Imagine if Coach Thompson was the head coach at Port Arthur Memorial!!

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Right before Cornel ate three hammers and washed em down with a glass of nails. 

Heard that it was a helmet and he washed it down with field striping paint after he painted the practice and game fields by himself ha! Actually going to go out on a limb and say the WOS coaches probably do stripe the fields

43 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

Heard that it was a helmet and he washed it down with field striping paint after he painted the practice and game fields by himself ha! Actually going to go out on a limb and say the WOS coaches probably do stripe the fields

Nope it was a set of 1st and 10 markers, chains and all, and didn't need a chaser.  How do you think his defense got called "The Chain Gang?"  He then went and told Coach Hooks, "Dan Ray, you paint the damn field this week!"

Anyone that coaches at Memorial will have to deal with some ignorant parents. I've been to basketball and football games where the parents are screaming at the coach. The parents from the other teams are embarrassed for them. The player's can be out there playing bad and their blaming the coach. I was at the Montagne Center watching Memorial play years back and the parents were all over the coach. A former coach of Memorial whose team was also playing in that tournament made the comment that he don't miss that kind of behavior from parents. So it don't matter how much they win or lose in PA, the coach is gonna be dogged regardless. Pretty sad that the kid's monitor their actions and grow up to act just like them. Same thing on this board with the parents. Memorial is undefeated and ya'll cant help yourselves but to dog the coach and his son. Memorial can go win State and the coach still sucks! Most coaches would have ran out of town by now. Gotta give Kenny credit for staying and helping a lot kid's outside of football.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Can y'all imagine if Bill Belichick coached Livingston? They would have won 22-5A this year. 

I defend coaches to the max...because I know that most of the time coaches are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

But on that same note.. I also believe that a coach is limited by what they have to work with.  Even great coaches can't win without talent.  Period.

If Coach Thompson were at PAM, he wouldn't have any rings.  If Bill Belichick were at Livingston...they still aren't winning district.  If Bill Belichick were at Hardin...they're still going 0-10.

Coaches can get more out of players more than others, no doubt.  And some coaches have been exposed to more winning experience, no doubt.  But nobody is winning a horse race with a donkey.

42 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I defend coaches to the max...because I know that most of the time coaches are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

But on that same note.. I also believe that a coach is limited by what they have to work with.  Even great coaches can't win without talent.  Period.

If Coach Thompson were at PAM, he wouldn't have any rings.  If Bill Belichick were at Livingston...they still aren't winning district.  If Bill Belichick were at Hardin...they're still going 0-10.

Coaches can get more out of players more than others, no doubt.  And some coaches have been exposed to more winning experience, no doubt.  But nobody is winning a horse race with a donkey.

Actually, The Kentucky Derby with a mule, is the quote your looking for. ;)

Old School , you made your first assessment about a coach having to make due with what they have which is true , you said " Even great coaches can't win with talent " then you say Coach T wouldn't win a title at PAM , so basically you were insinuating PAM dosent possess the " talent " ok smh , if you say so..

4 minutes ago, panamamyers said:

You are nuts if you think belichick would do anything but win district championships regardless of which team he coaches.

That's like saying no one can turn Stephenville into a winner...until coach briles got there.

Belichick would have Livingston beating the doghair out of every team in the Golden Triangle within three years.

But they still wouldn't build a new stadium. 

33 minutes ago, Finesser said:

Old School , you made your first assessment about a coach having to make due with what they have which is true , you said " Even great coaches can't win with talent " then you say Coach T wouldn't win a title at PAM , so basically you were insinuating PAM dosent possess the " talent " ok smh , if you say so..

Talent is relative.  Having talent and having enough talent to win a state title is another.  WOS is a relatively small school and they're sending kids to FBS schools on a regular basis.

PAM may also have some kids good enough for big time college football...but so do most schools in Texas that size.

Its a lot easier to win deep playoff games when you have overwhelmingly more talent.  PAM plays a lot of schools that have as much talent.

And yes I stand by my statement. Great coaches can NOT win with zero talent.  I can name several schools that Coach Thompson could spend the next 15 years and not make it past round 2 or 3.  I'd bet every dollar I have on that.

Fair enough , actually I agreed with the Coaches can't win with NO talent deal , that's a given , my point was this : when you have a coach the caliber of Thompson they elevate the talent of the kids around them , the preparation , the discipline , I could go on a limb and say that at least 2 or 3 teams in 4A are similar in talent as WOS , so what happens then ? The Coach becomes the X. Factor , the adjustments they make in critical times , the motivation he gives the kids in crunch time , every coach does NOT posses that trait , believe it or not , Hooks had that too , IMO , No PAM is not the most talented team in 5A but they are extremely close , In the end a Coach is the most important piece especially with superior talent , that's why I personally think they would be a powerhouse with " that " kinda coach , it's rhetorical in the end lol , but man WOS has a hell of a luxury you can't take for granted..

Tom Westerberg won 4 state titles in 6 years at Allen High School.  

Bring new attitude? You bet.  Increase numbers and enthusiasm? No doubt.  He may even sway a few parents to transfer their kid by him being there.

But he will NOT have a fraction of the success he had at Allen while at Barbers Hill.  We can put money on that whenever you're ready.

Guest ECBucFan
7 hours ago, panamamyers said:

You are nuts if you think belichick would do anything but win district championships regardless of which team he coaches.

Not with the EXISTING teams schools normally have. Of course if you want to get into recruiting, then you could bring a ton of athletes from the greater Houston area into Hardin, for example, then yes, Hardin + a bunch of D1 recruits could certainly win state.   

Thats was not the question posed, though. Put Belichick, Nick Saben, whoever you want and Hardin does not even win district with their existing team, much less win state. Ain't gonna happen. 

1 hour ago, ECBucFan said:

Not with the EXISTING teams schools normally have. Of course if you want to get into recruiting, then you could bring a ton of athletes from the greater Houston area into Hardin, for example, then yes, Hardin + a bunch of D1 recruits could certainly win state.   

Thats was not the question posed, though. Put Belichick, Nick Saben, whoever you want and Hardin does not even win district with their existing team, much less win state. Ain't gonna happen. 

With the athletes their fielding maybe not, but how many athletes are not playing because they are not going to put the effort or time into playing for a losing team. Winning draws athletes out of the woodwork. That is one reason year in and out winning programs win.  

Guest ECBucFan
2 hours ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

With the athletes their fielding maybe not, but how many athletes are not playing because they are not going to put the effort or time into playing for a losing team. Winning draws athletes out of the woodwork. That is one reason year in and out winning programs win.  

Interestingly enough, Hardin already has one of the numerically larger rosters in the district. I don't think there is "that much" talent not playing in Hardin to make a huge difference in the teams performance if they did play. Sure, maybe bump up a win or two, but thats it. Still not close to a DC or a SC.   

The numerically smallest roster? Hitchcock, poised to win the district, is lucky if they have 30 suited up.