Hats Off to Larry Neumann

robanadana

4 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I was just really going by proven, I knew Barbary use to be at Newton but I'm not really familiar with Johnston at Newton so idk how they've been the past few seasons since Barbey left 

In 2014, Johnston led them to the 3A-DII State Championship game.  This season, they are ranked #1 in every poll that differentiates 3A DI and DII (and only #2 in those that don't).

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

In 2014, Johnston led them to the 3A-DII State Championship game.  This season, they are ranked #1 in every poll that differentiates 3A DI and DII (and only #2 in those that don't).

O okay,..That's pretty good, would you say it's more of the system Barbay set and left or did Johnston take them to another level??

1. Thompson - WOS

State titles as DC and HC. Gold standard in the GT as far as programs. He took what he and Hooks built and added to it which is an impressive feet in itself.

2. Johnston - Newton

keeps that purple Eagle machine rolling year after year. And has beaten some pretty good teams above them (WOS few years back)

3. Nueman - Nederland

year in year out produces solid local teams, just can't get deep in playoffs.

4. Dubois - BC

took HJ to impressive new heights and as soon as he left they dropped. He has BC as a contender again come week 12.

5. Faircloth - PNG

has made playoffs as either DC or Runner up every year but one. Meaning they didn't back in with the watered down four teams making it. 

Just the Golden Triangle.  

1 minute ago, badndn said:

1. Thompson - WOS

State titles as DC and HC. Gold standard in the GT as far as programs. He took what he and Hooks built and added to it which is an impressive feet in itself.

2. Johnston - Newton

keeps that purple Eagle machine rolling year after year. And has beaten some pretty good teams above them (WOS few years back)

3. Nueman - Nederland

year in year out produces solid local teams, just can't get deep in playoffs.

4. Dubois - BC

took HJ to impressive new heights and as soon as he left they dropped. He has BC as a contender again come week 12.

5. Faircloth - PNG

has made playoffs as either DC or Runner up every year but one. Meaning they didn't back in with the watered down four teams making it. 

Just the Golden Triangle.  

That is a dang good list.  I will just praise yours instead of criticizing Soulja's ;)

Mine would be a bit different 2-5 (in a different order) but yours has the right players on it IMO.  

2 minutes ago, badndn said:

I will say this as far as Mathews...he might mean the most to his program. The coaches above except maybe Dubois could leave and those programs would still be ok (maybe not as good, but ok). Mathews leaves Vidor and I firmly believe they go from a regular playoff contender to a doormat again. 

No question and he has "sired" two of the better HCs in this area in Dubois and Smalley.  Coaching trees often speak to how good a coach is.  And there are only a couple I would put ahead of Dubois period.  

I sure do know how to stir up stuff, don't I? Jeff is still my guy...Super Homer here. 5 playoff appearances since he's been head coach. 2 in the history of the school before that. Nothing against our kids but they aren't of the athletic caliber of WOS. To get us to the playoffs four of the last eight years in pretty huge, IMO. Tell you what, swap Thompson with Mathews and let's see if he can come to Vidor and win. Or, send Jeff to PAM with that talent. Xbox should have multiple state titles. Heck, he was second in the state in track last year. 3 - 7 football record. If Ned and PNG had to players that actually were FROM those cities, where would they be? It burned Neumann this year. Central would give up a left, minor body part to get Jeff. Jus' sayin.

7 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

You are getting your Barbay's mixed up. Curtis Barbay was the long time head coach at Newton. His son Darrel is the head coach at Jasper.

Yea thats who I mean ..Do you think it was more of a system that Curtis Barbary left and Johnston just followed that or did he (Johnston) come in and take Newton to a whole mother level?? 

7 hours ago, robanadana said:

It was not me. Not Jeff. BTW, let it go dude. I'll buy you lunch sometime if you do. Dang.

AAW is a joke and won't man up when he is wrong I kept saying PNG was going to smoke Silsbee but he refused and what happened and kept avoiding the question after the game. Lol dudes a buster. 

9 hours ago, robanadana said:

I sure do know how to stir up stuff, don't I? Jeff is still my guy...Super Homer here. 5 playoff appearances since he's been head coach. 2 in the history of the school before that. Nothing against our kids but they aren't of the athletic caliber of WOS. To get us to the playoffs four of the last eight years in pretty huge, IMO. Tell you what, swap Thompson with Mathews and let's see if he can come to Vidor and win. Or, send Jeff to PAM with that talent. Xbox should have multiple state titles. Heck, he was second in the state in track last year. 3 - 7 football record. If Ned and PNG had to players that actually were FROM those cities, where would they be? It burned Neumann this year. Central would give up a left, minor body part to get Jeff. Jus' sayin.

whoa, to claim Memorial should have multiple titles is a huge stretch. How quickly you forget the teams that have won titles in Kennys time at memorial.

Its mainly been Kary, Allen,  Cedar Hill and Westlake over and over with other big time programs sprinkled in. 

If you think the Titans have talent those teams double it. 

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

AAW is a joke and won't man up when he is wrong I kept saying PNG was going to smoke Silsbee but he refused and what happened and kept avoiding the question after the game. Lol dudes a buster. 

Sorry, but I don't recall having any convo with you before or after that game.

12 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Sorry, but I don't recall having any convo with you before or after that game.

I did and I know AAW never said Silsbee was a lock to win the game at all. He might have predicted them to win but even I know Mike is smarter than that