2016 CFB Longhorns

UTfanatic

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's not really a spin. Texas has 14 kids committed, all four teams above them have at least 19 kids committed. Baylor and UH have 20 kids committed. I think Charlie's take on recruiting is that he puts more emphasis on senior year evaluations than the Spring evaluations that take place during a recruit's junior year. I'm sure it's not the most comfortable way to go about it from a fan's perspective but you're also going to get a lot less non-contributors in a class that way too. A Kyle Porter or Daruis Anderson combined with Brandon Jones would move Texas about 15 spots as the 247 team rankings sit now. Texas would probably add 4-7 more kids on top of two of those for a total of 20-23, so I think Charlie is in good shape recruiting wise. That's with no big time flips either way.

I agree with that.  It's a tough business now with Twitter and all of the look at me kids.  Kids these days feel disrespected if you aren't recruiting them in 9th grade.  I'm just glad my business doesn't depend on the decisions of 17 yr old kids that have been coddled their whole lives.  

15 minutes ago, OldTimer said:

Talking recruiting here - that was all.

If you really think that Texas's only problem was at QB - you did not watch the same team play last year that I did - Texas has several holes to fill.  And I still think it is quite likely that A&M will still have more consistent QB play than Texas in 2016.  

And also if you believe that the SEC is not a draw for young athletes at this time you do not read the comments that consistently state that the desire to play in the SEC is a motivating factor is what school that they will attend.  I also disagree with the statement that "the wheels will fall off" A&M recruiting when Sumlin leaves - don't think so as the new updated facilities and the SEC will still be able to draw some top flight athletes to the program.

Love the fact that Texas (5-7) is "just a QB" away from being a playoff contender with their schedule (has to be a shot at how weak you expect the Big 12 to be as Notre Dame is a tough opener and Cal beat you last year) - also this the same Texas that lost to Iowa State 24-0 with the same players that - in your words - are a playoff contender.  Actually think that Baylor, Oklahoma Texas Tech and TCU might just have a little disagreement with that statement.  Just glad that Texas fans are again talking NC for the Horns.

I watched the exact same team you did. Those holes you speak of I chalk up to youth. Going 5-7 with that youth is a result of playing Cal and Notre Dame in the non-conference instead of Western Carolina and Ball State. When I watched Texas play I saw a one point loss to Cal on a missed XP, I saw a three point loss to OK St. on a freshman special teams error and a defensive lapse against Tech that caused another three point loss.

Where are the holes at? With the freshman in the secondary against Goff and his NFL receivers and Mahomes who will also play in the NFL. Boyd, Bonney and Davis will all play in the NFL, they just looked like freshman this year. Malik Jefferson is on a Khalil Mack type trajectory but was just a freshman. Connor Williams and Patrick Vahe are probably grade the highest of any linemen at the Texas programs. Foreman and Warren both had 200 yard games this season and will be back in tandem again next year. Texas has struggled on the defensive line as of late but other than qb you can't pick any unit and Texas and say "this one is definitely better than what UT has." The same way Ohio St. was able to go from 6 wins to 0 losses in one year in a weaker Big 10 at the time because of Braxton Miller's consistency, Texas can do the same thing if they get a consistent trigger man.

As far as the SEC draw and the facilities, nobody in the entire SEC puts more emphasis on that than Aggies. With the talent in this state A&M would have recruiting classes that rival Alabama's every year if it was that important. The truth is, being able to get a fade before the game isn't going to push A&M over the top after kids experience places like Baton Rouge or Gainsville. 

It is what it is. Texas plays in a conference where a team like TCU can win four games, then make the right hire to work with the qb and go 12-1 the next season. A&M chose to go to a conference where they're relegated to cheering for other teams and turning into a basketball school. You say Texas lost to Iowa State with the kids I said were playoff caliber, but you failed to mention those same kids beat an actual playoff team a couple of games earlier.

I didn't say anything about a national championship but yeah, I absolutely believe with the qb turnover you have from the top teams in the conference and the NFL players that will be lost on defense that Texas can be a one or two loss team next year and in contention towards the end of the season.    

