Lumberton@Nederland

First of all, comparing the District Champion to the #4 seed is a little far fetched.... That being said, I could only Imagine how bad it must feel to go 1-29... I guess the "Us against the world" attitude might help.... As I stated before, I do think Lumberton or Lumperton, whichever you like, does create a matchup nightmare for Nederland... But at the end Nederland has better coaching and better athletes, so I think they will come up on the winning end... But I'll eat my own words, I wouldn't have predicted The Choo Choos would have won a district game, much less make the playoffs... So far that congrats.... May the best team win....

If Nederland has better coaching and better athletes, wouldn't their results against common opponents be better?  If you throw out Lee and look at the other 5 common district opponents, Lumberton is avg 31 pts to Nederland's 30.  Defensively, Lumberton is allowing an avg of 25 to Nederland's 24.  Looks pretty even to me. Maybe you mean "more" coaches and athletes.  It's hard to compare individual stats because of the drastic differences in styles this season, but if I look at how our QB and RB did against Nederland last year, their #s were pretty impressive.  Yarbro and Rhodes accounted for 6 TDs in the last matchup vs 2014 District Champion - Nederland.

Stephen Yarbro,  19/31 328 yds    3 TDs  0 INTs

Tim Rhodes

18 rushes for 120 yds - 3 TDs

6 rec. 120 yds - 1 TD

240 Total yds - 4 TDs

I could pull up #s for Caleb Thomas which were also impressive vs Nederland, but this should at least refute the idea that Nederland has better athletes.  I'll take our backfield over Nederland's.  I'll take our O-Line and Defense over Nederland's.  And I wouldn't trade our coaching staff for Nederland's staff.  In fact, the more I think about it, you are right.  Lumberton is a matchup nightmare for Nederland. But that's why we play the game.  Good luck Nederland.

Lumberton looks a lot like Vidor,  key on the RBs and make them pass.  They have had only two games with over a 100yds passing with 179 being the most vs Ozen.   Play assignment football on defense and don't let the RBs get loose.   As far as offense goes for Ned,  pound the rock with Krautz and company.  Lum defenses gives up a lot of rushing yards.

Lumberton looks a lot like Vidor,  key on the RBs and make them pass.  They have had only two games with over a 100yds passing with 179 being the most vs Ozen.   Play assignment football on defense and don't let the RBs get loose.   As far as offense goes for Ned,  pound the rock with Krautz and company.  Lum defenses gives up a lot of rushing yards.

I think we only had 120 yds passing against Ozen.  If I remember right, we ran the ball 56 times and threw it 7.  QB was 6-7 120yds 1 TD.  The other 6 TDs against Ozen were rushing or "pounding the rock".  I don't want us taking credit for 59 yds passing that we didn't actually earn. 

Edited by AthleticSupporter - Jock

If Nederland has better coaching and better athletes, wouldn't their results against common opponents be better?  If you throw out Lee and look at the other 5 common district opponents, Lumberton is avg 31 pts to Nederland's 30.  Defensively, Lumberton is allowing an avg of 25 to Nederland's 24.  Looks pretty even to me. Maybe you mean "more" coaches and athletes.  It's hard to compare individual stats because of the drastic differences in styles this season, but if I look at how our QB and RB did against Nederland last year, their #s were pretty impressive.  Yarbro and Rhodes accounted for 6 TDs in the last matchup vs 2014 District Champion - Nederland.

Tim Rhodes

6 rec. 120 yds - 1 TD

240 Total yds - 4 TDs

I could pull up #s for Caleb Thomas which were also impressive vs Nederland, but this should at least refute the idea that Nederland has better athletes.  I'll take our backfield over Nederland's.  I'll take our O-Line and Defense over Nederland's.  And I wouldn't trade our coaching staff for Nederland's staff.  In fact, the more I think about it, you are right.  Lumberton is a matchup nightmare for Nederland. But that's why we play the game.  Good luck Nederland.

I certainly understand the optimism.. After reading your post, I'll just leave it alone... I don't have a dog in the fight... 

Edited by Stattrax

A lot of teams would have beaten Ned last week. It was a very flat game. Credit to GCM on the win, they earned it. But, I feel like it had much more to do with NED struggling than it did GCM being world beaters. Senior night, in Nederland, share of the DC on the line. I don't see the Dogs coming out flat. I will take the whole body of work vs. a bad game last week and say Nederland wins a hard fought, close ballgame like they usually do. The Raiders are much improved and a formidable opponent though. If you remember, I predicted them at the end of last season to make the playoffs this season. RaiderGirl remembers...

lets assume PNG an Ned finish with a share of the crown... that's a big assumption, Lumberton is tough.  Who over achieved and who under achieved???

