Porter 44 Dayton 42/FINAL

WOSgrad

For all but a fortunate few on this Dayton team I think last nights loss put in perspective that they only have 3 football games left. Like I told my kid high school football is a very small part of your life but the memories of the friends you have made and played with stick with you. It was tough seeing high school boys cry last night but in life you definitely are not always going to be on the winning side. I would say to them enjoy the last 3 games play hard because once it's over it's over and after this year your life adventure begins. Once again congrats to Porter. PS. Players running sprints on our field pulling a sled after the game was a little disrespectful but I know it was a big win.

45 minutes ago, Bronco94 said:

Re-read the post, I said we will come to town,(Crosby), and play our best football, next week, and your worried, but don't be, but you and I have been watching Crosby/Dayton games long enough to know, It will be a good one.

I always worry about Dayton, regardless of record.  Rivalry always makes it close.  Now the Broncos only hope at any respect is a win vs Crosby.  This will be a slobberknocker!!!

34 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

For all but a fortunate few on this Dayton team I think last nights loss put in perspective that they only have 3 football games left. Like I told my kid high school football is a very small part of your life but the memories of the friends you have made and played with stick with you. It was tough seeing high school boys cry last night but in life you definitely are not always going to be on the winning side. I would say to them enjoy the last 3 games play hard because once it's over it's over and after this year your life adventure begins. Once again congrats to Porter. PS. Players running sprints on our field pulling a sled after the game was a little disrespectful but I know it was a big win.

They do it every game. How is that disrespectful? 

I have never seen a team on our field line up after the game and run sprints pulling a sled. Maybe on your own field but not something I have seen on a Dayton field in the 150+ home games I have attended. Just my opinion. To your point though it may be something they always do I just don't usually stick around 15 minutes after the game and missed it in the past.

1 hour ago, bronco pride said:

I have never seen a team on our field line up after the game and run sprints pulling a sled. Maybe on your own field but not something I have seen on a Dayton field in the 150+ home games I have attended. Just my opinion. To your point though it may be something they always do I just don't usually stick around 15 minutes after the game and missed it in the past.

Porter does it after every game I've seen them play under Coach Holley. I haven't seen anyone else do it either.

1 hour ago, Red Dawn said:

I always worry about Dayton, regardless of record.  Rivalry always makes it close.  Now the Broncos only hope at any respect is a win vs Crosby.  This will be a slobberknocker!!!

I sure hope so Red Dawn. I know Crosby at home and Dayton on a 3 game skid itdoesn't look promising but being a rivalry will hopefully make it a great game.

12 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

I sure hope so Red Dawn. I know Crosby at home and Dayton on a 3 game skid itdoesn't look promising but being a rivalry will hopefully make it a great game.

I've thought Crosby was significantly better than dayton for several years but the game always finds a way to come down to the last 5 minutes or less. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:27 AM, liltex said:

MISERY smh it seems like we can only play 1 half of football=34 points allowed 2nd half.Bright spot was Styner finally ballin & some nice td passes.Weak spot smh it's week #7 and we're still getting killed by the safety.Bronco kicker missed  key x/pts/fg again & our special teams play has lost it's way of running back punts(let it roll)& kickoff returns has been NADA on the year

The safety was a sophomore.  Sophmores are going to make sophomore mistakes.  That's all it was.  He will learn from those mistakes and he will get better from them. 

2 hours ago, Bronco1983 said:

The safety was a sophomore.  Sophmores are going to make sophomore mistakes.  That's all it was.  He will learn from those mistakes and he will get better from them. 

2 hours ago, Bronco1983 said:

It wasn't his fault he should of never been put in that situation there are plenty of SR's waiting their turn. He cost the team 21 points thats what happens when you play daddy ball with the play-offs and a 22 year post season streak on the line ( inexcusable call by his daddy  coach to let him play safety) Not to mention letting the kicker start when he misses practices and did not show up for Bh game he cost the team 4 points which of least would of put us in overtime. The fans and players of Dayton deserve better.

16 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

It wasn't his fault he should of never been put in that situation there are plenty of SR's waiting their turn. He cost the team 21 points thats what happens when you play daddy ball with the play-offs and a 22 year post season streak on the line ( inexcusable call by his daddy  coach to let him play safety) Not to mention letting the kicker start when he misses practices and did not show up for Bh game he cost the team 4 points which of least would of put us in overtime. The fans and players of Dayton deserve better.

Can't speak to practices, because i dont go. But, the kicker was sick during the BH game. #14 was lighting it up on jv before the BH game and we needed some help on defense. Plus, not every deep ball was to his side. The kid that was getting beat at safety early in the year, had a great game at receiver vs Porter. Seems to me, the staff is trying find a winning formula. Lots of those seniors came back to play this year, but have been away from the game for a year or two. which one would you have put out there? 

There's definitely multiple ways to look at things. 

I'm as sad as almost anyone that the streak is over, but it's 20 years and not 22... but who's counting.

