What are your Top-5 rivalry games that you have attended?

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:27 PM, Pepper Brooks said:

Stephenville vs Brownwood

Stephenville vs Aledo 

Have not seen Stephenville/Brownwood/Wylie but there cannot be any more distaste between 3 schools anywhere else in the country.

As for Stephenville Aledo it was one of the shortest rivalries but every game was exciting and every grade level and sport competed like it was the only game of the season.

17 hours ago, txprepfan said:

1987 WOS 3 Jasper 0

For a 3-0 game was one of the greatest games I ever saw. I still break out the old VHS tape and watch this one from time to time.

That was the most physical high school game I've ever seen. There probably weren't 100 yards of offense combined that night. 

On 6/24/2016 at 6:17 PM, RaiderRed30 said:

Have not seen Stephenville/Brownwood/Wylie but there cannot be any more distaste between 3 schools anywhere else in the country.

As for Stephenville Aledo it was one of the shortest rivalries but every game was exciting and every grade level and sport competed like it was the only game of the season.

2 games standout for me

Sville vs Aledo 2006. Javon Snead threw a touchdown pass too Hunter Hendershot with :08 left for a 31-28 Stephenville victory  One of the top 3 HS games I have ever witnessed.

2007, when the Yellowjackets looked dead with a fourth down deep in Aledo territory and Cody Spano threw a pass against the wind to keep the drive alive and lead Stephenville to the winning touchdown with 1:00 left in the game.

Guest ECBucFan
On 6/24/2016 at 10:02 AM, NDNation said:

MCM

I hope to catch OP and Mid Lee one day.

Funny you mention that! I was looking up OP schedules yesterday, eyeing a trip out to WTX to see this game. Its at Ratliff this year, and presumably at Midland in 2017. I'm gonna go, soon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 3:04 PM, Pepper Brooks said:

2 games standout for me

Sville vs Aledo 2006. Javon Snead threw a touchdown pass too Hunter Hendershot with :08 left for a 31-28 Stephenville victory  One of the top 3 HS games I have ever witnessed.

2007, when the Yellowjackets looked dead with a fourth down deep in Aledo territory and Cody Spano threw a pass against the wind to keep the drive alive and lead Stephenville to the winning touchdown with 1:00 left in the game.

I played on that '06 Aledo team. We were down 21-0 at halftime then came back to take the lead 24-21 late in the 4th. Then the hailmary from about the 40 was the final score. 28-24 was the final. Such a hard fought game and we left it all on the field. The week after we beat a good Everman team then eventually made it to the semifinals and lost to a RG3 lead Copperas Cove team.

2 hours ago, Aledoalumni said:

I played on that '06 Aledo team. We were down 21-0 at halftime then came back to take the lead 24-21 late in the 4th. Then the hailmary from about the 40 was the final score. 28-24 was the final. Such a hard fought game and we left it all on the field. The week after we beat a good Everman team then eventually made it to the semifinals and lost to a RG3 lead Copperas Cove team.

Although it was a short lived rivalry, it had some some of the best football I have ever witnessed.

Sville & Aledo to great football towns

On 6/25/2016 at 11:38 PM, Bulldog92 said:

That was the most physical high school game I've ever seen. There probably weren't 100 yards of offense combined that night. 

I made my way to stand behind the goal post to watch the field goal and he nailed it.And yes that was one tuff night for both teams.

• 6 years later...

2 games standout for me

Miss this rivalry. 

PNG / Nederland:  57 of 58 times they have played since I was born:  Always amazing, or at least interesting

Silsbee / Jasper: Brutal Rivalry: Very Physical Game Always.  

Side Note: When I was a kid & teenager PNG vs. TJ was the big rivalry.

We use to say if you beat Nederland, it's a good year, but if you beat TJ it's a great year!

Any Border War/Border Battle.

La Porte vs. Deer Park. Been going on for 63 games—since 1946. Been a few I’ve missed from time with Uncle Sam & other business. But, have attended most of them since the mid 70’s. Always a packed house of 10,000+, and records are thrown out the window. The betting and sniping doesn’t end with the kids. It actually is as much between the parents & communities who—a majority—work together in the local industry.

A week long buildup every year. You can buy a ticket for a seat. But, it’s never used.

On 6/22/2016 at 8:14 PM, txag14 said:

"The Game" between Baytown Sterling and Baytown Lee. May not be what it once was but I'd like to see how many other high school rivalries draw 13k. Also the loser of that game traditionally falls apart the rest of the season over the loss. 

I also like the trio of BH/Crosby/Dayton.

Deer Park and La Porte is also awesome. 

Side note. Talking to the kids, Baytown Sterling vs. Goose Creek Memorial is gaining traction quickly. GCM kids wanted to do workouts at 5 a.m. when they heard Sterling worked at 5:30. It will only get more intense now that both are 6A. 

PN-G and Nederland tops 13k just about every year. They have had in excess of 15k to 16k in attendance when a district championship or anything else of significants is at stake. This is the best rivalry anywhere. The atmosphere is unexplainable when these two take the field against each other.

2 games standout for me

Was that during the art briles time line? 

21 minutes ago, Coach85 said:

PN-G and Nederland tops 13k just about every year. They have had in excess of 15k to 16k in attendance when a district championship or anything else of significants is at stake. This is the best rivalry anywhere. The atmosphere is unexplainable when these two take the field against each other.

Agree 100%. In this area there's nothing like this rivalry. It's covered and reported on like a big time college match up every year. Heck, I'm not sure if it's on TV but it should be! 

For me it's...

Coldspring/Shepherd=Battle of San Jacinto County (It been entertaining as of late) 

Coldspring/Cleveland=I miss the after game fights lol... Just kidding

Longview/Marshall=One of the best rivalries in the state 

Willis/Huntsville=Rivalry has died down since Willis moved up to 6A but they can possibly find a new rival in Cleveland

Huntsville/Livingston=Used to be district rivals

23 hours ago, OlDawg said:

Any Border War/Border Battle.

La Porte vs. Deer Park. Been going on for 63 games—since 1946. Been a few I’ve missed from time with Uncle Sam & other business. But, have attended most of them since the mid 70’s. Always a packed house of 10,000+, and records are thrown out the window. The betting and sniping doesn’t end with the kids. It actually is as much between the parents & communities who—a majority—work together in the local industry.

A week long buildup every year. You can buy a ticket for a seat. But, it’s never used.

Sounds like another version of MCM. Back in my college days, I had a GF from PNG. Then the next year I had one from Ned. Then the next year my next GF was from PNG. Back and forth, LOL.