It's official!

WOSgrad

4 hours ago, Deplorable said:

Sorry for Laday and the rest of the Bulldogs. They don't deserve this. Their coach screwed up, not them. Wish Laday could go play back in Memorial. The way I see it, a kid has an address somewhere. If he isn't eligible at Nederland, let him play in Port Arthur. 

We'll take him. Ol' Uncle Robanadana has a room.

15 hours ago, Deplorable said:

Sorry for Laday and the rest of the Bulldogs. They don't deserve this. Their coach screwed up, not them. Wish Laday could go play back in Memorial. The way I see it, a kid has an address somewhere. If he isn't eligible at Nederland, let him play in Port Arthur. 

maybe he can just transfer to legacy..... 

15 hours ago, Deplorable said:

So he moved for athletic purposes?

29 minutes ago, GCMPats / Free BG said:

So he moved for athletic purposes?

He claimed to live at grandmas and didn't.  It's Neumann's job to drive around at night and see where his players are sleeping. 

Someone got tired of Nederland winning District titles every year, turned him in, and the rest is history. 

2 minutes ago, bigdog said:

WOS had to forfeit most of a season due to an ineligible player.  So people in glass houses...

Oh, so you wish to bring up a 24 year old issue to make you feel better (yes, folks he is talking about something that happened back in the 1990's)?  When WO-S coaches unknowingly played a kid who had an incomplete (not failing, but incomplete) which rendered him ineligible?  Yes, he played and WO-S forfeited those games, costing them a district championship and a playoff spot.  Interestingly enough, no coach from WO-S received a reprimand from the (then) 20-4A district executive committee.

Now, we fast forward to 2016 (24 years later!) and we have a coach who played a player for whom he sought a waiver.  A waiver that is only appropriate after the DEC rules that a player has not met VERY BASIC residency requirements and rather than wait on the UIL to provide that waiver, he rushes him to the field, only to pay the price.

WO-S knows better, a very talented kid named Alex Williams enrolled at WO-S last year, but rather than risking the work of his athletes, he did not allow Alex on the field for a game.

You know, just when I think some of the folks who post things about Nederland might be a little harsh, learned gentlemen like you post things like this and remind me why they feel justified in doing so.

I hope you had fun with your stone.

22 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Oh, so you wish to bring up a 24 year old issue to make you feel better (yes, folks he is talking about something that happened back in the 1990's)?  When WO-S coaches unknowingly played a kid who had an incomplete (not failing, but incomplete) which rendered him ineligible?  Yes, he played and WO-S forfeited those games, costing them a district championship and a playoff spot.  Interestingly enough, no coach from WO-S received a reprimand from the (then) 20-4A district executive committee.

Now, we fast forward to 2016 (24 years later!) and we have a coach who played a player for whom he sought a waiver.  A waiver that is only appropriate after the DEC rules that a player has not met VERY BASIC residency requirements and rather than wait on the UIL to provide that waiver, he rushes him to the field, only to pay the price.

WO-S knows better, a very talented kid named Alex Williams enrolled at WO-S last year, but rather than risking the work of his athletes, he did not allow Alex on the field for a game.

You know, just when I think some of the folks who post things about Nederland might be a little harsh, learned gentlemen like you post things like this and remind me why they feel justified in doing so.

My point was don't throw rocks when your team has been in the same situation. I am  not trying to rationalize what happened at Nederland, he was wrong and they paid the price.  And we don't know when the waiver was applied for, it could have been after all of this came to light after which it was denied.   Either way, luckily it only cost Nederland one game instead of several although it still might cost them a playoff trip.  Believe me, I think Neumann has learned his lesson on paperwork.

54 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

He claimed to live at grandmas and didn't.  It's Neumann's job to drive around at night and see where his players are sleeping. 

Someone got tired of Nederland winning District titles every year, turned him in, and the rest is history. 

Well, it is someones responsibility to conduct home visits to verify residence. Especially on a "move in".

You have a coaching staff that can help.

28 minutes ago, bigdog said:

My point was don't throw rocks when your team has been in the same situation. I am  not trying to rationalize what happened at Nederland, he was wrong and they paid the price.  And we don't know when the waiver was applied for, it could have been after all of this came to light after which it was denied.   Either way, luckily it only cost Nederland one game instead of several although it still might cost them a playoff trip.  Believe me, I think Neumann has learned his lesson on paperwork.

Could have been 2 losses,but Dayt won by 1 point,the kid played in that gm also

10 minutes ago, GCMPats / Free BG said:

Well, it is someones responsibility to conduct home visits to verify residence. Especially on a "move in".

You have a coaching staff that can help.

I doubt seriously any coach conducts "home checks" of their players.  This isn't social services and the coaches don't have that kind of time anyway.

16 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Respectfully, I think your post misses the ultimate point.  It doesn't matter if this was done intentionally or due to an oversight.  And, ultimately if he was ineligible because of transfer or rules or residency status, I don't see where that matters either.  If Neumann played the kid knowing the risk, he was dead wrong.  If it was done due to an oversight or negligence, he was still dead wrong.  The buck stops with him as far as making sure that everyone on his roster is eligible for whatever reason.  That is his job and a big part of why he gets a rather sizeable salary from the taxpayers of NISD.  In this case, that was not done and it has put a huge black eye on the athletic department and the district.  Given the perception (real or not) that football and basketball have been recruiting PA Memorial kids, this goes a long way toward validating that belief, unfortunately. 

Thank you for summing that up. My initial post wasn't to try to make Neumann out to be a cheater which I think is kind of the perception. My point was that somebody who's been a relatively successful head coach for over two decades absolutely should know not to get into a gray area when dealing with player eligibility, rather intentionally or just from being overlooked. I think this is a completely different discussion if the violation was self-reported to the UIL like Katy's was.

I think this situation is rather funny. For one, no one has the facts... This is all speculation tarnishing the name of Nederlands head football coach/AD.... Which i though was against the golden rules of this board.. However to all the Nederland folks... We all know this thing will be over by the weekend. Its all about winning. And before LN arrived at Nederland, Nederland did not do much of that. So I do not see the issue here. They guy made a mistake, its over, it happens at every school in the state, and he got caught. End of discussion... Without Neauman.. Nederland will be in a bind... Pay the man his 6 figure salary, and be done with this thread!!!!!

10 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

The hen house way part of that, was LCM sat in the issue for the whole season, until they sprang the info, they had garnered from a substitute teacher, so they lost their whole season instead of a couple games. Real class act.