area is behind smh

pakronos

When coaches do not teach and coach and focus on coaching, better programs are created and maintained. Believe me coaches recruit in high school just like college. Goes on everywhere. MONEY talks volumes. Yes, SETX can compete year end and year out but win state and get their year end and year out, no. WOS, Newton and others get far but still every year the Dallas area will and ISD's that just pay coaches to coach will continue to win state titles. I would like to know how much KATY pays their coaches and if they teach any classes or just coach mostyly

+10,000. Offensive and defensive coordinators in the DFW area never set foot in a classroom. Those are known as "coach friendly" school districts. Think those guys up there have a little advantage over some guy that's teaching 5 periods of U.S History?

That is not true at all. Only ADs or CDs don't teach. Every other coach has to teach in Texas. That is state law. I believe it is half of the day they must be teaching, but no where in Texas does the Offensive or Defensive Coordinator not teach some sort of class.

That is not true at all. Only ADs or CDs don't teach. Every other coach has to teach in Texas. That is state law. I believe it is half of the day they must be teaching, but no where in Texas does the Offensive or Defensive Coordinator not teach some sort of class.

How much you want to bet??? I knew a DC in the dfw area that was head of grounds maintenance...he got teacher salary for it. Had 2 classes and 4 kids in each class. They did garden work around the school in those 2 classes. Knew another one that teaching job was to drive kids to their job 3rd and 4th period. Yes they were teaching, but it wasn't 6 biology classes with 27 kids in each class.

Edited by Uncle Pig

where do you get this coaches have to teach?  Seriously, PA Memorial has coaches that are Hall Monitors and PNG had Riley Burnette that only coached 1/2 a day and drew retirement.

How much you want to bet??? I knew a DC in the dfw area that was head of grounds maintenance...he got teacher salary for it. Had 2 classes and 4 kids in each class. They did garden work around the school in those 2 classes. Knew another one that teaching job was to drive kids to their job 3rd and 4th period. Yes they were teaching, but it wasn't 6 biology classes with 27 kids in each class.

Most coaches in Aldine teach Special Ed Life skills or Inclusion. If they have only 4 students in a classroom more than likely it is a SE class. Then there are others that Teach P.E. I can only speak for district where I have worked before, but coaches usually teach in some fashion. 

That happens everywhere in the state. I misunderstood what you meant. I was thinking you were making it similar to Colorado where the coaches do nothing but coach. Yes in Texas this sort of work happens, but it is everywhere. In the good academic schools though, like Allen and Aledo, all of the coaches still teach 3 or 4 periods a day. Like I said I misunderstood. In Texas they have to be working and if classified as a teacher must be teaching at least half the day. I believe Hardin-Jefferson girls soccer went to state with the coach as the janitor. Our janitor was the tennis coach. They are still employed which means they are eligible. It is not like other states where they show up coach and that is it.

That happens everywhere in the state. I misunderstood what you meant. I was thinking you were making it similar to Colorado where the coaches do nothing but coach. Yes in Texas this sort of work happens, but it is everywhere. In the good academic schools though, like Allen and Aledo, all of the coaches still teach 3 or 4 periods a day. Like I said I misunderstood. In Texas they have to be working and if classified as a teacher must be teaching at least half the day. I believe Hardin-Jefferson girls soccer went to state with the coach as the janitor. Our janitor was the tennis coach. They are still employed which means they are eligible. It is not like other states where they show up coach and that is it.

yeah i thought that full time employees of the school were elgible to coach....we had an assistant softball coach that was the maintenance man a few years back

One thing nobody else has mentioned, take a look at teacher pay around the state. Typically school districts around the major cities are going to pay more than those out in the boondocks. If you are really good at your job, don't you want to go work in places that will pay you 10-15k more for doing the same thing? 

I do not put it on the coaches at all for why setx is lagging behind other areas. It takes a village to build a football program. That means kids from stable homes that can handle adversity and overcome it. Kid's whose parents don't make doctors appointments during practice, who don't take family vacations during football season, who don't tell their son at the dinner table that his coach is an idiot and he doesn't have to listen to him. Families who make sure their kids do their homework and keep their grades up, kids who eat decent meals every night, kids who don't have to take care of their younger siblings all night and all summer because their mother has to work two jobs because their dad is long gone...the list goes on forever. There are a ton of great athletes in HISD as well, but those teams are seldom competitive, those kids just can't overcome a negative home life enough to provide the level of commitment it takes to have a great football team.

