Another big upsets GILMER lost to CARTHAGE

WOS36

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I think my migraines are back, its only week 5. 

Mine too !! Lol. I luv all my Mustang nation but some of them comments on here are outta control.first off I'm very surprised abt some of the confidence that's over the top.like can anyone score on w.o or if anyone defense or offense is better. I'll b the first to admit that as long as w.o does the little things and keep humbling themselves I don't believe there's a team in 4A that cud beat them. Bc of there strength. But at the same time we have to remember dat 18-1 new England Patriots couldn't beat a 7-9 NY Giants. A state title isn't won in September or October! ! And dats why it's so important to b playing ur best ball at the end of the year.a wounded animal cud b dangerous *(gilmer or celina).sorry to go here ask the c/o89 team that ran into a hungry Paris team.all we have to do is keep cheering our team on and leave the rest to other teams to debate we will b fine. We need 12 more victories !! Starting Friday 

16 minutes ago, dj said:

Mine too !! Lol. I luv all my Mustang nation but some of them comments on here are outta control.first off I'm very surprised abt some of the confidence that's over the top.like can anyone score on w.o or if anyone defense or offense is better. I'll b the first to admit that as long as w.o does the little things and keep humbling themselves I don't believe there's a team in 4A that cud beat them. Bc of there strength. But at the same time we have to remember dat 18-1 new England Patriots couldn't beat a 7-9 NY Giants. A state title isn't won in September or October! ! And dats why it's so important to b playing ur best ball at the end of the year.a wounded animal cud b dangerous *(gilmer or celina).sorry to go here ask the c/o89 team that ran into a hungry Paris team.all we have to do is keep cheering our team on and leave the rest to other teams to debate we will b fine. We need 12 more victories !! Starting Friday 

WOS needs to just focus on one game at a time, and remember, "any given Sunday"............They are good, but the fact is, they have not played anyone. that can lead to false confidence, just like they got at the SC 2014.

8 hours ago, dj said:

I would bet 99% of the comments on here stating unworldly expectations of the Mustangs aren't even believed by the people pressing send.

11 hours ago, WOS36 said:

What the world happen there quarter back have already 2,000 rushing and throwing yards and they lost what happened

You need to get off of this message board and start paying attention in your 11th grade US history class lil buddy. You're falling behind on notes and too much time on this site could cause you to fail the STAAR test.

This wasn't really an upset. Carthage is a powerhouse, with arguably the best coach in Texas high school football today. I don't even think you will hear a Gilmer fan say that this was an upset.

That being said, I was questioning Poppy before this game started. I watched the first game this season, which I'm sure you all heard, he broke the Gilmer passing record in a game and what not. The reason I questioned that, is because I had seen L-E twice (now 3 times) this season, and their secondary is just not what is has been in past years.

I also have been trying to find the statistic, but I don't think it's out there, on the YAC during the Gilmer/L-E game. Watching the game, I am figuring over half of the passing yards was due to YAC. He doesn't take many deep shots, it's mainly just the usual Gilmer screens and short throws. 

6 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

This wasn't really an upset. Carthage is a powerhouse, with arguably the best coach in Texas high school football today. I don't even think you will hear a Gilmer fan say that this was an upset.

That being said, I was questioning Poppy before this game started. I watched the first game this season, which I'm sure you all heard, he broke the Gilmer passing record in a game and what not. The reason I questioned that, is because I had seen L-E twice (now 3 times) this season, and their secondary is just not what is has been in past years.

I also have been trying to find the statistic, but I don't think it's out there, on the YAC during the Gilmer/L-E game. Watching the game, I am figuring over half of the passing yards was due to YAC. He doesn't take many deep shots, it's mainly just the usual Gilmer screens and short throws. 

Gilmer does get a lot of their yards from quick outs, slants, tunnel screens, screens in general, but this year is about half and half yardage wise - half the yards on quick pass and runs (under 15 yd throws), and half on deep balls.  The deep ball threat was completely absent last season.  Not so this season.  Carthage took away the deep ball away from Gilmer, making them actually drive the ball.  Smart coaching by the Carthage staff.  Turnovers were forced, giving Carthage a short field several times in the first half. 

I honestly didn't see this game as an upset.  I saw it more as a pick 'em game.  Carthage was the better team this season.

20 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

There is some truth to this.......but, we have taken more shots down field this year than last. Actually, way more, and had been quite successful until the Carthage game. Their DB's had the deep ball covered all night. We earned every yard we got that night. And no, this wasn't an upset. Not in the least. I actually picked Carthage in my pickem sheet on the other sight. They were definitely the better team. 

7 minutes ago, blackflag said:

Gilmer does get a lot of their yards from quick outs, slants, tunnel screens, screens in general, but this year is about half and half yardage wise - half the yards on quick pass and runs (under 15 yd throws), and half on deep balls.  The deep ball threat was completely absent last season.  Not so this season.  Carthage took away the deep ball away from Gilmer, making them actually drive the ball.  Smart coaching by the Carthage staff.  Turnovers were forced, giving Carthage a short field several times in the first half. 

I honestly didn't see this game as an upset.  I saw it more as a pick 'em game.  Carthage was the better team this season.

I'm just saying from what I saw against L-E. Lots of short throws with tons of open space. L-E secondary seemed to play 5 yards off of the receivers almost every play.

6 minutes ago, losteraussie said:

There is some truth to this.......but, we have taken more shots down field this year than last. Actually, way more, and had been quite successful until the Carthage game. Their DB's had the deep ball covered all night. We earned every yard we got that night. And no, this wasn't an upset. Not in the least. I actually picked Carthage in my pickem sheet on the other sight. They were definitely the better team. 

Yea Carthage had a track star playing at safety that matched up real well with Morton. Carthage has a young team as well. It will be interesting to see what they can do next year as well!

3 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I'm just saying from what I saw against L-E. Lots of short throws with tons of open space. L-E secondary seemed to play 5 yards off of the receivers almost every play.

Welcome to the dark side.  And I agree, Carthage winning is rarely an upset.  I doubt there's to much difference in Gilmer & WOS offense.  But on defense, no comparison.  But I'll have to say, it's still a ways to the playoffs.