2 hours ago, jayhawk said:

Pretty harsh words there Jayhawk. Due to injuries is my 14 was put into that situation. And like Dayton said, everyone of those weren't on his side, get ahold of some film and watch it, nobody wants to give Nations a chance. But when things start looking the way you and everyone else on here wants that's bad mouthing him and the coaches he has now, well what are we gonna hear then. Through the thick and the thin the good and the bad, I support coach Nations and my Broncos! I've heard of some issues with some, but not the head. But geez you should lighten up a tad and give the man a chance. 

btw... Porter had 19 rushes for a net of 8 yards on friday I believe. I haven't seen  official stats for BH, but i believe they rushed for less than 100 yards. Both teams were held far below their yearly averages as well. I think those things are worth mentioning and are good signs. The fact of the matter is, we aren't facing all run heavy teams anymore. Show me a team that shuts down a legitimate passing game and I'll show you a team that has a huge athletic advantage.

Porter honestly reminded of the old Friendswood shootouts, where 3 or 4 deep balls decided the game for us. those were stewart coached teams.

1 hour ago, Bronco94 said:

Pretty harsh words there Jayhawk. Due to injuries is my 14 was put into that situation. And like Dayton said, everyone of those weren't on his side, get ahold of some film and watch it, nobody wants to give Nations a chance. But when things start looking the way you and everyone else on here wants that's bad mouthing him and the coaches he has now, well what are we gonna hear then. Through the thick and the thin the good and the bad, I support coach Nations and my Broncos! I've heard of some issues with some, but not the head. But geez you should lighten up a tad and give the man a chance. 

When you can look right next door to Crosby and BH and see the immediate difference new coaching hires have made, or look at what a first year coach is doing at perennial cellar dweller Porter, you're going to have some people with some heartburn when a guy turns a 20 year playoff streak into a 2-5 start. Some people can see it's more than an offensive adjustment here or a personnel adjustment there, unfortunately you aren't one of those. 

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

When you can look right next door to Crosby and BH and see the immediate difference new coaching hires have made, or look at what a first year coach is doing at perennial cellar dweller Porter, you're going to have some people with some heartburn when a guy turns a 20 year playoff streak into a 2-5 start. Some people can see it's more than an offensive adjustment here or a personnel adjustment there, unfortunately you aren't one of those. 

I'm not sure how long it took riordin to turn yalls program around but I don't think it was immediately, and if anyone knows transactions like that most of the time takes an adjustment period should be you, if this season is for sure over, it's not gonna keep us down, we will be a force again, starting next year.

5 hours ago, Bronco94 said:

I'm not sure how long it took riordin to turn yalls program around but I don't think it was immediately, and if anyone knows transactions like that most of the time takes an adjustment period should be you, if this season is for sure over, it's not gonna keep us down, we will be a force again, starting next year.

Riordan took a program that had been to the playoffs 7 years in a row, improved the off season, made some coaching changes and put some expectations in place that immediately made Crosby a better program. The exact same thing is being done in BH, and I mean verbatim. Dayton and Kingwood Park are the two schools that hired the hometown OC and are a combined 2-11 right now. All Dayton did was change the head coach, all of his buddies got to keep their jobs.

If anyone knows you don't have to run a team into the ground to rebuild it, it's me . . . . and BH fans . . . . and Porter fans. I'm one of the few people that actually does degenerate stuff like re-watch other teams' games from the district or go to them on our bye weeks. Your team is just poorly coached now, IDK why after a full offseason and three quarters of the way through the regular season you're having a hard time coming to terms with that?

I've stated more than once that there's a big difference between optimism and blind faith. I think you're eaten up with the latter of the two. For years Dayton dominated because they had a legend on the sideline. When you look around the district there's not a single thing you can point to going on at Dayton right now that should make you feel like Dayton is going to be a force again, especially starting next year. Luckily the kid missed the field goal in Nederland, otherwise you would be 1-7 after this week and Nations would be coaching for his job next season. That's if he isn't already. Then again, I haven't heard any innuendo tying him to embezzlement so his win/loss record might not matter.

4 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Riordan took a program that had been to the playoffs 7 years in a row, improved the off season, made some coaching changes and put some expectations in place that immediately made Crosby a better program. The exact same thing is being done in BH, and I mean verbatim. Dayton and Kingwood Park are the two schools that hired the hometown OC and are a combined 2-11 right now. All Dayton did was change the head coach, all of his buddies got to keep their jobs.

If anyone know you don't have to run a team into the ground to rebuild it, it's me . . . . and BH fans . . . . and Porter fans. I'm one of the few people that actually does degenerate stuff like re-watch other teams' games from the district or go to them on our bye weeks. Your team is just poorly coached now, IDK why after a full offseason and three quarters of the way through the regular season you're having a hard time coming to terms with that?

