Another parent vs coach fight…….

Mr. Buddy Garrity

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Reason #726 for not coaching.

There are a lot of good reasons for not coaching, but there is one reason to coach at least for me its the most important reason.....To give young men a male role model and make a positive difference for which they need/want, because other wise they wouldn't get it.

9 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

There are a lot of good reasons for not coaching, but there is one reason to coach at least for me its the most important reason.....To give young men a male role model and make a positive difference for which they need/want, because other wise they wouldn't get it.

That was one of the reasons I coached the 4H Shooting Sports for 8 years. Kids were not only exposed to positive leadership, they learned proper firearm handling and marksmanship.

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I applaud you.  And all coaches really.  There are very few people on this site that defend coaches the way I do.  I have countless relatives and close friends in the business, so I know (not first hand) what coaches go through.  And to be honest I think it's crazy.  The number of hours you work has zero impact on your paycheck.  Nor does the amount of effort you give.  Kids never care as much as the coaching staff...despite what fans think.  Constant ridicule.  Parents, school, grades, classroom, discipline (on and off the field/court).  All the while just trying to be successful while holding kids accountable.  

To be a positive difference?  To each their own I guess.  I spent every waking second giving my own kids a role model and being a positive difference they could look up to.  I didn't have time to give anyone else's children that.

14 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I applaud you.  And all coaches really.  There are very few people on this site that defend coaches the way I do.  I have countless relatives and close friends in the business, so I know (not first hand) what coaches go through.  And to be honest I think it's crazy.  The number of hours you work has zero impact on your paycheck.  Nor does the amount of effort you give.  Kids never care as much as the coaching staff...despite what fans think.  Constant ridicule.  Parents, school, grades, classroom, discipline (on and off the field/court).  All the while just trying to be successful while holding kids accountable.  

To be a positive difference?  To each their own I guess.  I spent every waking second giving my own kids a role model and being a positive difference they could look up to.  I didn't have time to give anyone else's children that.

I know what you mean and im getting to that point of hanging my whistle up due to that very reason. 

5 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I know what you mean and im getting to that point of hanging my whistle up due to that very reason. 

A buddy of mine told me that the number of teachers staying in the profession past 5 years is staggeringly low.  I have to say I'm not surprised.  I would think the same holds true for coaches.  I can only imagine how tough is is to deal with what you guys deal with for the money you make.  Hard to give your all for a kid/team/school when the favor is probably rarely (if ever) returned.

You have to be half crazy to want to be a HS coach of any kind these days. The hours are long, the pay sucks and you will now apparently get beat up if you don't play a particular kid. The reward, however, is seeing young men and women that you have helped mold into adults succeed at whatever they decide to do in life and then, at their 20th class reunion, speak of you fondly as an inspirational figure in their lives.

5 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Remember, while the coaches can be a positive role model, they can just as easily be a negative role model. I had many good coaches, when I went to West Orange, but we had a head coach that was nothing but a horses rear end, and lied to us all the time. After all these years, if I saw him, I would have to spit the sour taste out of my mouth. I hope that waste of skin went back to Oklahoma and stayed there.

6 hours ago, pinelandflash said:

You have to be half crazy to want to be a HS coach of any kind these days. The hours are long, the pay sucks and you will now apparently get beat up if you don't play a particular kid. The reward, however, is seeing young men and women that you have helped mold into adults succeed at whatever they decide to do in life and then, at their 20th class reunion, speak of you fondly as an inspirational figure in their lives.

That last part, that would mean more than a bigger paycheck.  To quote the commercial, priceless.

17 hours ago, REBgp said:

That last part, that would mean more than a bigger paycheck.  To quote the commercial, priceless.

So you would take a career of ridicule, stress, and be undervalued than to make a good living for your family, spend time with your kids, and have a stable job?  Just so a young man will speak highly of how you influenced their life at their 20-year reunion. I know that decent living is a relative term.  I also know that stable job is relative...but...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that it's priceless.  Everything and every person has a price.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

So you would take a career of ridicule, stress, and be undervalued than to make a good living for your family, spend time with your kids, and have a stable job?  Just so a young man will speak highly of how you influenced their life at their 20-year reunion. I know that decent living is a relative term.  I also know that stable job is relative...but...I'm going to have to respectfully disagree that it's priceless.  Everything and every person has a price.

Well, I certainly understand your point.  But imo, most that coach do it because they enjoy coaching, even with all the negatives.  They take the hit on pay because of that enjoyment.  I certainly didn't enjoy the jobs I did for 50 years.  Wish I would have.  And there was plenty of stress.  For those coaches that do the job, my hats off to them.  And if you don't understand the pride, sense of accomplishment, at helping make people's lives better, and having those same folks remember you for your influence on them, that's something I can't explain to you.  As with all our livelihoods, Coaching is not for everyone.

And thanks to those folks that do coach, you, me, and thousands of others, are getting ready to go see some great HS football.  Hope your team wins (unless it's West Hardin lol).