Hemphill vs Evadale

Hagar

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Not true.  It is ONLY about wins and losses.  You say it doesn't do a lot of good when your starters sit the 4th...how much good does it do when you tell your team every week that you know what it takes to win, you know how to be successful, and your system works...but they keep losing.  They don't care how  good the opponent is.  They just know "we lost again". That happens...and you will lose your 16, 17, and 18-year-old kids mentally.  Or worse...get someone hurt.

There has never been a coach go 0-10 and not lose their job because "but we had a tough preseason schedule"

0-10 is 0-10...and 10-0 is 10-0.    Nobody is looking at a team right now and saying "I know they haven't won...but they are really good".  Sorry.

In the scheme of things it's better to go 10-1 with a first round loss, than go 3-9 with a 2nd round loss.

My thoughts exactly

8-2, 9-1, or 10-0 guaranteed is better than maybe 9-1 or maybe 4-6.

There are advantages of playing games that you will probably win.  You can work on things will several different players in different positions..plus playing experience for backups is irreplaceable. 

Those last few words are important, especially if you're trying to build a program.  For instance. The gimme first game, the JV played the whole second half.  At Evadale, you're talking about Fr & Soph, and getting on the field on a Friday varsity football game, builds enthusiasm for these young men.  Can't imagine how many walked off that field dreaming of their time on varsity in a year or two.  

But again, I think Evadale has a good non Dist sch.  Other than Iola, or this year HD, head and shoulders above the competition in District.  For whatever reason, to many "gimme" games there.  

I'm no math whiz, but I figure the Head Ball Coach gets the blame 99.9% of the time when the team is not winning. Coach Vanya is getting the most out of his kids and then some. The game Friday night against the Rebels might very well turn into a blowout, but I imagine the Hornets come to play, so don't sell them short. Good Luck to both teams.

I'm no math whiz, but I figure the Head Ball Coach gets the blame 99.9% of the time when the team is not winning. Coach Vanya is getting the most out of his kids and then some. The game Friday night against the Rebels might very well turn into a blowout, but I imagine the Hornets come to play, so don't sell them short. Good Luck to both teams.

As far as playing a cupcake schedule or a trough schedule......... when you play in a weak district and every game your starters are sitting just about the whole 2nd half.... that is not getting them ready for the playoffs and the fight your going to face in the playoffs.... you have to schedule bigger and tougher schools for the preseason to one, see what you really have and what your actually capable of doing as a team!! getting beat 4 times in the preseason by good teams but learning about your team is better than that 10-0 schedule !!!! that cupcake schedule doesn't lead you to state titles in any sport!!

8 minutes ago, TXHORN_ET said:

No way I am.  Hornets have played some good teams close.  I do think the Rebels are improving, and IF they soundly beat Hemphill, I'll get more excited about our chances of going undefeated through the regular season.  This Evadale team is really solid.  Focus. Focus.  Focus!

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

Poor coaching in Hemphill.....and bad players

at least that is what I read into it.....if that is not what you meant, my apologies for misunderstanding

Well...you misunderstood big time.  You must not be familiar with me.  I doubt there's a poster on this site that defends coaches the way I do.  I will never say, nor imply that a coach or staff is doing a poor job.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said they couldn't have gotten a better coach.  Successful at several different schools including a state title.

I used him as the example to a point I make all the time.  Even a successful, seasoned coach like him needs talent.  Not to say HH doesn't have any.  But...they are 0-4.  

Back on topic.  I'll pick HH in this one.

16 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Well...you misunderstood big time.  You must not be familiar with me.  I doubt there's a poster on this site that defends coaches the way I do.  I will never say, nor imply that a coach or staff is doing a poor job.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said they couldn't have gotten a better coach.  Successful at several different schools including a state title.

I used him as the example to a point I make all the time.  Even a successful, seasoned coach like him needs talent.  Not to say HH doesn't have any.  But...they are 0-4.  

Back on topic.  I'll pick HH in this one.