Some are saying now that this may not be true

@TriDaileyCoach Just read Eric Cuffee got sent home from Arkansas OV because he was recruiting for sips....he will fit right in there at the 40

@ncaableachers Arkansas pulls Eric Cuffee's offer while on official visit – reportedly recruiting for the Texas Longhorns while t…

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

Some are saying now that this may not be true

@TriDaileyCoach Just read Eric Cuffee got sent home from Arkansas OV because he was recruiting for sips....he will fit right in there at the 40

@ncaableachers Arkansas pulls Eric Cuffee's offer while on official visit – reportedly recruiting for the Texas Longhorns while t…

Glad to see someone excited and recruiting others to share it with. 

hookem

On 1/20/2016 at 1:48 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

I watched the exact same team you did. Those holes you speak of I chalk up to youth. Going 5-7 with that youth is a result of playing Cal and Notre Dame in the non-conference instead of Western Carolina and Ball State. When I watched Texas play I saw a one point loss to Cal on a missed XP, I saw a three point loss to OK St. on a freshman special teams error and a defensive lapse against Tech that caused another three point loss.

Where are the holes at? With the freshman in the secondary against Goff and his NFL receivers and Mahomes who will also play in the NFL. Boyd, Bonney and Davis will all play in the NFL, they just looked like freshman this year. Malik Jefferson is on a Khalil Mack type trajectory but was just a freshman. Connor Williams and Patrick Vahe are probably grade the highest of any linemen at the Texas programs. Foreman and Warren both had 200 yard games this season and will be back in tandem again next year. Texas has struggled on the defensive line as of late but other than qb you can't pick any unit and Texas and say "this one is definitely better than what UT has." The same way Ohio St. was able to go from 6 wins to 0 losses in one year in a weaker Big 10 at the time because of Braxton Miller's consistency, Texas can do the same thing if they get a consistent trigger man.

As far as the SEC draw and the facilities, nobody in the entire SEC puts more emphasis on that than Aggies. With the talent in this state A&M would have recruiting classes that rival Alabama's every year if it was that important. The truth is, being able to get a fade before the game isn't going to push A&M over the top after kids experience places like Baton Rouge or Gainsville. 

It is what it is. Texas plays in a conference where a team like TCU can win four games, then make the right hire to work with the qb and go 12-1 the next season. A&M chose to go to a conference where they're relegated to cheering for other teams and turning into a basketball school. You say Texas lost to Iowa State with the kids I said were playoff caliber, but you failed to mention those same kids beat an actual playoff team a couple of games earlier.

I didn't say anything about a national championship but yeah, I absolutely believe with the qb turnover you have from the top teams in the conference and the NFL players that will be lost on defense that Texas can be a one or two loss team next year and in contention towards the end of the season.    

We all could be but dont mean its going to happen.

"I didn't say anything about a national championship "

Did not respond earlier to this cause had to bite my tongue - But actually you did indirectly as you stated in your response " Texas is a qb away from being a playoff contender"

As the playoff now is the final 4 teams in the hunt for the NC in effect you did mention the possibility of a Texas NC.

Texas and A&M both have a lot to prove to their fans in the next few years - will be interesting who will show up first.  Will love the banter on this site regardless of which team that happens to be. :)

On January 22, 2016 at 4:59 AM, bulldogbacker said:

More help coming?

McCulloch to Texas is pretty much a done deal. This is from Looch

That's not exactly what happened. Was he going to Texas and the Aggies knew it? Yes. However, they still would have taken their last shot at the head coach being in-house. However, when Sumlin, Chavis and the A&M coaches got word that McCulloch was attempting to sway a high-profile player or two to flip to Texas while on the Aggie campus last weekend, the in-house was never taking place. It was simply going to be a parting of ways at the school and the coaches that have recruited him and treated him well for nearly two years letting them know that they were aware of his actions.

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

McCulloch to Texas is pretty much a done deal. This is from Looch

That's not exactly what happened. Was he going to Texas and the Aggies knew it? Yes. However, they still would have taken their last shot at the head coach being in-house. However, when Sumlin, Chavis and the A&M coaches got word that McCulloch was attempting to sway a high-profile player or two to flip to Texas while on the Aggie campus last weekend, the in-house was never taking place. It was simply going to be a parting of ways at the school and the coaches that have recruited him and treated him well for nearly two years letting them know that they were aware of his actions.

Treated him well for two yrs. 

what does that mean?

surely no improprieties or copter rides!

smh

hookem