BILL JEHLING HIRED AS HAMSHIRE-FANNETT AD/HEAD COACH!

pete22600

No one expected it to be a unanimous vote. Probably wouldn't have been for any  candidate. After hearing Coach Jehling interviewed on the news I think we are off to a great start with his enthusiasm, focus and the fact that he will place an emphasis on a summer workout program. His defense looked good last year when I saw Lumberton in a few games and I hope he uses some of their offensive schemes as well. Hopefully he can get his staff filled out quickly with other high caliber coaches so HF is competitive across the board in athletics

57 minutes ago, Scatright said:

That's not a good start.

I understand Gilmore's vote against. He is the other candidates brother-in-law. Probably would have been more appropriate to not vote at all for or against Jehling. For the other member Mott, not really sure why he voted against, unless he is friends with the other candidate or has some kind of agenda. Votes from a school board should always be what is best for the kids.

It does not matter now, Coach Jehling is the man at HF and it looks like the community is behind him. They have some work to do!

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I hope the guy does well.  But I think this is a no win situation.

We'll be having this conversation again in 2 years.  It'll be some other guy and Lance Dale in the top 2 in 2018.

He will make the playoffs in FB the next two years so if we are having this conversation it is because he moved on to a bigger school and not success on the field. 4 out of 5 teams make the playoffs in this district so it doesn't take much. I don't agree with that system at all but it's what the UIL wants. More games = more money

8 minutes ago, Whoa said:

Yes, a revolving door at HF

As I have said many times no Program, no tradition, no stability, no leadership,

Same song and dance

Lets see who all moves to Mid County

Harris was AD for 4 years. Not exactly a revolving door. Price was here for 2 and went to C.E.King. Knew he wouldn't stay long and he didn't care to be here anyway. 

You said before that you knew or worked with Coach Tarver. If so then your statement you know he established a program with stability and leadership. Also class and humility.

There were 3 kids who moved to Mid-County 5-6 years ago. 1 to live with his dad and the other two for personal reasons. Maybe didn't want to compete with King. You act like it happens every year. 

Go grind your axe somewhere else. HF must have fired you at some point

From what I hear from some this could of been dale last time applying  & new coach may have asked for more than 2yrs since that was one reason for why some wanted dale. Instead of hating on this coach & athletes ..let them get a yr in before y'all say we will be having this convo again. We have great athletes here & more could be moving in from bigger districts who parents want their kid to get a better education. HF will be a contender in district Wait & See.  Again congrats to Coach J. 

1 minute ago, drich329 said:

From what I hear from some this could of been dale last time applying  & new coach may have asked for more than 2yrs since that was one reason for why some wanted dale. Instead of hating on this coach & athletes ..let them get a yr in before y'all say we will be having this convo again. We have great athletes here & more could be moving in from bigger districts who parents want their kid to get a better education. HF will be a contender in district Wait & See.  Again congrats to Coach J. 

Heard he asked for 5 years

Not even Superintendents get 5 year contracts.  Mott and Gilmore had their own agendas and if Dale would have been a consideration then the Posting for the board meeting would have had a line about the resignation of a board member and then a line about the replacement of a board member.  They would have then had to schedule another board meeting to hire a head coach/AD.  There is also great leadership in that district if you look at the districts accomplishments academically and other areas.  Athletics is not the only area ( but some people didn't want that to succeed either).

5 hours ago, Crawford72 said:

He will make the playoffs in FB the next two years so if we are having this conversation it is because he moved on to a bigger school and not success on the field. 4 out of 5 teams make the playoffs in this district so it doesn't take much. I don't agree with that system at all but it's what the UIL wants. More games = more money

Who will be the team left out in that district?

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

It was all that when TARVER was there.  Im blessed to be part of that era

You are right Tarver was a good guy, good coach and unassuming. 

Like most, we have all been fired/non renewed or saw the writing on the wall.

Good Luck to Coach Jehling!  Think this is a great hire for HF and one to get them going in the right direction if the parents and school board (especially Mott and GILMORE) will let him do his job.  There will be coaching changes but for the better of HF Athletics.  He's already saying moving to the community and getting involved before kids get into his program.  This is something that has to be done and you can see the achievements in sorrounding school districts with their programs (HJ, EC, Ned and several more)!

27 minutes ago, watup said:

Good Luck to Coach Jehling!  Think this is a great hire for HF and one to get them going in the right direction if the parents and school board (especially Mott and GILMORE) will let him do his job.  There will be coaching changes but for the better of HF Athletics.  He's already saying moving to the community and getting involved before kids get into his program.  This is something that has to be done and you can see the achievements in sorrounding school districts with their programs (HJ, EC, Ned and several more)!

That's usually a tough feat.  

Yet to be seen.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, Crawford72 said:

It will vary year to year. WOS will always win district. I think HJ will make it the next couple of years.

District 12-4A Division II

Hamshire Fannett

Liberty

Orangefield

Hardin Jefferson

West Orange Stark

You have Orangefield or Liberty on the outside looking in?

3 minutes ago, RayJr said:

District 12-4A Division II

Hamshire Fannett

Liberty

Orangefield

Hardin Jefferson

West Orange Stark

You have Orangefield or Liberty on the outside looking in?

I'm calling it now..it will be between Orangefield and HF for the 4th spot.  WOS wins...HJ and Liberty are 2 and 3.  I'm calling it.

Well, just so you will know that's the teams I am picking as well. I will go one further and put them in order for everyone.

1) WO-S (repeat as state champs) - if not win it all, they'll be in the ship.

2) Liberty (very young team last year and will be back stronger than they've been since 2003)

3) HJ - 2nd year in new system and making lots of progress

4) Orangefield - Smalley will have them kids competing but still a couple years out from being real good

Ham Fannett - Rebuild

2 hours ago, prepballfan said:

This is so dejavu my very close friend from HF told me it would not matter who they hired people will be pissed...  He as so right.... I am hearing some folks are already in an uproar........  WOW

Well, while it is unfortunate that they want to lynch Coach Jehling before his team takes the field, it is fortunate that he, as Chris Babin's assistant, has experience in this matter.  As I recall, there were a number of folks in Lumberton last year who wanted Coach Babin and his staff, including Coach Jehling, hanging from the tallest tree over Village Creek before the Raiders even took a snap.  I am sure Coach observed well what was done to placate those folks and he will surely apply those lessons in Hamshire.

And if the results of last year are not repeated, I hope the Longhorn faithful keep in mind that it has more to do with who is no longer behind center than with who wears the big headset on the sidelines.