Hats Off to Larry Neumann

robanadana

Seriously, Rob? Jeff Matthews is THE best in the area? With a career record of 53 - 67? Is that the standard for the best in the Golden Triangle? That's total homerism, for sure, but I agree with you about Larry Neumann as one of the best...along with Cornel Thompson. 

Did you ever ask Matthews why he has declined to schedule WO-S on multiple invitations? 

I'd say:

1.  Neauman - Nederland

2. Thompson - WO-S

3.Riordan - Crosby

4. Stump - Atascocita

5. Faircloth - PN-G

6. W.T. Johnston - Newton

7. Dubois - BC

8. Harrison - PA Memorial

9. Bolfing - Montgomery

10. Flannigan - WB

Based in coaching skills and getting the most out of talent, ability to call plays based on personnel, ect....

46 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I'd say:

1.  Neauman - Nederland

2. Thompson - WO-S

3.Riordan - Crosby

4. Stump - Atascocita

5. Faircloth - PN-G

6. W.T. Johnston - Newton

7. Dubois - BC

8. Harrison - PA Memorial

9. Bolfing - Montgomery

10. Flannigan - WB

Based in coaching skills and getting the most out of talent, ability to call plays based on personnel, ect....

Golden Triangle....not greater Houston. Coach Thompson has D-1 talent, Xbox Harrison's entire team is, etc. etc.  I don't think we have many D1s coming out of Vidor. Matter of fact, not one this year. Coaching isn't always and shouldn't be measured by wins and losses. I'll still take Jeff for what he does with our kids.

5 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Golden Triangle....not greater Houston. Coach Thompson has D-1 talent, Xbox Harrison's entire team is, etc. etc.  I don't think we have many D1s coming out of Vidor. Matter of fact, not one this year. Coaching isn't always and shouldn't be measured by wins and losses. I'll still take Jeff for what he does with our kids.

Ok.  I didn't know.  thought we were talking about coverage area...

1 hour ago, griff said:

Seriously, Rob? Jeff Matthews is THE best in the area? With a career record of 53 - 67? Is that the standard for the best in the Golden Triangle? That's total homerism, for sure, but I agree with you about Larry Neumann as one of the best...along with Cornel Thompson. 

Did you ever ask Matthews why he has declined to schedule WO-S on multiple invitations? 

Would you expect anything less than homerism from me, griff? Besides, you know I support the Ponies...I was there Friday night with liltex. Blackbeard, Jean Lafitte, Jack Sparrow, robanadana...expecting nothing less. GO PIRATES!

39 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Would you expect anything less than homerism from me, griff? Besides, you know I support the Ponies...I was there Friday night with liltex. Blackbeard, Jean Lafitte, Jack Sparrow, robanadana...expecting nothing less. GO PIRATES!

Well, no, I would not expect different, I guess. This has nothing to do with the team I root for. My only point is you saying Matthews is THE BEST in the Golden Triangle while he has accomplished 53-67 record. I know Matthews is your buddy, but c'mon, man... 

57 minutes ago, griff said:

Well, no, I would not expect different, I guess. This has nothing to do with the team I root for. My only point is you saying Matthews is THE BEST in the Golden Triangle while he has accomplished 53-67 record. I know Matthews is your buddy, but c'mon, man... 

Look at his record since 2009. It takes time to build a program with a football history like Vidor. Easy to build a team when you have talent being drafted by Alabama, LSU, etc. etc.

3 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Look at his record since 2009. It takes time to build a program with a football history like Vidor. Easy to build a team when you have talent being drafted by Alabama, LSU, etc. etc.

Not necessarily. I'd still take Coach T. Example is the way he handled the Kennedale debacle. If you don't exhibit character, you won't play for him.....even if you're the star.

Nederland would have already locked up a playoff spot if they hadnt played an ineligible player against Livingston and had to forfeit. I heard there were talks of his possible ineligibility before he started.  Yet the coach still decides to start him in a district game they could have won without a QB. If Nederland doesn't make the playoffs one could argue it's his fault anyway. 

Not saying he hasn't been a good coach, but in my opinion, if they miss the playoffs this year, you can't blame talent or play of the kids. 

3 hours ago, robanadana said:

You have to be able to bring that talent to the top. Do you think those WOS standouts just came into this world, knows how to play football? LOL!

