2015 Willie Ray Smith Finalists

WOSgrad

The thing is this isn't a team award it's an individual,. Shouldn't matter who would or did beat who. Both of these Qbs had great numbers, ones numbers were greater.  I really have little problem with someone taking an approach like shlykbmt said he did.  One thing I wonder is how those numbers compared in the same number of games.  I know the overall win loss of opponents would be about the same.  i will say it's hard to judge based on each team playing different schedules.  To me an individual award goes to the best player not the player whose team went farther or beat the other.  In a case with similar stats it's a judgement call.  Maybe this one falls into that in the voters eyes.

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Y'all need to get off the small school stuff.  WOS would have beaten WB like a rented mule. 

And you know where the hating stuff comes from.  He's been bashing WOS on threads on this site way before this season.  Little green monster in full effect.  And it's not so much the opinion on who won - arguments can be made for all the kids.  But to say a kid who had over 200 tackles shouldn't have been nominated?  That's just ignorant...

Off topic, but with the size WB had in the trenches, a good RB and a stud WR, you would have found that game Vs. WB similar or worse than the Foster game, IMO...

But what about the argument with the Silsbee kid?  He has a good argument, and I don't think he's hating.  I agree with him.

26 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Off topic, but with the size WB had in the trenches, a good RB and a stud WR, you would have found that game Vs. WB similar or worse than the Foster game, IMO...

But what about the argument with the Silsbee kid?  He has a good argument, and I don't think he's hating.  I agree with him.

oh my god , you comparing yourself to foster? Bmt wouldn't even compete with WOS in these past years. you struggle with teams WOS can beat at WILL. WB is always in a dogfight against central or ozen. In two years WOS held central to 2 tds and put 50 point on them. tired of hearing this small school crap. Tims and Dallas won, congrats to the others also. It's only a reward. Y'all are whining more than the players itself.

27 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Are you calling me the Silsbee kid? If so I don't know whether to thank you or be offended.  I am about to turn 46, I wish I was still a kid!!

1 minute ago, wosfan1992 said:

oh my god , you comparing yourself to foster? Bmt wouldn't even compete with WOS in these past years. you struggle with teams WOS can beat at WILL. WB is always in a dogfight against central or ozen. In two years WOS held central to 2 tds and put 50 point on them. tired of hearing this small school crap. Tims and Dallas won, congrats to the others also. It's only a reward. Y'all are whining more than the players itself.

1.  I'm no West Brook fan.

2. WB was bigger than Foster in the trenches.

3. WB WR was the best in SETX for 3 consecutive years.

4. Recipe for disaster for a good WO-S team that proved to have problems with teams with size and just as much athleticism as them.  (notice that I DIDN'T mention Central or Ozen)

5. Let me find out your feathers got ruffled because I mentioned big school.  Lol

26 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

1.  I'm no West Brook fan.

2. WB was bigger than Foster in the trenches.

3. WB WR was the best in SETX for 3 consecutive years.

4. Recipe for disaster for a good WO-S team that proved to have problems with teams with size and just as much athleticism as them.  (notice that I DIDN'T mention Central or Ozen)

5. Let me find out your feathers got ruffled because I mentioned big school.  Lol

1. WB probably wouldn't have scored on foster 

2. We dominate in the trenches the most part no matter the size. State game an example 

3. WOS arguably had the best secondary in the past 3 years.

4. Never ruffled here. I'm the parent of a state champ ;);)

4 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

1. WB probably wouldn't have scored on foster 

2. We dominate in the trenches the most part no matter the size. State game an example 

3. WOS arguably had the best secondary in the past 3 years.

4. Never ruffled here. I'm the parent of a state champ ;);)

1. I've seen WO-S this year.  Too light in the arse to consistently stop a large team like WB...

2. WB was bigger than your opponent from the state title game and probably just as or more athletic.

3. I agree with you on that, but would have still had their hands full vs. Keith Corbin Jr. (#1) for WB.

4.  I can relate to the football parent as I'm also one.  Congrats! Hopefully my son's team becomes state champions within the next 4 years....

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

1. I've seen WO-S this year.  Too light in the arse to consistently stop a large team like WB...

2. WB was bigger than your opponent from the state title game and probably just as or more athletic.

3. I agree with you on that, but would have still had their hands full vs. Keith Corbin Jr. (#1) for WB.

4.  I can relate to the football parent as I'm also one.  Congrats! Hopefully my son's team becomes state champions within the next 4 years....

I somewhat agree but WB? size doesn't mean anythjng. if you can ball you can ball. come on now. we'd be more worried about Silsbee than west brook. But I respect you. Wish the best of luck to your team in the playoffs for basketball and the next year's football season.

9 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Tims had 12 tackles in the state championship, 3 for loss and won the defensive MVP. Those stats weren't kept by WOS. 

I use plenty of factors when voting, and don't just get caught up on stats. Every coach uses players in different ways. Some rest players when building a lead, others don't have that option and need every single point to win. 

