Locals who have asked for release

MossHill

1 minute ago, theNeed4Speed said:

Hudson / Martin have both asked for releases. Any idea where these two may land next?

I seen Dickson (Navasota) wants out as well.

I think its' upwards to 8-10 who have asked for releases at this time. Imagine there's more to come.

Hey, you were right, I shoulda took the over and not the under. Mass exodus about to go on. 

52 minutes ago, theNeed4Speed said:

Hudson / Martin have both asked for releases. Any idea where these two may land next?

I seen Dickson (Navasota) wants out as well.

I think its' upwards to 8-10 who have asked for releases at this time. Imagine there's more to come.

so what happens when BU says no to the request? any other options beside sit out for a year?

In Hudson's case, I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out football for a year. 

He didn't enroll in Baylor and is smart enough to get into wherever he probably decides to go. 

#1 Overall ESPN 300 Offensive Guard  -  I see plenty of schools laying down the red carpet.

Hook 'Em.

Sorry Aggies

1 hour ago, Silsbee92 said:

In Hudson's case, I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out football for a year. 

He didn't enroll in Baylor and is smart enough to get into wherever he probably decides to go. 

#1 Overall ESPN 300 Offensive Guard  -  I see plenty of schools laying down the red carpet.

Hook 'Em.

Sorry Aggies

He'll look better in Cardinal & White. #WPS

2 hours ago, dBerrySports said:

The kids can appeal it to the NCAA I believe. Beyond that, if the NCAA doesn't grant the release, I'd assume they have to sit out the year or go to Baylor

Appeal would actually go back to NLI who is the governing body until the student athlete attends classes.  School has 30 days to make a decision on whether or not to grant a release from when when its requested.  Then if Baylor regects it, the appeal will be filed and they will take 4-6 to make a decision.

7 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

Baylor needs to just let these kids out of their NLI. They don't want to be there. Trying to force them to the school is a bad look.

Lol... "Forcing" them to accept a free education at a top-ranked private university. Poor kids. 

Here's some wisdom. Life ain't fair and the world is mean. Too bad that one of the coaches got rolled out, but you gave your commitment. Grayland Arnold is playing this right. 

And I can't stand Baylor. 

1 minute ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol... "Forcing" them to accept a free education at a top-ranked private university. Poor kids. 

Your point? There are plenty of other universities that can provide the same thing. You can say it however you want to, they are forcing them to the school when they do not want to go there anymore.

13 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

Your point? There are plenty of other universities that can provide the same thing. You can say it however you want to, they are forcing them to the school when they do not want to go there anymore.

Thise kids committed themselves to Baylor. Baylor then made recruiting decisions based on these kids' commitments. There are gaps that the school will now have, if these kids are released, that can't be filled this late. There are other kids who might have gotten a scholarship to Baylor if these kids had not committed. If Coach Briles had taken an NFL job or dropped dead, they would still have to sit out a year if they wanted to jump ship. Same thing should apply here. The school and other kids have acted to their own detriment based on the commitments that these kids made. 

Buy a car and change your mind? You can walk away, but there's a price to pay. Try changing your mind after signing up for the military. What if the Bears still had Briles and started 0-7 next year? Still okay to get a release from the school?  What seemed to be a good choice for these young men turned out to not be such a good decision. But a commitment is a commitment. 

3 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Thise kids committed themselves to Baylor. Baylor then made recruiting decisions based on these kids' commitments. There are gaps that the school will now have, if these kids are released, that can't be filled this late. There are other kids who might have gotten a scholarship to Baylor if these kids had not committed. If Coach Briles had taken an NFL job or dropped dead, they would still have to sit out a year if they wanted to jump ship. Same Hong should apply here. The school and other kids have acted to their own detriment based on the commitments that these kids made. 

So you equate leaving for the NFL to be the same as being fired for allowing players to run around raping women with no consequence! Really! Like Seriously! Smh... Some people are so full of ish till its not even funny anymore.

3 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

So you equate leaving for the NFL to be the same as being fired for allowing players to run around raping women with no consequence! Really! Like Seriously! Smh... Some people are so full of ish till its not even funny anymore.

Dude.... Give me a break. Everybody knows that crap happens at schools everywhere. These kids aren't bailing because of the rapes  that occurred. They're wanting to leave because Briles is out. No offense, but this area's top offensive lineman would have never played high school ball where he did  if he had a problem with football players raping girls. 

The "it happens everywhere" excuse is lame. That's not a fact and the fact is, Baylor got caught. When Penn State got caught up in their scandal, the NCAA let them out of their scholarships and transfer wherever they wanted to. Should be the same in this case.

And CardinalBacker, you talk about how "life aint fair and the world is mean" but if the kids try and get their release from Baylor then "Baylor then made recruiting decisions based on these kids' commitments. There are gaps that the school will now have, if these kids are released, that can't be filled this late." So why does life have to be fair for Baylor and not the kids? One of those is a multi-million dollar entity and the other is the kid making a ton of sacrifice to help that entity profit. I'll take the side of the kid over the school if there's someone to "cry over"

As far as the unnecessary comment you had about the area's top OL and where he played high school ball at, pretty sure that's where he's from. 