Look at the teams that are left playing in 5A/6A and I bet you'll find that those towns/cities are the type of places where

1) there are several college level athletes

2) they are communities where most of the student body will be high middle to upper class economically

Yes talent is key, but PNG has made it pretty far in the playoffs in the past without a lot of talent. Defense has always been our best way to get deep, but that hasn't been focused on in years. Coaching philosophy comes into play when talent is short. You can only get so far by out scoring your opponents. You have to be able to stop them or at least slow them down to have a chance. At some point in time some on will out score you.

One thing nobody else has mentioned, take a look at teacher pay around the state. Typically school districts around the major cities are going to pay more than those out in the boondocks. If you are really good at your job, don't you want to go work in places that will pay you 10-15k more for doing the same thing? 

I do not put it on the coaches at all for why setx is lagging behind other areas. It takes a village to build a football program. That means kids from stable homes that can handle adversity and overcome it. Kid's whose parents don't make doctors appointments during practice, who don't take family vacations during football season, who don't tell their son at the dinner table that his coach is an idiot and he doesn't have to listen to him. Families who make sure their kids do their homework and keep their grades up, kids who eat decent meals every night, kids who don't have to take care of their younger siblings all night and all summer because their mother has to work two jobs because their dad is long gone...the list goes on forever. There are a ton of great athletes in HISD as well, but those teams are seldom competitive, those kids just can't overcome a negative home life enough to provide the level of commitment it takes to have a great football team.

Look at the teams that are left playing in 5A/6A and I bet you'll find that those towns/cities are the type of places where

1) there are several college level athletes

2) they are communities where most of the student body will be high 

True

Edited by TradenupBH

okay guys, i hear alot of excuses. i'll use my team for the PERFECT example. since it's opening, PAM has produced many D1 prospects and even a couple of NFL players. BRAND NEW FACILITIES!!! probably the best field house in the area. PAM have the luxury of getting ALL middle school talent and a chance to implement it's program on the lower levels, since all the coaches work together. IMO, there was NO REASON FOR PAM TO FINISH 1ST OR 2ND IN DISTRICT!!! there is no reason for the great defensive players of PAM history, to have a defense EVERY YEAR THAT GET TRUCKED FOR 200 YARDS ON THE GROUND!!! i know we are not coaches. but J.C., if it's obvious to us i know it's obvious to other teams that you will just hand it off to the RB because your son can't run or he looks at one WR. i'm not saying PAM should be at state every year. i'm saying as a fan, 5th or better and 4th rd on a rebuilding year! right now, do fundraisers to send our offensive lineman to a camp!! if you know they are lacking in experience DO SOMETHING!! yeah, it does fall on the kids to WANT IT, but as a coach, you got to motivate them!! coaches should go to some colleges like a&m or go see what tom at u of h is doing and maybe implement that in your program. as an area, i know everyone says there is no industry, nobody wants to live here. i get that. when i look at ALL teams in the area and see all this size, speed and strength OMG!!! it's not like we have 5'7 fat slow lineman in the area. all the talk about coaches can only do what they have to work with is something they have brain washed you with over the years. sorry bulldogs, but neumann have yall drinking the JJ kool aid too. yes, ya'll make the playoffs very consistent...2-3 rds. you guys cheer and are pretty content with that and he's thinking, welp got the boys in the playoffs, that's all that matters, the community is happy, i'm getting paid, life is good. DEMAND MORE!! i know i will demand more out of xbox this year and i'm sure alot of people will STARTING WITH THE QB SITUATION!!! i personally know a team that the fans told the coach he was not wanted and will do whatever to get him gone and he left!! they did more than once too!! i will leave WO-S out of this and to be honest with you, it's more of their district and seeding why they make it as far. VERY GOOD TEAM WITH GOOD COACHING, but be real, that district is a cupcake factory!! at the end of the day though, I STILL SAY EDUCATION IS FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT!! but as a fan of a team in the area and just looking at all teams in the area, we about 10 years behind!! hell look at the stadiums!!! you have 4 stadiums in the area with artificial playing surfaces. PAM, BMT, PN-G,and silsbee!! is lumberton turf yet? i could be missing one, but the point is look how long it took!!! for PAM it took a mud bowl to get it and i'm still teed off about the restroom at PAM(non pun intended). SAME RESTROOMS WITH ONE TROUGH AND 2 TOILETS SINCE I WAS 6 YEARS OLD!!! I'M 40 AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!

