2016 CFB Longhorns

UTfanatic

10 minutes ago, OldTimer said:

Fact is if Texas cannot beat Texas A&M this year in the recruiting wars then Texas fans need to really look at what is happening to their university's football program;

1. Texas A&M again ended the season with 2 bad losses;

2. A&M lost 2 QB's to transfer and the reason why still has not been really talked about or determined;

3. OC change - and with Mazzone the jury is still out;

4. Sumlin's job status is not exactly rock solid and I am sure that is being used against him on the recruiting trails.

A&M has more off field issues than Texas does at this time.

Fact is right now is the time for anti Ags to pour it on as A&M is having some growing pains they are having to deal with.

But as Texas fans state - they don't want to be an Aggie don't let the door hit them on the butt as they leave.

Hope all HS recruits go where they will be the happiest.  

Some kids will continue to buy in to the "SEC" sales pitch as long as UT is struggling to win games. When UT starts to win on the field, the recruiting will come too. The tide is turning as it stands now.

1 hour ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

LOL..  Man where have the times when when both UT and Neb had great Qb's.

As long as I could remember, Texas always had good qb's(and then came Vince, then Colt) and Nebraska always ran the ball and had a fullback. 

So much for the good old days. 

51 minutes ago, OldTimer said:

Fact is if Texas cannot beat Texas A&M this year in the recruiting wars then Texas fans need to really look at what is happening to their university's football program;

2. A&M lost 2 QB's to transfer and the reason why still has not been really talked about or determined;

4. Sumlin's job status is not exactly rock solid and I am sure that is being used against him on the recruiting trails.

Fact is right now is the time for anti Ags to pour it on as A&M is having some growing pains they are having to deal with.

But as Texas fans state - they don't want to be an Aggie don't let the door hit them on the butt as they leave.

This thread is about Texas. 

Aggies have their own thread. 

smh

ykb

42 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

Some kids will continue to buy in to the "SEC" sales pitch as long as UT is struggling to win games. When UT starts to win on the field, the recruiting will come too. The tide is turning as it stands now.

I want a kid who wants to be a Longhorn. 

Funny how other schools recruiting only picks up, when the folks in Austin aren't doing their job. 

The tide always turns. 

Btw

what is a "Crimson Tide" and what does it have to do with an elephant??

4 minutes ago, Whoopi Goldberg's Lips said:

Why in the world do you put Williams and Vahe on the same side of the line when the other side is so unproven?  And big Perk at C?  I don't know about that...me thinks Shack will have something to say about that.

We will what Mattox does with them. 

Some lb help

This is the hidden content, please

5 hours ago, OldTimer said:

It's probably the other way around in that if A&M can't hold Texas off recruiting wise then they're probably the ones in trouble. When you evaluate recruiting classes you can't really say "my class was ranked higher so it's better." You have to look at player average, which A&M is only tenths of a point up on Texas in since Charlie has been there.

For instance, Texas average player committed in the '16 class is 87.91, even though A&M's class is ranked 13 spots higher right now their average player is only 88.56. Meaning the difference in the players that will actually see the field is fractional, which as TCU shows, can be made up by coaching. The only real difference in the recruiting classes since Charlie has been there is the 5 stars Sumlin was able to go out of state and get like Allen, Kirk and Noil.

I think when Texas fans look at the program they see they're probably only a consistent qb away from being where they should be. A&M is a Sumlin exit from the wheels falling off recruiting wise. Aggie fans think that the SEC gets them recruits but it's really Sumlin and the lax environment. If a Dan Mullen or Bret Beilema took over A&M would be Arky or Miss St. and get the same level recruits those schools do.

So in the end A&M is probably a Jake Hubanek start from being a joke with the schedule they have next year and Texas is a qb away from being a playoff contender with their schedule.    

41 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's probably the other way around in that if A&M can't hold Texas off recruiting wise then they're probably the ones in trouble. When you evaluate recruiting classes you can't really say "my class was ranked higher so it's better." You have to look at player average, which A&M is only tenths of a point up on Texas in since Charlie has been there.

For instance, Texas average player committed in the '16 class is 87.91, even though A&M's class is ranked 13 spots higher right now their average player is only 88.56. Meaning the difference in the players that will actually see the field is fractional, which as TCU shows, can be made up by coaching. The only real difference in the recruiting classes since Charlie has been there is the 5 stars Sumlin was able to go out of state and get like Allen, Kirk and Noil.

I think when Texas fans look at the program they see they're probably only a consistent qb away from being where they should be. A&M is a Sumlin exit from the wheels falling off recruiting wise. Aggie fans think that the SEC gets them recruits but it's really Sumlin and the lax environment. If a Dan Mullen or Bret Beilema took over A&M would be Arky or Miss St. and get the same level recruits those schools do.

So in the end A&M is probably a Jake Hubanek start from being a joke with the schedule they have next year and Texas is a qb away from being a playoff contender with their schedule.    

Careful

you might get moderated making posts like that. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Too much logic in this post.

Love the spin.  You must pay Fat Ketch each month to spin like that.

No matter what spin you want to believe, Charlie's team is currently ranked 5th in the State of Texas recruiting behind Baylor, A&M, TCU, and Houston respectively.  That's not good for the supposed flagship school in the state.  That could all change in the next few weeks with a couple of big commits so we will have to wait and see.  

4 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

No matter what spin you want to believe, Charlie's team is currently ranked 5th in the State of Texas recruiting behind Baylor, A&M, TCU, and Houston respectively.  That's not good for the supposed flagship school in the state.  That could all change in the next few weeks with a couple of big commits so we will have to wait and see.  

We are the flagship university because we are The University of Texas. 

It has nothing to do with sports. 

16 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Talking recruiting here - that was all.

If you really think that Texas's only problem was at QB - you did not watch the same team play last year that I did - Texas has several holes to fill.  And I still think it is quite likely that A&M will still have more consistent QB play than Texas in 2016.  

And also if you believe that the SEC is not a draw for young athletes at this time you do not read the comments that consistently state that the desire to play in the SEC is a motivating factor is what school that they will attend.  I also disagree with the statement that "the wheels will fall off" A&M recruiting when Sumlin leaves - don't think so as the new updated facilities and the SEC will still be able to draw some top flight athletes to the program.

Love the fact that Texas (5-7) is "just a QB" away from being a playoff contender with their schedule (has to be a shot at how weak you expect the Big 12 to be as Notre Dame is a tough opener and Cal beat you last year) - also this the same Texas that lost to Iowa State 24-0 with the same players that - in your words - are a playoff contender.  Actually think that Baylor, Oklahoma Texas Tech and TCU might just have a little disagreement with that statement.  Just glad that Texas fans are again talking NC for the Horns.

14 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

It's not really a spin. Texas has 14 kids committed, all four teams above them have at least 19 kids committed. Baylor and UH have 20 kids committed. I think Charlie's take on recruiting is that he puts more emphasis on senior year evaluations than the Spring evaluations that take place during a recruit's junior year. I'm sure it's not the most comfortable way to go about it from a fan's perspective but you're also going to get a lot less non-contributors in a class that way too. A Kyle Porter or Daruis Anderson combined with Brandon Jones would move Texas about 15 spots as the 247 team rankings sit now. Texas would probably add 4-7 more kids on top of two of those for a total of 20-23, so I think Charlie is in good shape recruiting wise. That's with no big time flips either way.