What happened to defense in high school football

MBaller#1

I agree that the spread happened to defenses. I still believe defense wins championship...well, most championships. I think defenses will eventually evolve to contain the spread. Or, the rules will change to limit the spread offensive style like Saban seemed to be championing a couple of years ago. I do like to see good offenses, but I don't need to see a score on every freaking possession. You need a good defense to keep the game interesting. I hate shoot outs. They are simply no fun unless you like arena football.

Everything said spot on, especially about playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Some will dispute this, but I believe it just takes ALOT more discipline to be a good defensive player, alot of playmakers are just incredible athletes. Lets' face it, for the most part this generation and discipline don't mix...it's alot more coaching work to coach a disciplined defense, one that will bend but not break, that won't over pursue, that will stick with the scheme instead of taking the bait and going prematurely for the kill. But they do exist.

Aledo 51

Grapevine 7

That was a GV offense averaging 52 pts. a game. 

That's a championship defense.

If the players are making the decisions on who's playing offense and defense you need a new coach.  Guarantee you coaches make those decisions at WOS and Newto.  At Newton the philosophy has always been to try and put their best player at MLB.

Edited by Old school eagle
Needed to revise

Also look at the number of kids on a team. If you have the numbers advantage you have to put those exess athletes some where if they want to play. Defense it is.  Another thing is some of these schools don't play the best athletes at the same time on the field.  IMO you have to play the best athletes whether it be both ways to compete.  Some coaches just don't believe in kids going both ways anymore.  

I could tell you what happened to defense in Dayton. Stewart left. Since he has stepped down as head coach Dayton has consistently fielded one of the worst defenses statistically in our district. Most really good teams have one thing in common. Great coaching and really good defenses. Check out Manvel and CP next week. Probably the best 2 defenses in the state at the 5a level. Also 2 of the top teams in the state.

4 hours ago, bronco pride said:

I could tell you what happened to defense in Dayton. Stewart left. Since he has stepped down as head coach Dayton has consistently fielded one of the worst defenses statistically in our district. Most really good teams have one thing in common. Great coaching and really good defenses. Check out Manvel and CP next week. Probably the best 2 defenses in the state at the 5a level. Also 2 of the top teams in the state.

But isn't Stewart allowed to roam the sidelines still and give pointers and instructions to kids?