Another big upsets GILMER lost to CARTHAGE

WOS36

Watching Gilmer the other night was a very interesting opportunity. They have a great mix of all that Hellrazor speaks of and to me what was most fascinating was their complete 100% effort to catch you off guard as many times as possible. On-side kicks, Hurry Up offense, No Huddle, Screens, Draws then a Deep ball pass and repeat over and over again. There was one play that was questionable but the ref let it slide when #25 Clearly pushed off the DB for separation and then scored. It was nice but definitely a push off. Gilmer is very, very good and will be out to hurt someones feelings this week in retaliation to their loss. I still pick them to win their district as well

13 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Welcome to the dark side.  And I agree, Carthage winning is rarely an upset.  I doubt there's to much difference in Gilmer & WOS offense.  But on defense, no comparison.  But I'll have to say, it's still a ways to the playoffs.  

I've watched some highlights of WOS, and there is quite a difference really. WOS and Atlanta run the same style of offense. Spread with lots of misdirection and motion. Gilmer likes to put 1 back in the backfield at most, and spread the field. They will use a little motion, but not near what WOS runs. They like to get their playmakers in space. Gilmer is notorious for screen passes, which I don't blame them. When you have D1 talent at wideout most of the time, I'd put the ball in my playmakers hands with blockers out front as well.

12 minutes ago, ThunderCat said:

Watching Gilmer the other night was a very interesting opportunity. They have a great mix of all that Hellrazor speaks of and to me what was most fascinating was their complete 100% effort to catch you off guard as many times as possible. On-side kicks, Hurry Up offense, No Huddle, Screens, Draws then a Deep ball pass and repeat over and over again. There was one play that was questionable but the ref let it slide when #25 Clearly pushed off the DB for separation and then scored. It was nice but definitely a push off. Gilmer is very, very good and will be out to hurt someones feelings this week in retaliation to their loss. I still pick them to win their district as well

Yep. If there is anything Gilmer is notorious for, it's onsides and screens. That's why we have gotten pretty good at defending it. Night and day difference between our defense now, and our defense 3 years ago. After falling to Gilmer in qtr finals 2 years in a row, you pick up on those things. Just little things like when the line recognizes it, they all jump and fan their hands through the air. Saw it against L-E, 3 lineman and a linebacker came through the line, recognized it as a screen, and all jumped and threw their hands in the air. 

26 minutes ago, blackflag said:

Gilmer does get a lot of their yards from quick outs, slants, tunnel screens, screens in general, but this year is about half and half yardage wise - half the yards on quick pass and runs (under 15 yd throws), and half on deep balls.  The deep ball threat was completely absent last season.  Not so this season.  Carthage took away the deep ball away from Gilmer, making them actually drive the ball.  Smart coaching by the Carthage staff.  Turnovers were forced, giving Carthage a short field several times in the first half. 

I honestly didn't see this game as an upset.  I saw it more as a pick 'em game.  Carthage was the better team this season.

Quit copying my homework

6 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I've watched some highlights of WOS, and there is quite a difference really. WOS and Atlanta run the same style of offense. Spread with lots of misdirection and motion. Gilmer likes to put 1 back in the backfield at most, and spread the field. They will use a little motion, but not near what WOS runs. They like to get their playmakers in space. Gilmer is notorious for screen passes, which I don't blame them. When you have D1 talent at wideout most of the time, I'd put the ball in my playmakers hands with blockers out front as well.

My bad.  I was comparing effectiveness, not style.  Both can put up good numbers.  Was out of HS football for a number of years until my G'kids got in HS.  Offenses have changed so much, I don't even know what they call these things today lol.  Sure is exciting.  And you have Tom Landry to thank.

5 minutes ago, REBgp said:

My bad.  I was comparing effectiveness, not style.  Both can put up good numbers.  Was out of HS football for a number of years until my G'kids got in HS.  Offenses have changed so much, I don't even know what they call these things today lol.  Sure is exciting.  And you have Tom Landry to thank.

Haha you're right about that. It really began it's change when I was in school. We started out in your ole classic I-formation hard-nosed football. Before I made it out of high school, we where making the change to full spread. It really fits our school better anyways, generally because Atlanta usually has tons of speed, and not a lot of size. 

31 minutes ago, losteraussie said:

Quit copying my homework

Quit putting it out there for me to read.

FWIW, there is no shame in losing to a good Carthage team.  The only way I would've been ashamed was if the Buckeyes would have quit.  They showed a lot of character by not quitting, even though they couldn't buy a break for a whole half plus of football.  Down 49-17, and scored 20 straight points.  There was still fire in their eyes until the bitter end.  I can guarantee there were some nervous fans on the Carthage side of the stadium for a while.

29 minutes ago, blackflag said:

Quit putting it out there for me to read.

FWIW, there is no shame in losing to a good Carthage team.  The only way I would've been ashamed was if the Buckeyes would have quit.  They showed a lot of character by not quitting, even though they couldn't buy a break for a whole half plus of football.  Down 49-17, and scored 20 straight points.  There was still fire in their eyes until the bitter end.  I can guarantee there were some nervous fans on the Carthage side of the stadium for a while.

I will say that. They didn't give up. Not sure how they translate that mentality to those boys so well, but they get it done. I know for a fact there where a few Carthage fans that said "Oh here we go," whenever Gilmer started scoring on that 20 point run haha.

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I will say that. They didn't give up. Not sure how they translate that mentality to those boys so well, but they get it done. I know for a fact there where a few Carthage fans that said "Oh here we go," whenever Gilmer started scoring on that 20 point run haha.

I listened to it on the Carthage station and when it got to 49-17 the commentators started saying we need some more points.You could sense the uneasiness in their voices.By the time it got to 49-37 you could sense urgency in their voices.I think they finally knew they had it with less than 3 min. left.lol

8 minutes ago, GUNHO said:

I listened to it on the Carthage station and when it got to 49-17 the commentators started saying we need some more points.You could sense the uneasiness in their voices.By the time it got to 49-37 you could sense urgency in their voices.I think they finally knew they had it with less than 3 min. left.lol

I was getting text from some buddies from Carthage. When we made it 49-37 he texted "We need a caution on the track for debris" l laughed my tail off. If nothing else........we are damn entertaining :)

20 minutes ago, GUNHO said:

Yea, which at 49-17 I believe they pulled Ingram. I know they pulled him early in the 4th regardless, but he went in for another drive after Gilmer's 20 point run and scored that final TD for Carthage. That boy was impressive, especially for a JR.