Angel Bullock

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Notice what I said too...I said a lot of better teams than BS don't have 3 college basketball players.  I'm talking about any level as well.  Trust me...if I coached a 2A school that had 3 D2 players on it I better be winning state every year I got em.  Because that's a dynamite team.  You guys are throwing these terms around pretty loosely...D2, D3, JUCO...you better believe those kids can ball too.  

Tell me the last time a small school had more than 1 player end up on a college roster.

when i was at D3 ETBU, a bunch of us soccer guys played intramural basketball.  One of the intramural teams we played was full of guys who'd failed off the basketball team, guys who'd used up all their eligibility, and guys that had been kicked off for disciplinary reasons.  At the half we were down 6, and ended up losing by less than 20.  Bear in mind that not a guy on our team was over 6 foot tall, and they started 3 guys 6'3'' or taller, plus an all-conference point guard.  Many of these guys had been multi-year starters for the ETBU basketball program.  While i was there ETBU was competitive in their conference.  So these guys  had all played (in various capacities) for a college team in the top quarter of the conference, and they came out and were up 51-45 at the half to a team full of short little soccer players.  My point being that Bullock and Williams would've been all-conference type players for those etbu squads, and i don't believe that the conference has improved that much since i've been there.  I would say that pretty much any kid with above average height or above average skill can find SOMEWHERE to play basketball if they want.  I think the reason you don't see a lot of smaller schools sending a lot of players off of one team to play in college is that most of those kids don't care enough about basketball to go play for bad programs far away from home.

31 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

when i was at D3 ETBU, a bunch of us soccer guys played intramural basketball.  One of the intramural teams we played was full of guys who'd failed off the basketball team, guys who'd used up all their eligibility, and guys that had been kicked off for disciplinary reasons.  At the half we were down 6, and ended up losing by less than 20.  Bear in mind that not a guy on our team was over 6 foot tall, and they started 3 guys 6'3'' or taller, plus an all-conference point guard.  Many of these guys had been multi-year starters for the ETBU basketball program.  While i was there ETBU was competitive in their conference.  So these guys  had all played (in various capacities) for a college team in the top quarter of the conference, and they came out and were up 51-45 at the half to a team full of short little soccer players.  My point being that Bullock and Williams would've been all-conference type players for those etbu squads, and i don't believe that the conference has improved that much since i've been there.  I would say that pretty much any kid with above average height or above average skill can find SOMEWHERE to play basketball if they want.  I think the reason you don't see a lot of smaller schools sending a lot of players off of one team to play in college is that most of those kids don't care enough about basketball to go play for bad programs far away from home.

I agree. These Big Sandy kids know how to play basketball, and have skill to go along with it. Remember this team beat Nederland who IMO will win one possibly two playoff games depending on match-ups in the Area Round...these kids can play.

Angel had a bad game vs Kountze in this particular game. I have seen him 12 times this year. The kid can play D1 basketball but I believe his best fit is a D2 school due to size. Aside from that, the point of this thread was due to him being unsigned and a hidden jewel for talent in this area. I have seen a lot of basketball this year and in my time and feel as though the kid can play because of his many attributes, not just shooting the rock. He's extremely intelligent. Yes #4 Benz can play at a D2-D3 as well and should. They won the HJ Marathon against some pretty solid competition. I was convinced then that I had seen something special between those boys. But, we shall see if those of you on here will be able to help or just sit back and talk about what HE (angel) has not done or isn't capable of doing and taking a shot on a kid who loves the game just as much as any of us do and will work his arse off at getting better.

It should also be noted that if the grades and test score(s) are there, this also opens things up quite a bit.   There are a LOT of high academic schools who need kids who can qualify for admittance and be able to play.   The kid's money comes from the academic side but if you are playing and going to school for free, who cares?

On that note, if he does have a high gpa and SATs, he might consider going to a Ryan Silver camp.   He's out of Cali and most are on the west coast but those camps are generally well attended.  And he's very well known and connected with those types of institutions.  