It is a sad day when the only defense that some have for Baylor is "you know that crap happens at every school". Baylor coach didn't leave because he went to the NFL, he didn't die, and he didn't have an 0-7 start. He got fired because he helped cover up sexual assault by some of his football players that lasted for several years. Maybe they don't want to be associated with a football program and a University that covers up a something like that.  A football program that has a very good chance of getting NCAA sanctions against it. If this years recruit leaves oh well, if it happens it happens. No one needs to criticize the decision of these players if they want to leave. 

31 minutes ago, NDOMAKONG said:

I'm with dBerry on this one.  Baylor loses this argument, if nothing else in the court of public opinion and human decency, and should let these young men out of their commitment.  The Penn St. analogy is pretty much dead on accurate.

Its not quite on the level of Penn State but close.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Here's some wisdom. Life ain't fair and the world is mean. Too bad that one of the coaches got rolled out, but you gave your commitment. Grayland Arnold is playing this right. 

And I can't stand Baylor. 

Here we go with this BS again. "Top education..." yeah right. I am sure that's why those kids chose Baylor....for the education...gimme a break.

2 hours ago, Yeoj said:

Be honest. The kids want out because Briles is gone. If Briles still had the big desk in the field house, every single one of the kids would be enrolled. How about if a particular other recruit leaves? Is that a reason to get released to play elsewhere? What if the star QB gets hurt? Is that reason enough to get a release to play elsewhere? 

I also think that schools should have to honor their offers that are made to kids. It's garbage that kids get their offers pulled or reduced by schools.... That shouldn't happen either. 

But you have to admit that it's funny when a dad talks to the news about how Baylor should "do the right thing" by his son, because they would have NEVER wanted to be associated with a program that would cover up a rape..... Except that's exactly what the same kids high school program is most famous for.

Those kids committed to play foot ball for Baylor. There were no guarantees about who would be the coach, or who would be the Qb, or if they'd be contenders, or any such thing. Honor the commitment you made, or go play juco ball, or sit out a year. 

Kids the same age don't get to go home from the Army because things didn't turn out like they'd imagined. Man up, boys. 

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Be honest. The kids want out because Briles is gone. If Briles still had the big desk in the field house, every single one of the kids would be enrolled. How about if a particular other recruit leaves? Is that a reason to get released to play elsewhere? What if the star QB gets hurt? Is that reason enough to get a release to play elsewhere? 

I also think that schools should have to honor their offers that are made to kids. It's garbage that kids get their offers pulled or reduced by schools.... That shouldn't happen either. 

But you have to admit that it's funny when a dad talks to the news about how Baylor should "do the right thing" by his son, because they would have NEVER wanted to be associated with a program that would cover up a rape..... Except that's exactly what the same kids high school program is most famous for.

Those kids committed to play foot ball for Baylor. There were no guarantees about who would be the coach, or who would be the Qb, or if they'd be contenders, or any such thing. Honor the commitment you made, or go play juco ball, or sit out a year. 

Kids the same age don't get to go home from the Army because things didn't turn out like they'd imagined. Man up, boys. 

So you're saying that the coaches and administration at Silsbee helped cover up the rape?

2 hours ago, Yeoj said:
7 minutes ago, Scatright said:

So you're saying that the coaches and administration at Silsbee helped cover up the rape?

I haven't said anything about any particular school or player, so "no."

But there is a high school in Setx that got sued by a cheerleader/rape victim because her accused rapists were football players and the school later had this young lady choose between quitting cheerleading or cheering for the alleged rapists at basketball games. So if your asking me if a particular school in SETX allowed football players accused of rape continue to participate in sports, just like Bayor did then that answer is "yes." People who know the story know what I'm taking about and recognize the hypocrisy.

I think to justify the releases for these young men in terms of a morality play are misguided.  First, while CardinalBacker's language may be a little strong, the timeline of events fall squarely within his argument.  The allegations of a cover up of these sexual assaults had been apparent since late winter and all throughout the spring.  All the while, Hudson, Martin, et al remained silent and made no indication of their intention to not enroll and seek releases from their NLI's. That silence remained as the allegations went from mere rumor to clear and convincing.  Yet, the first time that these young men spoke up about not enrolling was when Briles and Starr, the men fingered as leading these cover up attempts, were removed from their respective posts.  If the existence of this activity was as shocking to these young men's moral conscious as some maintain, then the punitive measures made by Baylor should have provided the imputus to allow these young men to know that they were going to a university that would allow this no longer.  Yet, the act of removing Briles seemed to be the event that convinced them to seek release. So to claim that they are simply standing up for their convictions in seeking release does seem to me to be a bit far fetched.

Second, even if you disagree with my assessment above, I think that we can all agree that attempting to appeal to a major college program that it is the "right thing to do" is futile.  I mean if we have learned anything over the years and have had it yet affirmed again with the sexual assault cover up, it is that the moral compass of major college programs are usually fouled up.

No, the justification for Baylor to grant these young men the release from their NLI's comes from sheer pragmatism.  Right now, Baylor has about 10 players that, for whatever reason, have decided that they will never play a down as a Baylor Bear.  Sure, the university can hold the spector of these guys having to sit out a year, but haven't those that are seeking their releases already accepted that fate?  Hudson and Martin have decided not to enroll.  It seems that refusing releases would be Baylor cutting off it's nose despite its face.  Texas and Texas A&M have both recognized in very high profile transfer situations that trying to muscle a kid who no longer wants to be in the program only does harm to the program.

So, should the appeal be that it is the right thing to do?  No.  The appeal should be that it is the smart thing to do.