area is behind smh

pakronos

with Crosby bowing out, can we all agree that coaching in this part is substandard and in the dark ages?? i'm hoping for a change at PAM, but this is ridiculous. I know Crosby fans can be ridiculous at  times, but  that is a strong talented team. WE HAVE GREAT PLAYERS IN THIS AREA!! just not the right people to put them in the right places. i'm not saying someone should win state every year, but should be semi finals every year or every other. no disrespect to the small schools, but 6a/5a is who i'm speaking of.

Setx can't compete with the big area schools yes they have talent at certain schools every now and then some schools in the area get far in the playoffs but that's about it you can't blame coaching for everything you have to play with what you got just my opinion

Amen....Im sure theres better, but alot more worse....Be careful what you wish for.

Setx can't compete with the big area schools yes they have talent at certain schools every now and then some schools in the area get far in the playoffs but that's about it you can't blame coaching for everything you have to play with what you got just my opinion

It is about coaching. 

It has everything to do with coaching. Granted you have to have some talent on your team. A good coach will take what he has and make them succesful. Jerry Stewart was one of those coaches. He took what he had and did something with them. He got Dayton on the high school football map. 

Here is a chron.com article from 2007. Fan base was booming then too.

This is the hidden content, please

Facilities, training, money all contribute to area teams struggling, especially at the 6a/5a level. This area is 20 years behind the times on all the above. Just take a trip about 5 hours northwest of here; or you can take a trip bout 4-5 hours due north of here. Do that and you'll see what I'm talking about. Majority of the schools up that way have college type facilities(indoor, weight room, etc.)

Ok I guess we all have to accept that there is no talent on the east side and coaching is just fine. To many athletes everywhere but here. GR was just a freakin monster. Just a question though. How many students did the ole SandCrabs have and how many of those kids are D1 prospects.  GR beat then by 1 just 2 weeks ago. Oh yeah how come Angleton looked so beatable early on and now they are world beaters. I know they had injuries but dang it sure seems like those kids have steadily improved. I remember a time when Dayton was very beatable early on but come week 10 no body wanted any part of them.

Edited by bronco pride

Coaching plays a part in it, that is fact. We won't compete with the bigger districts year in and year out. You have to have the right combination of players, the right coaches, and some luck. There are great teams all over that didn't win state. The areas that are growing by leaps and bounds are doin well these days. New school opens and semi like they get pick of the litter. Setx is not growing at all. Actually it seems to be getting smaller. It is gonna take a special group and the right ingredients to win it all. That does not happen very often 

Wos has one of the best coaches in the state, and we usually have some pretty good talent. One of the key factors to a sc is luck.I've seen us lose a lot of games that we should not have,along with some wins I didn't think we would. A loss imo at this level can't be blamed on any certain factor, unless it's blatant...

Calhouns last 3 games were against Angleton GR and RP all 3 teams everyone is raving about. High enrollment talent and yet Calhoun played all 3 tough. Largest defeat was 8pts to Angleton. Calhoun doesn't have any of the things that a lot of people think you need to compete. Notice I said compete. I don't expect any team to win state every year cause like what was mentioned it takes a little luck and bounces to go your way. I'm saying why is it that a team like Calhoun can compete with these so called monsters and we can't. Ok just looked Calhouns enrollment in 2012 was 1223.

Edited by bronco pride

This topic has been talked about for many times in many different forums. It comes down to money for ONE thing. Most of the coaches that win year end and year out state have very little teaching duties and focus on coaching, recruiting, and keeping their staff. MONEY. Setx just does not have the money to pay 6 figures to coach's just to coach. Taking the students out of the talk, I AM NOT blaming coaches but to get and keep good coaches you have to PAY good coaches. 

This topic has been talked about for many times in many different forums. It comes down to money for ONE thing. Most of the coaches that win year end and year out state have very little teaching duties and focus on coaching, recruiting, and keeping their staff. MONEY. Setx just does not have the money to pay 6 figures to coach's just to coach. Taking the students out of the talk, I AM NOT blaming coaches but to get and keep good coaches you have to PAY good coaches. 

Agreed. When Dayton had one of the highest paid coaches in the state (worth every penny I might add) Dayton was a perennial powerhouse. Notice I considered Dayton a powerhouse even without a title because they were consistently very good. In 2005 Jerry Stewarts salary put him in the top 31 coaches salaries out of all the 4 and 5a coaches state wide.

Edited by bronco pride

+10,000. Offensive and defensive coordinators in the DFW area never set foot in a classroom. Those are known as "coach friendly" school districts. Think those guys up there have a little advantage over some guy that's teaching 5 periods of U.S History?