I've stated more than once that there's a big difference between optimism and blind faith. I think you're eaten up with the latter of the two. For years Dayton dominated because they had a legend on the sideline. When you look around the district there's not a single thing you can point to going on at Dayton right now that should make you feel like Dayton is going to be a force again, especially starting next year. Luckily the kid missed the field goal in Nederland, otherwise you would be 1-7 after this week and Nations would be coaching for his job next season. That's if he isn't already. Then again, I haven't heard any innuendo tying him to embezzlement so his win/loss record might now matter.

Blind faith would be the only reason why any Dayton fan would predict a win this week over Crosby.

5 years prior to Jerry Stewart taking over the Dayton program Dayton had gone 9-41. Well I really don't need to tell the rest of the story. His playoff streak started in his first year and I believe his teams had 10 district championships. There's a really good article on Chron.com about when he first arrived here. It's a great read and tells you a lot about the kind of coach he was. Dekari Pearson was a freshman who was extremely talented but didn't like to practice. Stewart kicked him off the team and he had to work his way back on the team. Pearson ended up playing for the UT and from all I have heard is a great guy. That all started with a life lesson his freshman year. I guess what I'm saying is coaches can have an immediate impact. 

This is the hidden content, please

I have to agree with what 14.2 said. Not bashing Dayton, but his assessment is point on whether you like it or not. BH gets the majority of their starters back next year and I mean almost all of them. I think Nations being out of the coaching realm has hurt this year. Whether or not he's able to change some things up next year is yet to be seen. I'm sure he's a great guy, but if you look at the penalties that Dayton get's in games, play calling, scheme's etc.. you do have to scratch your head and ask yourself questions. This isn't intended to bash Dayton at all, but like Bronco Pride stated, before Stewart, ya'll were struggling and over night became a perennial playoff team and one that teams feared. It's almost like ya'll took a huge step back. If it's the same next year, It wouldn't surprise me to hear a lot of chatter from Dayton folks about the HC position. Might look for a DC in the off season to shore up the D to begin with IMO.

14 hours ago, dayton said:

btw... Porter had 19 rushes for a net of 8 yards on friday I believe. I haven't seen  official stats for BH, but i believe they rushed for less than 100 yards. Both teams were held far below their yearly averages as well. I think those things are worth mentioning and are good signs. The fact of the matter is, we aren't facing all run heavy teams anymore. Show me a team that shuts down a legitimate passing game and I'll show you a team that has a huge athletic advantage.

Porter honestly reminded of the old Friendswood shootouts, where 3 or 4 deep balls decided the game for us. those were stewart coached teams.

Dayton's defense was lights out against the run in the Porter game and we were up 17/10 in the first half. Porter wasn't even close as being in the same class as Friendswood.  FW always had a good running game to complement their passing game as well as a stout defense unlike Porter. Dayton was clearly the best team on the field  vs. Porter, 22 first downs vs. 11 - Styner had a phenomenal game at RB with over 200 yds rushing. To Porters credit they came out and made half-time adjustments and exploited a weakness' and put 30 points on the board this should of never happened ! 30 points from a mediocre team that a BH team will kill with their first year coach. This years Bronco team has plenty of talent and should be making a decent run in the playoffs instead they get to sit home and play video's, but that's ok because we all can just hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah and ride off into the sunset for five more years.( if I see a dramatic improvement in coaching I'll be the first one to give credit where credit is due ,but I'm not going to sit back for another 5 years and watch the good kids of Dayton suffer like I did for Hancock.)    

10 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

Dayton's defense was lights out against the run in the Porter game and we were up 17/10 in the first half. Porter wasn't even close as being in the same class as Friendswood.  FW always had a good running game to complement their passing game as well as a stout defense unlike Porter. Dayton was clearly the best team on the field  vs. Porter, 22 first downs vs. 11 - Styner had a phenomenal game at RB with over 200 yds rushing. To Porters credit they came out and made half-time adjustments and exploited a weakness' and put 30 points on the board this should of never happened ! 30 points from a mediocre team that a BH team will kill with their first year coach. This years Bronco team has plenty of talent and should be making a decent run in the playoffs instead they get to sit home and play video's, but that's ok because we all can just hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah and ride off into the sunset for five more years.( if I see a dramatic improvement in coaching I'll be the first one to give credit where credit is due ,but I'm not going to sit back for another 5 years and watch the good kids of Dayton suffer like I did for Hancock.)    

Well that mediocre team is 5-0 and undefeated in district while beating the likes of Crosby and Dayton so before you start bashing a program on the rise worry about your own program on the decline. The broncos have alot of talent on their team and that was their best game of the season, Porter is talented as well and made the big plays when they needed to. Good luck with Crosby I doubt it will be much of a ball game. 

1 hour ago, jayhawk said:

This is sad Jayhawk.  I understand people are frustrated but this isn't the time to do this.  I have a son that will play with this group of boys this year maybe and hopefully next year.  I have another in 7th grade that plays.  We need to pull together and support our staff.  If this is really how you feel come from behind the computer and  confront this man directly.  If all you negative people cant do that then don't do it on here.  Its getting old