Ned obviously overachieved. I know for me I wasn't expecting the Dogs to win district. Tremendous job by Ned regardless of what happens Friday (or Saturday) 

Tim Rhodes

6 rec. 120 yds - 1 TD

240 Total yds - 4 TDs

I'm not going to predict the outcome, but you absolutely don't know football if you are comparing common opponents. There are so many factors goes into each game. No excuses for the  loss at GCM. We did not play well at all. I do not expect to see that this Friday. Some on this board looks at box scores on Saturday and think they know what happen in the game. We do have a proven coaching staff and the Nederland players are hard working which makes a very "team". The best team this Friday night will win, not necessarily the best, just like last week. I know it's been awhile since lumberton had anything worth talking about, but I think you maybe dreaming. Y'all had 2 winning seasons in 15 plus years, so I would be careful about gloating, prove it on the field. About last year,the scoreboard is what counts, But since you mentioned it our offense scored 64 points. By the way, I don't think anyone on this board would not #22 over any running back lumperton has. 

I'm not going to predict the outcome, but you absolutely don't know football if you are comparing common opponents. There are so many factors goes into each game. No excuses for the  loss at GCM. We did not play well at all. I do not expect to see that this Friday. Some on this board looks at box scores on Saturday and think they know what happen in the game. We do have a proven coaching staff and the Nederland players are hard working which makes a very "team". The best team this Friday night will win, not necessarily the best, just like last week. I know it's been awhile since lumberton had anything worth talking about, but I think you maybe dreaming. Y'all had 2 winning seasons in 15 plus years, so I would be careful about gloating, prove it on the field. About last year,the scoreboard is what counts, But since you mentioned it our offense scored 64 points. By the way, I don't think anyone on this board would not #22 over any running back lumperton has. 

No gloating here. I have a lot of respect for Ned players and coaches. I just believe that ours are just as good and I was attempting to show why I think that.  

If the weather is bad... Both teams have to play in it. Plenty of respect for what Ltown has accomplished, but to say your staff is as good as Ned's with not even a full season under its belt is a stretch.... Not gonna make crazy predictions nor say who has more talent, but to say that you are gonna come in our house and take a share of the DC out of our hands well..... You got it to do. 

slumberton shouldn't even be talked about with Nederland when it comes to football,,,get off the gas fumes people..

actually we have every right to be talked about with Nederland. Y'all got beat by GCM, no matter what the excuse. We held them to negative yards in the whole first half with a 22-0 lead and just coasted the second half. Y'all were in a fight with Vidor to the end, our game with Vidor was over after the first drive when Rhodes (you know that underrated running back that Krautz and everyone else in the district is better than, mainly because he plays for "slumberton") crammed it down their throat and we kept their three headed monster offense moving backwards/nowhere most the night. Once again 28-7 at half and coasted through second half.. And to everyone saying Lumberton defense has struggled against the run so Krautz will run it all down our throat, please tell me who completely ran all over our defense and beat us?? Whaley ran well and I can see why he is D1, but he didn't run over our boys like he should have. And we had a VERY GOOD chance to win that and lost in the last 6 seconds. And PNG beat us by passing and us blowing assignments. We in Lumberton will actually beg you to run the ball. That's what we like to defend..

so tell me why Lumberton shouldn't be mentioned with Nederland, or any other team in district for that matter?

I stopped reading this ridiculous post after the first 6 words. They're offenses couldn't be more different. Jeez. SMDH

I think we only had 120 yds passing against Ozen.  If I remember right, we ran the ball 56 times and threw it 7.  QB was 6-7 120yds 1 TD.  The other 6 TDs against Ozen were rushing or "pounding the rock".  I don't want us taking credit for 59 yds passing that we didn't actually earn. 

That was going off the stats in the BE.  Not saying they are correct just what they stated.

I stopped reading this ridiculous post after the first 6 words. They're offenses couldn't be more different. Jeez. SMDH

The comparison was the offenses being more run oriented vs pass oriented.  Not the the type of offense that is run.  Both Lumberton and Vidor run first pass second.

The comparison was the offenses being more run oriented vs pass oriented.  Not the the type of offense that is run.  Both Lumberton and Vidor run first pass second.

Every offense in our district is run first besides basically PNG and they aren't averse to running the ball either. Saying they look they look a lot alike based on the fact they are both run first is absurd imho.

Every offense in our district is run first besides basically PNG and they aren't averse to running the ball either. Saying they look they look a lot alike based on the fact they are both run first is absurd imho.

No, Ned is pretty even also.  You do not see a 1400 yd difference between passing and rushing for Ned and PNG that you see for Lumberton or the 1500 yd difference for Vidor.

Nederland
TEAM STATS
Total yards    First downs     Rushing yards    Yds/Att     Passing yards     Yds/Catch
2605              120                  1477                 6.05          1128                   12.53

PNG
TEAM STATS
Total yards    First downs    Rushing yards    Yds/Att     Passing yards    Yds/Catch
2653              134                  1142                    5.34      1511                    14.25

Lumberton

TEAM STATS
Total yards    First downs    Rushing yards    Yds/Att     Passing yards    Yds/Catch
2993             145                  2198                     6.35       795                     15.9

Vidor

Total yards    First downs    Rushing yards    Yds/Att    Passing yards    Yds/Catch
1756                86                 1662                   6.2         94                       9.4