Imagine if Coach Thompson was the head coach at Port Arthur Memorial!!

4 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

Interestingly enough, Hardin already has one of the numerically larger rosters in the district. I don't think there is "that much" talent not playing in Hardin to make a huge difference in the teams performance if they did play. Sure, maybe bump up a win or two, but thats it. Still not close to a DC or a SC.   

The numerically smallest roster? Hitchcock, poised to win the district, is lucky if they have 30 suited up.  

Maybe you need to look at the coach. There are athletes in every region. Burkeville use to be a powerhouse, I do not think it is because they no longer have any athletes that they have fallen. I have seen coaches draw fire from kids, instill a belief that they can and should win, hold onto that block one more second, get one more yard, hold onto the ball carrier help is coming, shed that block. You have to believe in yourself or the battle is lost before you set foot on the field. Practices have to prepare you for what is coming on Friday night, a battle that requires a lot of physical energy(conditioning), mental energy (thinking) I can not physically overpower my man, what can I do different to defeat him, wear him down, maybe go at his feet or go around grind on him wear him out physically. Have you ever seen a close ball game and then after half time two different teams step on the field because of adjustments and physical conditioning.

On Tuesday, November 01, 2016 at 7:52 PM, badndn said:

RJ and Mczeal both been at PN and Groves through middle school. Not like they waited till HS to move. Few years ago Walker and Halfin from HF and Hughes and Sparks from Lumb all moved as Fresh. Those are move ins. In my book if you go to 6-8 then hs you're not a move in, you came up in the system. 

Their fundamental teaching began in Port Arthur. 

Guest ECBucFan

You make good points, Eagleforever. I highly value all the things you listed as crucial elements in a winning program. That said, for an athletically limited team, no matter how bad they "want it" , raw athleticism is sometims too much to overcome. (Vs. a team with average athleticism, it could be different.) In any case, I still say even with a Saben or Belichick coaching, a Hardin or a Warren would still not beat a Hitchcock or a Newton (who is even smaller). JMO, thats all.     

45 minutes ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

Maybe you need to look at the coach. There are athletes in every region. Burkeville use to be a powerhouse, I do not think it is because they no longer have any athletes that they have fallen. I have seen coaches draw fire from kids, instill a belief that they can and should win, hold onto that block one more second, get one more yard, hold onto the ball carrier help is coming, shed that block. You have to believe in yourself or the battle is lost before you set foot on the field. Practices have to prepare you for what is coming on Friday night, a battle that requires a lot of physical energy(conditioning), mental energy (thinking) I can not physically overpower my man, what can I do different to defeat him, wear him down, maybe go at his feet or go around grind on him wear him out physically. Have you ever seen a close ball game and then after half time two different teams step on the field because of adjustments and physical conditioning.

The coach that they just got rid of had won almost 30 games in his last 3 years at West Sabine.

Burkeville was a powerhouse when Roy Harper was able to bring (literally) a few kids from Newton to the school long enough to muster a state title.  You take a few of Newton's horses and insert them into any school that size, and they're trouble for the rest of the state.

This comes down to ability, size, strength, speed, and intelligence.  All of those things can be improved...but even if I make a 90-year-old woman a little faster and a little stronger...she still isn't catching the running back from La Marque or Hitchcock.

22 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The coach that they just got rid of had won almost 30 games in his last 3 years at West Sabine.

Burkeville was a powerhouse when Roy Harper was able to bring (literally) a few kids from Newton to the school long enough to muster a state title.  You take a few of Newton's horses and insert them into any school that size, and they're trouble for the rest of the state.

This comes down to ability, size, strength, speed, and intelligence.  All of those things can be improved...but even if I make a 90-year-old woman a little faster and a little stronger...she still isn't catching the running back from La Marque or Hitchcock.

So you think it is all about speed. 1974 State Championship Newton vs. Spearman

Spearman is suppose to have the fastest back in the state. Down 42-7 at halftime. doesn't look like his speed did him any good.

23 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Hey Old school, I have a 5'-2" son, 115#, slower than the Bridge City water department fixing drinking water and about as smart as Donald Trump. I need your help improving him so he can play high school football or just be ball boy. " All of those things can be improved". I need your expertise.

26 minutes ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

So you think it is all about speed. 1974 State Championship Newton vs. Spearman

Spearman is suppose to have the fastest back in the state. Down 42-7 at halftime. doesn't look like his speed did him any good.

TEAM speed usually is more important than having 1 or 2 kids that are fast.  I'm sure Hardin has 1 or 2 kids that are fairly quick.  Does that mean they're going to score a lot of touchdowns?  Certainly not.

26 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Hey Old school, I have a 5'-2" son, 115#, slower than the Bridge City water department fixing drinking water and about as smart as Donald Trump. I need your help improving him so he can play high school football or just be ball boy. " All of those things can be improved". I need your expertise.

Well, here we go again... completely misunderstanding what I've written.

Guess what guy..  If your son goes from a 6.3 40 to a 5.9 40...he's gotten faster.  He's still slow.  But better.
If your son goes from a 75lb bench press to a 90lb bench press...he's gotten stronger.  He's still weak.  But better.

Improved is a relative term.  And that's my point.  Even when a coach improves all of the players on the team...they still might be terrible.

On 11/1/2016 at 10:47 AM, Gabe said:

Can y'all imagine if Bill Belichick coached Livingston? They would have won 22-5A this year. 

