21-5A after 3 weeks

Cougar14.2

Surprising start to the season with Dayton and Kingwood Park not looking to be what people expected. Splendora is undermanned but game and may be 21-5A's new version of Vidor. New Caney looks like they'll be fought to keep below 40 and Crosby looks like Crosby. Humble lost Terio Brown for the year and subsequently lost to Huffman afterwards but they have a big chance to move to 2-0 in district play with a home win against Dayton his week. 

I would have it like this right now:

1. Crosby

2. New Caney

3. Barbers Hill

4. Humble/Splendora

5. Splendora/Humble

6. Dayton

7. Porter

8. Kingwood Park

9. Caney Creek

*I think Splendora's next three games against will decide a lot for the district. 

Dayton is certainly the one that is surprising. They go on the road and beat Nederland, then come home and lose on homecoming. To me it was not just who they were playing. I would expect them to have at least been in a tight game. ( I was not there, just from reading the post) Not sure what this means about the competition they have played as it was one week apart. Or did Dayton really just have an off night. Splendora is going to have to win two of their next three for me to believe they are in contention for a spot this year.

As of right now, I would have it as:

1. Crosby

2. New Caney

3. Barbers Hill

4. Humble/Dayton

5. Dayton/Humble

6. Porter

7. Splendora

8. Kingwood Park

9. Caney Creek

Crosby plays Porter this week so it's probably obvious what people would say in a thread. I just wanted to highlight that Netherly probably won't play until sometime after the bye meaning the sophomore Jaiden Howard will most likely make his first varsity start Thursday night. 

I know talent is supposed to be cyclical but Crosby has been fortunate to have a plethora of talent over the years. The young qb is the next man up, I expect him to be in consideration for power 5 conference offers by the end of his junior season. He had nearly 300 total yards in relief duty against BH, I wouldn't be surprised if he throws for 300 alone against Porter this week. 

42 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Crosby plays Porter this week so it's probably obvious what people would say in a thread. I just wanted to highlight that Netherly probably won't play until sometime after the bye meaning the sophomore Jaiden Howard will most likely make his first varsity start Thursday night. 

I know talent is supposed to be cyclical but Crosby has been fortunate to have a plethora of talent over the years. The young qb is the next man up, I expect him to be in consideration for power 5 conference offers by the end of his junior season. He had nearly 300 total yards in relief duty against BH, I wouldn't be surprised if he throws for 300 alone against Porter this week. 

Wish I could make it but I will be in Chicago until Friday morning. Doubtful you guys have to open up to much of your offense for other teams to scout. On the other side I see Holley going to more of a ground game to eat clock, but who knows, Hall to Spencer has been a good combination for Porter.

On September 12, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Lightning/Eagle said:

Dayton is certainly the one that is surprising. They go on the road and beat Nederland, then come home and lose on homecoming. To me it was not just who they were playing. I would expect them to have at least been in a tight game. ( I was not there, just from reading the post) Not sure what this means about the competition they have played as it was one week apart. Or did Dayton really just have an off night. Splendora is going to have to win two of their next three for me to believe they are in contention for a spot this year.

As of right now, I would have it as:

1. Crosby

2. New Caney

3. Barbers Hill

4. Humble/Dayton

5. Dayton/Humble

6. Porter

7. Splendora

8. Kingwood Park

9. Caney Creek

Nope i just think Nederland isn't very good this year. They looked pretty terrible in the scrimmage and they were jumping the snap count so.... I just think Dayton might be a bit too much of a one trick pony. Maybe they need some of those JV kids. 

11 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

What a luxury to have a backup like that.  At most schools, he'd be starting.  I'm not as familiar with 21-5A as y'all, but overall the District seems a lot weaker this year.  Here's an outsider's best guess for the playoff spots.

1-Crosby - the big dog

2-New Caney - good, but not good enough

3- Barbers Hill - moving up in the hierarchy, in a hurry

4- Humble - Best of the rest

Not  sold on Splendora yet, and something isn't quite right at Dayton.  And Octfeb, I've always admired Daytons program, but as of now, this isn't the Dayton that use to whip up on the, now, 22-5A teams.  Hope y'all get it going, and if you do, my picks are all gone to h-ll.  Good luck to all!

