  We beat PAM because we were aggressive holding them to 2:57 in the first half of offense and because they had never seen our SLOT-T offense. Having said all that, Navarro is not your typical running team and don't sleep on them. They are aggressive, ball control based upon run with HUGE offensive line that blows big holes in the opposing defense, can throw the ball and extremely well coached. I was very surprised with what they could do against Cuero (I watched on Texan Live). Remember Kennedale--I told y'all about them. I know Coach T isn't taking this team lightly and I don't think y'all should either. This will be a one to two score game, not a blow out. WOS 35, Navarro 28.

1 hour ago, robanadana said:

I've waited until now to chime in on this thread and I'm going to start by reminding my OC brothers that after my Pirates, you're my favorite team. Now, I'm gonna bring you all down to earth. Every team that is a Regional champion is good period, regardless of what offense they run. Navarro runs their version of the slot but passed for approximately 100 yards a game during the regular season. Brock ran the WISHBONE to perfection last year in the state championship against Yoe (I was there) and basically ran sweep left and sweep right with it beating Cameron into submission. Until the mid 2000s when the SPREAD offense came into being, most teams either were running based or ran the west coast short passing game. Nederland still runs out of the pro-set and power I and do well with it. Several teams are very successful with running games; Calallen (5A still in playoffs) being one of them. There is a long list of recent champions that are running based which I can send you if you want. Run based offenses are successful now because most defenses are oriented to the PASS and don't see running teams (i.e. Dallas Cowboy's success with rookie QB). Everyone got hooked on the spread so ground and pound-clock control is something totally new.  We beat PAM because we were aggressive holding them to 2:57 in the first half of offense and because they had never seen our SLOT-T offense. Having said all that, Navarro is not your typical running team and don't sleep on them. They are aggressive, ball control based upon run with HUGE offensive line that blows big holes in the opposing defense, can throw the ball and extremely well coached. I was very surprised with what they could do against Cuero (I watched on Texan Live). Remember Kennedale--I told y'all about them. I know Coach T isn't taking this team lightly and I don't think y'all should either. This will be a one to two score game, not a blow out. WOS 35, Navarro 28.

Nobody is taking them lightly they are the ones saying that their are going to hang 50 points on us but u know what I remember ol Wayne limbrick averaging 200 hundreds yards a game for jasper wearing shirts saying u can't this and all that but when smoke cleared he had 66 yards off 33 carries against us he didn't shake our hand after the game that really close 7 to 6 this one will be one for the books also

2 hours ago, robanadana said:

We'll See...........

After seeing the film against Cuero, Navarro is a very crisp looking offense. Fundamentally sound. They do throw more than most slot t teams and look very comfortable doing it. Will have to get them out of their element to be successful. Must play assignment defense to control them. WOS offense can score 35+ points if they avoid turnovers.  

Navarro is good they look a like bridge city not as big but faster and the guards pull very well last year I belive the  kids from wo-s ran into a high power slot  t  team with a mister mind of a coach in the likes of dubous  and his outstanding son at qb at hj high school who put up BIG NUMBERS do you remember them HJ ave over 400yards a game hummmmmmmmm