Speaking of Belichick, could you imagine Cornel having to use those tablets? You thought Bill destroyed one?? Many of you have never seen the wrath of Cornel Thompson first hand! Lmao!!!!

I have literally watched that man get his pinky finger severed while we were hitting sleds and one of the leaf springs broke. The man took a knee for a second, stood up and kept blowing the whistle. Blood everywhere. He didn't care. Mr.King, our trainer, had to dang near drag that man away to go to the hospital. He didn't give a rats butt that he only had 9 fingers. It was all about us finishing practice. That was the day I realized he walked what he talked. Who in the blank can cut his finger off and still continue practice??? I will NEVER forget that. And I bet my buddies that were hitting sleds with me that evening can attest to that. One of them was right next to me when it happened, Mr. Larry Spears. He will tell you the exact same thing.

I can still recall roughly what he told us also. When we hit sleds, he would blow the whistle and scream feet, feet, feet. One of our guys, maybe Gayron Allen was waiting on his turn to get on them and said "Coach, your finger". Bad idea, lol. The answer was something along the lines of this from Coach T...."I don't give a GD about my finger, feet, feet, feet" smh, we were all stunned. Lol!!!! 

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Well, here we go again... completely misunderstanding what I've written.

Guess what guy..  If your son goes from a 6.3 40 to a 5.9 40...he's gotten faster.  He's still slow.  But better.
If your son goes from a 75lb bench press to a 90lb bench press...he's gotten stronger.  He's still weak.  But better.

Improved is a relative term.  And that's my point.  Even when a coach improves all of the players on the team...they still might be terrible.

My son is small, But he sure is slow. Relatively speaking.

Contrary to what you believe, I do understand everything that you say but, for some reason you must think of yourself as Vince Lombardy, Tom Landry or Bear Bryant. None of your points make any sense at all and are so pointless.

4 hours ago, kicker said:

I can still recall roughly what he told us also. When we hit sleds, he would blow the whistle and scream feet, feet, feet. One of our guys, maybe Gayron Allen was waiting on his turn to get on them and said "Coach, your finger". Bad idea, lol. The answer was something along the lines of this from Coach T...."I don't give a GD about my finger, feet, feet, feet" smh, we were all stunned. Lol!!!! 

I am not saying he has not done it, but I never heard him use a curse word while I played for him in my 4 years.

58 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

My son is small, But he sure is slow. Relatively speaking.

Contrary to what you believe, I do understand everything that you say but, for some reason you must think of yourself as Vince Lombardy, Tom Landry or Bear Bryant. None of your points make any sense at all and are so pointless.

No...I don't think you understand a single thing I said.  Otherwise you wouldn't say my point makes no sense.

What is this thread about?  A hypothetical situation where a successful coach coaches a team that somebody thinks should have more success.  

I made a point that most of the time it may not matter who's coaching.  Because if a team is terrible, then they are terrible.  I then said that even if a coach improves the players on the team, they could still in fact be terrible. I even provided you with an example.

You saying "None of your points make any sense at all and are so pointless"....speaks volumes on your level of intelligence.  Or lack of.

I think everyone knows Coaches can only do so much.  And the HC gets all the praise or criticism, but his assistants are a factor also.  When PNG was a state power in the 70's, they were one of the smaller large classification schools (can't remember if it was 4A or 5A, but that's immaterial).  They did not possess a bevy of outstanding players, but they were outstanding football teams.  Coach Etheridge and his staff did an outstanding job.  When an Indian receiver blocked downfield, the defenders went down.  That Staff had to be one of the best.  But the Tradition at PNG was an added factor.  So yes, a good enough staff can win without the super athletes.  

Call it an anomaly, or call it what you want, but They beat bigger faster kids all the way to state.

On Tuesday, November 01, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Eagle91 said:

Anyone that coaches at Memorial will have to deal with some ignorant parents. I've been to basketball and football games where the parents are screaming at the coach. The parents from the other teams are embarrassed for them. The player's can be out there playing bad and their blaming the coach. I was at the Montagne Center watching Memorial play years back and the parents were all over the coach. A former coach of Memorial whose team was also playing in that tournament made the comment that he don't miss that kind of behavior from parents. So it don't matter how much they win or lose in PA, the coach is gonna be dogged regardless. Pretty sad that the kid's monitor their actions and grow up to act just like them. Same thing on this board with the parents. Memorial is undefeated and ya'll cant help yourselves but to dog the coach and his son. Memorial can go win State and the coach still sucks! Most coaches would have ran out of town by now. Gotta give Kenny credit for staying and helping a lot kid's outside of football.

Not speaking of my personal beef with xbox,but their are things outside of football you don't know about. Gabe sit down and please do not speak. That man have done things in the shadows that I can't speak of due to cowards on the board will ban me for. ALL PAM  coaches were /are successful due to the talent. When the talent is young, pam have it rough. When jamaal was at pam, colbert jut handed the ball to him. When JC left, he had no trick ponies and couldnt or know how to coach those kids up. Thompson. The next coach,  installed a more open and fun offense,  but was quickly figured out and then we have what we have now. Only thing he has to hang his hat on is the kids will play for him. Oh and this district blows. These kids been dominating the same kidd since pop warner. PAM  being undefeated has more to do with the district sucks AND PAM  kids being that much better.