Dallas led his team to a 15-1 record, going 13-1 against playoff teams. Including Silsbee. Opponents combined records, 120-81.

Thomas led his team to an 11-3 record, going 6-3 against playoff teams. Opponents combined records, 84-80.

This just one thing I looked at to go along with watching both.

Another thing I ask is who would I want to lead me in the final drive of the game. Dallas is the most precise passer I've seen in a long time. He doesn't need huge numbers, he manages the game.

When the ballot first came out I was going with Thomas. But then I started digging more and more, and comparing. Just my choice. Zero bias. I enjoy working around all of these young men. 

I understand your theory but also use this theory. Take Thomas away from Silsbee, they go 3-7 miss the playoffs . Take Dallas from WOS, they still go at least 3-4 rounds deep in the playoffs. Thomas was the most valuable player. Silsbee can only play the schedule in front to of them. Look at Dontre's numbers vs playoff teams. 

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Foster would have beaten WB like a dead rented mule.  

You're mistaking Beaumont schools with schools who are actually good at football. 

I saw WB twice, once in a loss to a Memorial team that was pretty bad.  

9 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Tims had 12 tackles in the state championship, 3 for loss and won the defensive MVP. Those stats weren't kept by WOS. 

I use plenty of factors when voting, and don't just get caught up on stats. Every coach uses players in different ways. Some rest players when building a lead, others don't have that option and need every single point to win. 

Dallas led his team to a 15-1 record, going 13-1 against playoff teams. Including Silsbee. Opponents combined records, 120-81.

Thomas led his team to an 11-3 record, going 6-3 against playoff teams. Opponents combined records, 84-80.

This just one thing I looked at to go along with watching both.

Another thing I ask is who would I want to lead me in the final drive of the game. Dallas is the most precise passer I've seen in a long time. He doesn't need huge numbers, he manages the game.

When the ballot first came out I was going with Thomas. But then I started digging more and more, and comparing. Just my choice. Zero bias. I enjoy working around all of these young men. 

I mean, if you really want to talk about who you'd want to lead you in the final drive of a game: 

This is the hidden content, please

3 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Great points. Cannot really argue with any of them.

But, to speak on what I put in bold if I may. 3rd round of the playoffs, Silsbee vs. El Campo. Silsbee trailed 42-35 with 1:19 left in game, on their own 23 yard line, no time outs left. Dontre Thomas LED his team on a game winning drive, throwing a TD pass with no time remaining, making the score 42-41. Dontre convinced the coaches to go for two and the win and then called his own number, scoring the two pointer and winning the game, 43-42.

I would say that qualifies as a leader of a team and being the man on the final drive.

I congratulate Dallas and Tims. Job well done.

I voted Thomas for offense, Tims for defense.

Everyone that knows me knows how highly I think of Jack Dallas.  But I would have voted exactly the same as you on both.  

Welcome to the board Danny! 

The fact is every kid nominated was deserving to win. Like Elam at first I was going to vote Thomas but in the end I couldn't pass up what Jack did in the state final.

As for Tims, the only thing I will say is ozenfinest is a fool if you think he shouldn't even be a finalist. That is so dumb to say. You say in one breath look at the stats when talking about Thomas. Well then look at the stats for Tims. 

7 minutes ago, DannyShapiroBE said:

Stop. Lol. Just stop.

Thomas had a better individual season over Dallas no matter how you wanna trick ur mind spin it. For a kid to score 71tds, 5100 total yards, go 4 rounds deep and not win the WRS award is a travesty. Most of you seem to look at WOS team and vote. If this award is for the single best individual football player on the offensive side of the ball then Dontre Thomas was your guy and you voters got it wrong. Also, Innis Gaines is the best defensive player in the area this year. Silsbee also has a rb in Adonis Thomas rush for 1,250 yards and two strong WRS who caught over 2000 yards. Silsbee offense was on another level this year. This was the top award in sets that the top players didn't win. 

2 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Thomas had a better individual season over Dallas no matter how you wanna trick ur mind spin it. For a kid to score 71tds, 5100 total yards, go 4 rounds deep and not win the WRS award is a travesty. Most of you seem to look at WOS team and vote. If this award is for the single best individual football player on the offensive side of the ball then Dontre Thomas was your guy and you voters got it wrong. Also, Innis Gaines is the best defensive player in the area this year. Silsbee also has a rb in Adonis Thomas rush for 1,250 yards and two strong WRS who caught over 2000 yards. Silsbee offense was on another level this year. This was the top award in sets that the top players didn't win.

All that offense  and it still wasn't enough......

7 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Coaching probably keeps WB from their full potential...

You may be right.  

And like I said, I would have voted for Dontre.  But no one can act like a voter is an idiot for voting for Jack.  Both had amazing seasons. 

Interestingly, the reason I would have voted for Thomas was due to his unbelievable numbers. But those making that argument are somewhat hypocritical to criticize Tims winning.  Like ccs said, he might have led the state in tackles.  Which is why I would have had to vote for him as well...