9 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

Angel had a bad game vs Kountze in this particular game. I have seen him 12 times this year. The kid can play D1 basketball but I believe his best fit is a D2 school due to size. Aside from that, the point of this thread was due to him being unsigned and a hidden jewel for talent in this area. I have seen a lot of basketball this year and in my time and feel as though the kid can play because of his many attributes, not just shooting the rock. He's extremely intelligent. Yes #4 Benz can play at a D2-D3 as well and should. They won the HJ Marathon against some pretty solid competition. I was convinced then that I had seen something special between those boys. But, we shall see if those of you on here will be able to help or just sit back and talk about what HE (angel) has not done or isn't capable of doing and taking a shot on a kid who loves the game just as much as any of us do and will work his arse off at getting better.

Size?  Never allow your size to think one cannot play at certain levels. 

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few programs have reached out lately and I think once BS pulls off this deep run into the playoffs a few more will come into the picture.

I certainly do not see any opponent playing a close game vs. Big Sandy the rest of the way.

On 1/29/2016 at 3:36 PM, bullets13 said:

I'm not saying these kids can't play.  And I'm not saying they aren't good enough to make a college roster somewhere in the country.  But I think there is some underestimating going on with the talent of college basketball players as a whole.  Even at the lower divisions.  Here is a roster of this year's team at ETBU: 

This is the hidden content, please

I'll agree...the heights of the players aren't overly impressive.  But you are talking about a D3 program.  But there is one thing that sticks to me that's very obvious.  On that roster there are 5 Juco transfers, an NAIA transfer, and a D2 transfer.  Along with several kids that went to high school at a big school.  Now that doesn't mean Angel isn't good enough to make that roster...no...but it does mean that just about every kid on that roster has played against much tougher competition before getting to that roster.  Just about..not all.  Now you could find exceptions to every single thing I'm saying...but the fact is that I chose a D3 team at random because it was mentioned earlier...and I think it speaks for itself.  And...with all of those college transfers, if you look at their schedule you'll see that every game they've played is pretty close.  And they've only played against other D3 teams.  Which tells me the other D3 teams are pretty competitive with a school with 7 college transfers.  If you think even D3 teams aren't searching for the absolute best of the best...then you're mistaken I think.

On 1/29/2016 at 4:20 PM, MOSSHILL said:

You're underestimating the talent of D2 basketball.  

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not saying these kids can't play.  And I'm not saying they aren't good enough to make a college roster somewhere in the country.  But I think there is some underestimating going on with the talent of college basketball players as a whole.  Even at the lower divisions.  Here is a roster of this year's team at ETBU: 

This is the hidden content, please

I'll agree...the heights of the players aren't overly impressive.  But you are talking about a D3 program.  But there is one thing that sticks to me that's very obvious.  On that roster there are 5 Juco transfers, an NAIA transfer, and a D2 transfer.  Along with several kids that went to high school at a big school.  Now that doesn't mean Angel isn't good enough to make that roster...no...but it does mean that just about every kid on that roster has played against much tougher competition before getting to that roster.  Just about..not all.  Now you could find exceptions to every single thing I'm saying...but the fact is that I chose a D3 team at random because it was mentioned earlier...and I think it speaks for itself.  And...with all of those college transfers, if you look at their schedule you'll see that every game they've played is pretty close.  And they've only played against other D3 teams.  Which tells me the other D3 teams are pretty competitive with a school with 7 college transfers.  If you think even D3 teams aren't searching for the absolute best of the best...then you're mistaken I think.

You're underestimating the talent of D2 basketball.  

More likely a bunch of kids who weren't good enough to make it where they were before.  I have no doubt he is good enough to make that roster, without even having seen ETBU play in a few seasons.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

More likely a bunch of kids who weren't good enough to make it where they were before.  I have no doubt he is good enough to make that roster, without even having seen ETBU play in a few seasons.  

Yes..that definitely seems plausible.  7 different college coaches are such bad recruiter that they wasted roster spots and maybe even scholarship money on kids that they knew would flop out.  Then...a college coach of however many decades also wasted roster spots on those 7 kids knowing that they weren't good enough to play for their former school.

Yep.  Makes sense.

ETBU is 20-5 right now.. I haven't seen them play either, and I could care less.  But they seem to be doing ok.  And trust me.. if "he is good enough to make that roster" I'm sure they will reach out to him at some point.  If not...well I guess you're wrong.

