Jase Miguez

winwin

4 minutes ago, GoBigBlue1997 said:

Great game for Jase!  Another kid that Lamar just lets leave the area without ever picking up the phone.  Bright future ahead of Jase and I am looking forward to seeing make his mark at SEU.

Hard to criticize Tic here.  Of his 3 signees, 2 were from SETX (Colton Weisbrod and TJ Atwood).  I think both will turn out to be very good additions for the Cards.  And both were higher profile recruits than Miguez.  

That being said, hope Jase finds all the success in the world at Southeastern!

16 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Hard to criticize Tic here.  Of his 3 signees, 2 were from SETX (Colton Weisbrod and TJ Atwood).  I think both will turn out to be very good additions for the Cards.  And both were higher profile recruits than Miguez.  

That being said, hope Jase finds all the success in the world at Southeastern!

Not Tic's fault but Weisbrod was looked over by Lamar initially and Colton signed with UNO.  I'm glad he is at Lamar now.  Not sure I agree with Atwood being a higher profile recruit than Miguez.  I would put Jase up against anybody that was in our district both athletically and basketball skill wise.  I'm happy that Atwood gets a chance to play at the next level and at home, not trying to take anything away from him.  Hopefully, Lamar will continue to recruit our local kids.

12 minutes ago, GoBigBlue1997 said:

Not Tic's fault but Weisbrod was looked over by Lamar initially and Colton signed with UNO.  I'm glad he is at Lamar now.  Not sure I agree with Atwood being a higher profile recruit than Miguez.  I would put Jase up against anybody that was in our district both athletically and basketball skill wise.  I'm happy that Atwood gets a chance to play at the next level and at home, not trying to take anything away from him.  Hopefully, Lamar will continue to recruit our local kids.

Yes on Colton and that was Pat Knight, not Tic. He righted a previous wrong IMO.  As for Atwood, I would just say he was a more highly regarded recruit than Miguez.  In addition to "rankings," he also held an offer from Kelvin Sampson at U of H.  He was a very big "get" for Lamar.

I really enjoyed watching Miguez play and think he's a really good player.  And getting the opportunity to play at the next level alone puts him in a very elite position, no matter the school.  

But not many would put him above an Atwood or Pearson in terms of D1 basketball.   But I hope he proves all the so-called experts wrong. 

11 hours ago, winwin said:

Jase got the start tonight in his first college basketball game with Southeasten University.....vs Florida State! He dropped 19 on the Seminoles. That will be a story for the grandkids one day! 

This is the hidden content, please

That's great for our local kids. I knew he was playing against Fla. State but had not heard any updates. That's  real good news!!

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Yes on Colton and that was Pat Knight, not Tic. He righted a previous wrong IMO.  As for Atwood, I would just say he was a more highly regarded recruit than Miguez.  In addition to "rankings," he also held an offer from Kelvin Sampson at U of H.  He was a very big "get" for Lamar.

I really enjoyed watching Miguez play and think he's a really good player.  And getting the opportunity to play at the next level alone puts him in a very elite position, no matter the school.  

But not many would put him above an Atwood or Pearson in terms of D1 basketball.   But I hope he proves all the so-called experts wrong. 

Pat Knight wasn't going to sign any local kids. He didn't want to deal with any local parents. So he preferred to recruit in Indiana, which we all know basketball was down in that area. :)

1 hour ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Pat Knight wasn't going to sign any local kids. He didn't want to deal with any local parents. So he preferred to recruit in Indiana, which we all know basketball was down in that area. :)

Knight was scared local parents would transfer their kid to Ozen no I mean fannett oh wait the correct answer is Lamar pa

I did.. lol    I never really understood the recruiting thing. You have a kid like Jase who has been guarded (face guarded) by the D1 kids from the district (Boyd, Comeaux -Juco, TJ and Perason) and averaged 21pts a game but yet not good enough to get a call or anything from Lamar.(He did get a call from a couple D1 schools up north)  Then your told he's not tall enough but then you watch other D1 schools and there full of 6ft 2" guards. Then you hear about defense not being good enough. To me, i would rather have a kid who can score and stretch the floor and teach him how to play the defense you want , rather then getting a kid who can play defense but yet not a scorer. IMO you cant teach someone how to be a scorer. Anyway off my soap box. 

Jase is really enjoying his time at SEU. It is a great fit for him and he's growing as a basketball player and a young man.  Thanks for the kind words. He will continue to push himself and work on his game everyday to prove the na sayers wrong.

Hey dadofabulldog i agree with everything you said at the end of the day he is in the right place. Ive seen way too many kids & parents turn down d2-d3-naia-juco offers because they felt they were d1 only material, glad yall trusted the process and he's making the most of his opportunity. Basketball is just the tool the degree is what really matters. 

On 10/30/2016 at 10:22 PM, dadofabulldog said:

I did.. lol    I never really understood the recruiting thing. You have a kid like Jase who has been guarded (face guarded) by the D1 kids from the district (Boyd, Comeaux -Juco, TJ and Perason) and averaged 21pts a game but yet not good enough to get a call or anything from Lamar.(He did get a call from a couple D1 schools up north)  Then your told he's not tall enough but then you watch other D1 schools and there full of 6ft 2" guards. Then you hear about defense not being good enough. To me, i would rather have a kid who can score and stretch the floor and teach him how to play the defense you want , rather then getting a kid who can play defense but yet not a scorer. IMO you cant teach someone how to be a scorer. Anyway off my soap box. 

Jase is really enjoying his time at SEU. It is a great fit for him and he's growing as a basketball player and a young man.  Thanks for the kind words. He will continue to push himself and work on his game everyday to prove the na sayers wrong.

key statement you mentioned: "It's a great fit for him."  

We all get caught up in the D1 drama, parents, their associates, and friends telling them where they should go. But at the end of the day, it's the best fit  not the name of the school. Good luck and a healthy season to all the S.E.Texas players in college. 

P.S. Dad, tell your son to use the neglect AND hate to motivate himself. It's not how you start but how you work hard during the race.

4 hours ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

key statement you mentioned: "It's a great fit for him."  

We all get caught up in the D1 drama, parents, their associates, and friends telling them where they should go. But at the end of the day, it's the best fit  not the name of the school. Good luck and a healthy season to all the S.E.Texas players in college. 

P.S. Dad, tell your son to use the neglect AND hate to motivate himself. It's not how you start but how you work hard during the race.

You are correct!  

That's whats always been great about Jase, I don't have to tell him things to motivate him. He has always played with and works with a chip on his shoulder.  He's the hardest working kid i know.  Large in part of what you said and he's love for the game.

2 hours ago, dadofabulldog said:

You are correct!  

That's whats always been great about Jase, I don't have to tell him things to motivate him. He has always played with and works with a chip on his shoulder.  He's the hardest working kid i know.  Large in part of what you said and he's love for the game.

I'm just happy to know he got his qualities on his own and didn't inherit any from his dad :)