That's a big upset pick

Yeah, there's no telling what I'll actually do when I fill them out.  I've been known to change my mind several times on these picks.  But I do like to pick a game or two that most don't...this one may be the one I go against the grain on.  We'll see I guess.

It's been an upset year (Crosby/Porter).   I'd give Hornets a better chance at home, but at Rebel Field, with the small stands packed, it's a long shot.  Mine is Vidor over Ned.  That's a long shot any time, any year.

Go Rebels.

On September 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM, oldschool2 said:

Yeah, there's no telling what I'll actually do when I fill them out.  I've been known to change my mind several times on these picks.  But I do like to pick a game or two that most don't...this one may be the one I go against the grain on.  We'll see I guess.

I think you made the right choice going with Evadale.  For one of your upsets, you should have picked Deweyville.  I missed Hull Daisetta all four games lol.  Speaking of which, What has turned them around?   They're playing some really good ball.

8 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I think you made the right choice going with Evadale.  For one of your upsets, you should have picked Deweyville.  I missed Hull Daisetta all four games lol.  Speaking of which, What has turned them around?   They're playing some really good ball.

Yeah I panicked.  Usually, 1 or 2 games doesn't hurt me on the pickems.  But this year I'm doing terrible...so every game counts.  I decided to go with the smart choice.  That way...if Evadale loses, we will still all be about the same because I don't think anyone that's beating me picked HH.

As far as HD...huge line and a bunch of seniors (relative).  Plus I think they got a transfer from an Aldine school maybe...that's supposedly pretty good.  I still think they'll get 3rd in district.  But yeah they're playing good.

22 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yeah I panicked.  Usually, 1 or 2 games doesn't hurt me on the pickems.  But this year I'm doing terrible...so every game counts.  I decided to go with the smart choice.  That way...if Evadale loses, we will still all be about the same because I don't think anyone that's beating me picked HH.

As far as HD...huge line and a bunch of seniors (relative).  Plus I think they got a transfer from an Aldine school maybe...that's supposedly pretty good.  I still think they'll get 3rd in district.  But yeah they're playing good.

I think they're a cinch third.  District is pretty weak.  Flip a coin for forth.  I'm convinced, Evadale, Hull Daisetta, and Iola are a lock, but Rebs better not overlook HD, or we'll have a little Porter/Crosby.

9 minutes ago, REBgp said:

I think they're a cinch third.  District is pretty weak.  Flip a coin for forth.  I'm convinced, Evadale, Hull Daisetta, and Iola are a lock, but Rebs better not overlook HD, or we'll have a little Porter/Crosby.

Evadale has one of the best coaches out there Football, and baseball, I'm sure he will be ready, I look forward to coming to Evadale in a few weeks I think it will be a good game.

6 minutes ago, USC 35 said:

Evadale has one of the best coaches out there Football, and baseball, I'm sure he will be ready, I look forward to coming to Evadale in a few weeks I think it will be a good game.

I agree.  First, it's great to have a great team.  Second, it's great to see another school improving their program.  My G'daughter grad last year, & played basketball and volleyball.  The competition in our Dist was pretty bad.  Of course we have Deweyville now in vball, and they have a super player.  Yes Coach Williams does a great job, teaching sports and setting a high standard these young men can learn from.  Great guy.  

Good luck tonight.  Holler at me next week.

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

I agree.  First, it's great to have a great team.  Second, it's great to see another school improving their program.  My G'daughter grad last year, & played basketball and volleyball.  The competition in our Dist was pretty bad.  Of course we have Deweyville now in vball, and they have a super player.  Yes Coach Williams does a great job, teaching sports and setting a high standard these young men can learn from.  Great guy.  

Good luck tonight.  Holler at me next week.

Y'all too, and I will do that

23 minutes ago, USC 35 said:

Y'all too, and I will do that

If you're at game, hope you can post quarterly scores.  I think this is going to be a good one.   I may see Rebs for half.  Still trying to get over Hemphill trip last night for JV.   After you get off 96, there's a time, space arp.   The 12 mile trip takes an hour.