43 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yes..that definitely seems plausible.  7 different college coaches are such bad recruiter that they wasted roster spots and maybe even scholarship money on kids that they knew would flop out.  Then...a college coach of however many decades also wasted roster spots on those 7 kids knowing that they weren't good enough to play for their former school.

Yep.  Makes sense.

ETBU is 20-5 right now.. I haven't seen them play either, and I could care less.  But they seem to be doing ok.  And trust me.. if "he is good enough to make that roster" I'm sure they will reach out to him at some point.  If not...well I guess you're wrong.

You know what sounds even less plausible?  7 different college players CHOOSING to leave colleges that they're having success playing careers at to drop down a division or two to play on a DIII squad that averages a good season about every 7 or 8 years.  And yes, i would absolutely assume that every year coaches have players that flop out and end up quitting/transferring.  Some of those players don't fit in with the team, some fail out, some are dissatisfied with playing time, or maybe the school, or maybe the coaches, or maybe the town their college is in.  Many of those players end up transferring to smaller schools.  How many players on Lamar's football team (a middle of the road FCS team) came in from big name D-1 schools for many of those same reasons.  I know i'm comparing different sports, but it's the same result on a smaller scale.  

As for questioning whether or not Bullock is good enough to make ETBU's roster, there's no question at all.  Now whether ETBU knows about him, or knows enough about him to try and recruit him, or whether they look at his size and a little bit of tape and get scared off, i have no idea.  But to even question whether the best player of an entire classification of basketball in the state of Texas is good enough to make a D-3 roster is ludicrous.  Having not seen ETBU play this year i can still guarantee you he's good enough to not only make the team, but make a significant contribution, as he would without a doubt immediately become the best shooter on the team, as well as likely the most fundamentally sound.  

9 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

You know what sounds even less plausible?  7 different college players CHOOSING to leave colleges that they're having success playing careers at to drop down a division or two to play on a DIII squad that averages a good season about every 7 or 8 years.  And yes, i would absolutely assume that every year coaches have players that flop out and end up quitting/transferring.  Some of those players don't fit in with the team, some fail out, some are dissatisfied with playing time, or maybe the school, or maybe the coaches, or maybe the town their college is in.  Many of those players end up transferring to smaller schools.  How many players on Lamar's football team (a middle of the road FCS team) came in from big name D-1 schools for many of those same reasons.  I know i'm comparing different sports, but it's the same result on a smaller scale.  

As for questioning whether or not Bullock is good enough to make ETBU's roster, there's no question at all.  Now whether ETBU knows about him, or knows enough about him to try and recruit him, or whether they look at his size and a little bit of tape and get scared off, i have no idea.  But to even question whether the best player of an entire classification of basketball in the state of Texas is good enough to make a D-3 roster is ludicrous.  Having not seen ETBU play this year i can still guarantee you he's good enough to not only make the team, but make a significant contribution, as he would without a doubt immediately become the best shooter on the team, as well as likely the most fundamentally sound.  

I love me some Angel Bullock, but you might want to pump the breaks on those last comments.

12 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Who's questioning?..  I think maybe you should scroll up a few messages and rethink the comment about me "questioning" whether or not he's good enough to make ETBU's roster.  

I'm just simply defending the current players at the lower levels.  They are better than you think.  And no....unfortunately...if he isn't recruited FOR WHATEVER REASON then THEY THINK he isn't good enough to play for them.  Whether you or anyone else thinks he is is irrelevant.  You are not their recruiting coordinator so they don't care what you think. 

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Actually ETBU went to the final four last year and could very well do it again. Jay McKnight freshman guard at ETBU from Fort Bend Marshall won defensive MVP of his district last year. The other best player on Marshall won Offensive MVP. They both play D3 basketball. With that said, Angel wouldn't have seen much minutes if any on last years Marshall team. But he all of a sudden contributes to ETBU right now. Idk about all that. Like oldschool said you are selling these lower classification players short. 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I love me some Angel Bullock, but you might want to pump the breaks on those last comments.

I find it hard to believe that a lights out shooter who is a competent ball handler and plays good defense wouldn't be making a meaningful contribution for a D-3 team.  I'm not saying he goes and is the best player and takes over some all-conference player's starting spot, but I find it hard to believe he isn't seeing the floor and making some sort of impact.  But you know more about basketball on this level than me, and I'm not saying that sarcastically.