7 hours ago, td said:

2 pretty good coaches. For my money I'll take Cornel Thompson over either of them. 

No question.  LN would be #2 on my list.  But Coach T has a healthy lead IMO.  First, the Mustangs are always prepared in all facets of the game (mentally, physically, discipline).  Second, WOS almost always wins the battle of halftime adjustments.  That reflects directly on coaching.  Neumann is great to be sure.  Cornel is one of the very best, period.  

9 hours ago, drewlsu said:

Nederland would have already locked up a playoff spot if they hadnt played an ineligible player against Livingston and had to forfeit. I heard there were talks of his possible ineligibility before he started.  Yet the coach still decides to start him in a district game they could have won without a QB. If Nederland doesn't make the playoffs one could argue it's his fault anyway. 

Not saying he hasn't been a good coach, but in my opinion, if they miss the playoffs this year, you can't blame talent or play of the kids. 

I have to agree with this! There is no doubt this is all on LN this year. I still think Nederland makes the playoffs with a Ozen win over Livingston. 

#1 Thompson from WOS is the best no doubt..(Even tho it's easy with the system Already in place from hooks lol)

#2 I like Stump, yea he's at Asoscasita but with his track record of what he's done at Brook an there he has to be one of the best

#3 Neumann (Ned) One of the best to do it 

#4 Fair cloth (P.N.G) ever since he's got here P.N.G has been good other then 1 or 2 down years 

#5 Barbary (Jasper) idk how long he's been at Jasper but they've always been successful and good so how can he not be one of the best 

8 minutes ago, D3zii said:

#1 Thompson from WOS is the best no doubt..(Even tho it's easy with the system Already in place from hooks lol)

#2 I like Stump, yea he's at Asoscasita but with his track record of what he's done at Brook an there he has to be one of the best

#3 Neumann (Ned) One of the best to do it 

#4 Fair cloth (P.N.G) ever since he's got here P.N.G has been good other then 1 or 2 down years 

#5 Barbary (Jasper) idk how long he's been at Jasper but they've always been successful and good so how can he not be one of the best 

I would put WT Johnston at Newton before Barbay at Jasper. In fact, I would put several local coaches ahead of Barbay.

12 hours ago, robanadana said:

How did this devolve into a discussion about me and Jeff Mathews from me praising Larry Neumann? Seriously.

Because you said Jeff Matthews is the best in the Golden Triangle. Check your opening comments on this thread. Let me also ask this question again...did you ever ask your good friend why he refuses to schedule WO-S in a REAL game (not a scrimmage)? He has declined to play us more than once in the last few scheduling opportunities.  

12 hours ago, robanadana said:

It's easy? Then why isn't Beaumont Ozen winning district every year? They've had as much D1 talent over the years, if not more, than WO-S. But their results on the field do not show it. Why? Coaching. Since you implied WO-S having it "easy", I'll tell you that coaching has as much as anything to do with the Mustangs' sustained success. No one player on the team EVER gets preferential treatment. The Kennedale game is a good example. Two very good starting senior players were benched late in the game...one for a personal foul penalty (keeping a Kennedale drive alive after 3rd and 17) and the other one because he was showing signs of losing control of his focus and getting chippy. As a result, we almost immediately gave up two TDs because the substitute players were not as experienced to take their place on defense. But, Cornel did not care about giving up the points in order to teach those two seniors a lesson. The discipline and preparation that Cornel Thompson demands from his team is second to none in the Golden Triangle. Here's a little tidbit to offer more of my thoughts on this. Two new coaches joined the WO-S staff last summer. When they saw how WO-S prepares and how hard they are expected to practice, they both told Coach Thompson that if their former schools practiced the way WO-S does, half their players would quit. So, please spare me it's "easy to build a program" like ours comment. That was laughable. Coach Thompson is a treasure of a coach and we are extremely grateful for him. 

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I would put WT Johnston at Newton before Barbay at Jasper. In fact, I would put several local coaches ahead of Barbay.

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I, too, am surprised that Johnston is not on more of these lists.

I was just really going by proven, I knew Barbary use to be at Newton but I'm not really familiar with Johnston at Newton so idk how they've been the past few seasons since Barbey left