8 minutes ago, jayhawk said:

I wouldn't count the Bronco's out just yet - you back a dog in a corner and he come's out fighting!

Only issue is that Broncos are horses.

Serious question for Dayton fans: Do you go after ex-Navasota coach Lee Fedora if Dayton misses the playoffs this year, I'm sure Dayton could pay what it takes. Or do you take the wait and see approach and risk the possibility of missing the playoffs consecutive years in hopes the hometown guy can rebuild the program? Dayton is senior heavy this year and looks like they do, next year it probably gets worse with a younger team.  

15 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Serious question for Dayton fans: Do you go after ex-Navasota coach Lee Fedora if Dayton misses the playoffs this year, I'm sure Dayton could pay what it takes. Or do you take the wait and see approach and risk the possibility of missing the playoffs consecutive years in hopes the hometown guy can rebuild the program? Dayton is senior heavy this year and looks like they do, next year it probably gets worse with a younger team.  

Come on man. I've listened to you go on and on but damn it's 3 games into his first season. Of course all Dayton fans want the team to look better just not sure why your so concerned.

4 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

Come on man. I've listened to you go on and on but damn it's 4 games into his first season. Of course all Dayton fans want he team to look better not sure why your so concerned.

I'm concerned about the strength of the district. I listened to you guys all Summer about how great the move to fire Hancock was, now you're about to start 1-5 or 2-4 at best. An ex-Dayton school board member told me Dayton only lost by 12 but it should've been worse, in five years I don't think Hancock ever had a loss considered to be as bad. I said Nations hadn't coached in five years and you told me how good Dayton looked leading up to the season. I'm just saying Dayton fans wanted Hancock out because of what their perception of their program was after Stewart, now they're even further away from what they used to be with other schools in the district trending upwards.

14 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I'm concerned about the strength of the district. I listened to you guys all Summer about how great the move to fire Hancock was, now you're about to start 1-5 or 2-4 at best. An ex-Dayton school board member told me Dayton only lost by 12 but it should've been worse, in five years I don't think Hancock ever had a loss considered to be as bad. I said Nations hadn't coached in five years and you told me how good Dayton looked leading up to the season. I'm just saying Dayton fans wanted Hancock out because of what their perception of their program was after Stewart, now they're even further away from what they used to be with other schools in the district trending upwards.

We are 3 games into his first season man. Nobody knows how anything is going to workout yet. Just you don't worry your sweet little head over the strength of the district cause God knows that's the only reason you worry about Dayton all the time. Good luck to Crosby and I will leave it at that.

44 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Dayton is big on the wait and see approach, but after 5 yrs of fan frustration I tell you the fans won't be so patient. Right now were going to let the guy slide a few more games ( hence you don't see many of us old fans posting much) but if things don't get turned around - then things will definitely start to heat up in Bronco land.

3 hours ago, Octfeb said:

I love how everyone can't stop talking about the Broncos... When they win they are talked about constantly and hated on by many. When they lose they are talked about constantly and hated on by many of the same ole posters. SMH

GO BRONCOS!

Sure hope you didn't think I was hating on y'all. My comment was one of surprise, and wondering if it was a one off bad night. Good luck the rest of the way, except when you play us of course.

59 minutes ago, bronco pride said:

We are 3 games into his first season man. Nobody knows how anything is going to workout yet. Just you don't worry your sweet little head over the strength of the district cause God knows that's the only reason you worry about Dayton all the time. Good luck to Crosby and I will leave it at that.

Dayton being in or out of the playoffs has a lot to do with how Crosby's post-season goes. Dayton wins and they push the other small schools out of contention letting Crosby go D2 where they would be the favorite to win the region. Other small schools piling up wins against Dayton sends us D1 with all the 2000s like it did in '09. Good luck to you guys against Humble this week too, y'all will definitely need it because you're going to get rolled at home by New Caney next week.