okay guys, i hear alot of excuses. i'll use my team for the PERFECT example. since it's opening, PAM has produced many D1 prospects and even a couple of NFL players. BRAND NEW FACILITIES!!! probably the best field house in the area. PAM have the luxury of getting ALL middle school talent and a chance to implement it's program on the lower levels, since all the coaches work together. IMO, there was NO REASON FOR PAM TO FINISH 1ST OR 2ND IN DISTRICT!!! there is no reason for the great defensive players of PAM history, to have a defense EVERY YEAR THAT GET TRUCKED FOR 200 YARDS ON THE GROUND!!! i know we are not coaches. but J.C., if it's obvious to us i know it's obvious to other teams that you will just hand it off to the RB because your son can't run or he looks at one WR. i'm not saying PAM should be at state every year. i'm saying as a fan, 5th or better and 4th rd on a rebuilding year! right now, do fundraisers to send our offensive lineman to a camp!! if you know they are lacking in experience DO SOMETHING!! yeah, it does fall on the kids to WANT IT, but as a coach, you got to motivate them!! coaches should go to some colleges like a&m or go see what tom at u of h is doing and maybe implement that in your program. as an area, i know everyone says there is no industry, nobody wants to live here. i get that. when i look at ALL teams in the area and see all this size, speed and strength OMG!!! it's not like we have 5'7 fat slow lineman in the area. all the talk about coaches can only do what they have to work with is something they have brain washed you with over the years. sorry bulldogs, but neumann have yall drinking the JJ kool aid too. yes, ya'll make the playoffs very consistent...2-3 rds. you guys cheer and are pretty content with that and he's thinking, welp got the boys in the playoffs, that's all that matters, the community is happy, i'm getting paid, life is good. DEMAND MORE!! i know i will demand more out of xbox this year and i'm sure alot of people will STARTING WITH THE QB SITUATION!!! i personally know a team that the fans told the coach he was not wanted and will do whatever to get him gone and he left!! they did more than once too!! i will leave WO-S out of this and to be honest with you, it's more of their district and seeding why they make it as far. VERY GOOD TEAM WITH GOOD COACHING, but be real, that district is a cupcake factory!! at the end of the day though, I STILL SAY EDUCATION IS FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT!! but as a fan of a team in the area and just looking at all teams in the area, we about 10 years behind!! hell look at the stadiums!!! you have 4 stadiums in the area with artificial playing surfaces. PAM, BMT, PN-G,and silsbee!! is lumberton turf yet? i could be missing one, but the point is look how long it took!!! for PAM it took a mud bowl to get it and i'm still teed off about the restroom at PAM(non pun intended). SAME RESTROOMS WITH ONE TROUGH AND 2 TOILETS SINCE I WAS 6 YEARS OLD!!! I'M 40 AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!

I've got a solution for you... send those kids to Neumann.  He'll use em right, work their butts off and we'll call it a Mid/South County State Championship.  Seriously, Neumann runs such a freakin brutal program, that's how he makes players out of bodies that walk in.  Not to say Nederland doesn't have good players, because they do, but they are not athletes that should be playing at the level that they play without the PROGRAM.

We can go back and forth on this all day but the fact of the matter is setx can't compete with the Houston area setx here and there might win a few against some Houston area schools but that's about it we can all.blame the coaches,the kids,the school,the parents or whoever else y'all wanna  blame that's not going to change nothing and that's fact 

i think soulja son will be a beast for silsbee!! not saying because he's my friend, but kid putting in work. with a good line and play calling, he can be a big name around the area.

He works hard and has improved almost every year on the weaker parts of his game.  He'll be putting in even more work in the off season, and I expect him to even better next year.  Thanks for noticing his talents, man.