Brock

no-look

Isn't  this just their second year of varsity football? And didn't they win a couple playoff games last year? It seems that they win state every other year in basketball. How do they do that?  I believe Canadian won state last year in both sports also and this year in FB. Is it a mind set,coaching or athletes or all?  Most schools that start up a football program suffers for a few years and most never get to state. Someone enlighten me how this is done so quickly. Lol

Isn't  this just their second year of varsity football? And didn't they win a couple playoff games last year? It seems that they win state every other year in basketball. How do they do that?  I believe Canadian won state last year in both sports also and this year in FB. Is it a mind set,coaching or athletes or all?  Most schools that start up a football program suffers for a few years and most never get to state. Someone enlighten me how this is done so quickly. Lol

When these seniors were in the 8th grade Brock started their football program.  They started with only a 7th and 8th grade, then added the 9th grade the next year and 10th the year after that....When re-alignment came for the 14-15 football seasons they had a varsity schedule....The kids have only known one system and one coach....Yes they have won multiple state titles in other sports, both boys and girls, so there may be something in the water.... Congratulations to Brock.

If traion smith from Yoe doesn't get hurt Brock has no state title, sorry but it's true!

I will agree with that, but "IF" Tony Romo wasn't hurt, the Cowboys would be going to playoffs. "IF" Pete Rose didn't bet on baseball, he would be in the Hall of fame. "IF" Nelson Cruz would've caught that fly ball, the Rangers would've won the World Series that year. Get my drift?

A large part has to do with coaching, and an expectation to win! Each team plays with a different swagger than teams from this area. Teams around here (with the exception of WOS and Newton) have this mind set that aren't going to make it past the 3rd round, and it shows in the results. Until this mindset is brought into SETX, FW and surrouding areas are going to keep whipping our arse.

A large part has to do with coaching, and an expectation to win! Each team plays with a different swagger than teams from this area. Teams around here (with the exception of WOS and Newton) have this mind set that aren't going to make it past the 3rd round, and it shows in the results. Until this mindset is brought into SETX, FW and surrouding areas are going to keep whipping our arse.

How do you figure that teams in this area have a different mindset when it comes to winning, success, and expectations?

How do you expect this mindset to be "brought to this area"?

What do you think?... That the local coaches get together and all plan to never make it past the third round? And from this meeting, they tell their players to have low expectations?

The coaches in this area want to win a state title just like all coaches do and they train their players to match this mentality. Also, there are assistant and head coaches in this area from all over Texas. Many of these coaches are from successful programs. Do you think they left these programs, came to setx, and lowered their expectation of success?

There are legitimate reasons that setx does not have as much success as other areas do on a yearly basis. But, your assumption for the lack of success is not one of them.

It's pretty simple, but folks don't want to admit it.  We are simple communities in this area.  In the DFW and Austin areas, even Katy, there are population booms, schools being built and talent being concentrated and recruited,.some even work a couple of years in lower divisions by way of the 2 year realignment.  This IS the reason, it has very little to do with expectations.

Brock probably loses to Yoe if Smith doesn't get hurt. He crossed the 3k yard rushing mark before he went out and was by far the best player on the field. 

You really don't have to struggle as a young program. GR won state in only their 4th varsity year, Lake Ridge was in the title game in only their 4th varsity year. Lone Star is only in their 6th year and made the title game.

Those teams all have very good players on them though, and not the "he's a better high school player than him" type players either. You have to have players to win, for the most part SETX has become devoid of those when being compared to other areas of the state. 

In the larger classifications, most of the SET area cities do not have 5 or 6 same class high school that the best players all wind up at the high school to make it a better team. That's the reason the lower classification do better in SET area. These school are dealt what they have and develop

In the larger classifications, most of the SET area cities do not have 5 or 6 same class high school that the best players all wind up at the high school to make it a better team. That's the reason the lower classification do better in SET area. These school are dealt what they have and develop

SETX does well in the smaller classes because you only need one or two players to have a legitimate team, especially 3A and down. When you move up to a school 5 times the size you need 5 times the players, which is why SETX struggles the larger classes. When the big school teams get to the area round they're often dwarfed by the talent level they face.

Frisco ISD has 7 or 8 high schools, if you look at the recruiting in Frisco you'll see they have players spread out all over the district. Lone Star just has Jason Shelly. I think Mansfield has 5 high schools, if you follow recruiting there you'll see that they too have talent spread out all over the district. Lake Ridge just had Jett Duffy, who happened to be the DCTF state player of the year. People down here still think you can win with heart and determination, but in the playoffs when most things are equal you better have the players to push over the top.

SETX does well in the smaller classes because you only need one or two players to have a legitimate team, especially 3A and down. When you move up to a school 5 times the size you need 5 times the players, which is why SETX struggles the larger classes. When the big school teams get to the area round they're often dwarfed by the talent level they face.

Frisco ISD has 7 or 8 high schools, if you look at the recruiting in Frisco you'll see they have players spread out all over the district. Lone Star just has Jason Shelly. I think Mansfield has 5 high schools, if you follow recruiting there you'll see that they too have talent spread out all over the district. Lake Ridge just had Jett Duffy, who happened to be the DCTF state player of the year. People down here still think you can win with heart and determination, but in the playoffs when most things are equal you better have the players to push over the top.

Serious question: What success has SE Texas had at the 3a level and down in the state? Not much according to my knowledge.

Especially considering Newton is East Texas which is debatable by some.

Serious question: What success has SE Texas had at the 3a level and down in the state? Not much according to my knowledge.

Especially considering Newton is East Texas which is debatable by some.

I agree with you exactly, I would probably throw Kirbyville in there just to be inclusive though. There's also a lot of people who think winning a district championship is an accomplishment down here. The 3A team I follow is East Bernard who actually has had some success.

Agreed. EC wants to be crowned a state wide threat, but they are a local threat. Taking nothing away from the many district championships and 20 some odd consecutive playoff appearances, but that does nothing when you are beating up on Hardin, Anahuac and Buna over the years. Side note: EC is in a rebuilding stage which started as soon as football season ended. Look for things to change going forward with this program. Coaching has kept them southeast Texas relevant, but the playing field just got a lot more leveled out recently. I believe more will be understood once this realignment comes out on Feb. 1, 2016. Things are certainly going to be exciting from here out.

Guest ECBucFan

Agreed. EC wants to be crowned a state wide threat, but they are a local threat. Taking nothing away from the many district championships and 20 some odd consecutive playoff appearances, but that does nothing when you are beating up on Hardin, Anahuac and Buna over the years.

Not just "Hardin, Anahuac and Buna"... EC beat Newton back to back for District Championships after they dropped down into 3A, but before that happened many thought it was impossible.  

Yes, I know, thats meaningless to the eternal critics of EC. But thats OK. We love our Bucs! 

Not just "Hardin, Anahuac and Buna"... EC beat Newton back to back for District Championships after they dropped down into 3A, but before that happened many thought it was impossible.  

Yes, I know, thats meaningless to the eternal critics of EC. But thats OK. We love our Bucs! 

true, I was one of those ppl.