Targeting or good block?

Sorry, but the rule is not helmet to helmet, the rule is whether a young man head was viciously and possibly permanently damaged.  This WAS ABSOLUTELY Targeting.  This is NOT bloodsport.  I'very known kids who spent 8 weeks in a dark room over a concussion and severe head trauman over hits like this.  We are smarter as a culture than to promote this with all of the brain injuries we know about now.  Look I played in the day when they wok your ass up with smelling salts and sent you back in... but what I know now, I will not celebrate hits like this.  You can still play physical and nasty football without hitting g the head violently when the other player is not even looking.  Outlawing g hits.like this does not make you any less of a man or weaken society, it's just smart.  Let's clean up our game.  I also don't think it should be an ejection.  Maybe a 1 qtr or half suspension, not sure it's feasible.  But for those of us who will have children playing g this great game, we Must protect their livelihood.  This is not the same as giving g all kids a trophy, this is quality of life we are talking about.

Edited by NDOMAKONG

Looks like a good hit to me. My old coach use to tell us to protect yourself at all times. I guess football is changing.

yessir it is, if you haven't paid attention you may think it's not.changing.  you may think differently if someone you lived was permanently damaged.  Good God Almighty people, we are competitors playing g a physical game, we aren't trying g to freaking mame people?

yessir it is, if you haven't paid attention you may think it's not.changing.  you may think differently if someone you lived was permanently damaged.  Good God Almighty people, we are competitors playing g a physical game, we aren't trying g to freaking mame people?

I'm just saying when I played it was a good hit. The refs throw a flag on every play now. I like old school football when Jack Lambert and LT played it was s physical game. Since the NFL has got so restrictive on hitting I don't watch it anymore. 

It's just the mentality that I've also had to overcome, have a son of.your own get targeted.to the head in a defenseless position, chasing a play.  I have lived and know that it is a physical game, this isn't about how big.your nuts are.  It's about quality of.life and brain safety, but I realize.some of the folks in our area have no clue and will continue to pound their chest.  

Yes the game is changing, but, it's necessary.  Hard to tell with certainty, but, it looked like the runner was far enough downfield that the block , or, lackthereof, wouldn't have even impacted the play.  So you have a player that sees an opportunity to lay a big hit on the opposition.  I don't blame a teenager for taking advantage of the opportunity because I would have done the same thing at that age.  BUT, this is where the education needs to begin in order to change the game for the right reasons.  It's a great game, and, anything that can be done to limit serious, or long term injuries will make it better. 

Lots of discussion about how folks played "back in the day" however, the game changes and evolves and the rules do as well.  Regardless of how you played, the targeting rule was introduced into the NCAA rule book back in 2008.  It has been a Point of Emphasis to Coaches and officials and remains such in the 2015 NCAA Rule Book.  Watch the coaches' reaction and you will see he realizes what is about to occur as he drops his arms from excitement to crud, here comes the flag. 

With that, the only information an official (or anyone else) should process when seeing this type hit is as follows:

1) Was the hit made with forcible contact with the crown of the helmet?  If yes, targeting!

2)  Was the hit made with forcible contact to the Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless player?  If yes, targeting!

In both Rule 9-1-3 & 9-1-4, the final statement sums up the attitude of not only the Rules Committee but also the officials' making the call: WHEN IN QUESTION, IT IS A FOUL....PERIOD!   Rule 2 defines a Defenseless Player.

Rule 9 - 2015 NCAA Rule Book:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet

ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Rule 2 - Definitions:

Article 14

f. A player obviously out of the play.

g. A player who receives a blind-side block.

PS-Don't get mad when one of my crew members drops that targeting flag on your team or heaven forbid, your son :)

Yes the game is changing, but, it's necessary.  Hard to tell with certainty, but, it looked like the runner was far enough downfield that the block , or, lackthereof, wouldn't have even impacted the play.  So you have a player that sees an opportunity to lay a big hit on the opposition.  I don't blame a teenager for taking advantage of the opportunity because I would have done the same thing at that age.  BUT, this is where the education needs to begin in order to change the game for the right reasons.  It's a great game, and, anything that can be done to limit serious, or long term injuries will make it better. 

At the point of contact for the block the defender is a yard or so in front of the runner so not out of the play. Also, you can see the decal on the side of the helmet so he at least had his head forward and most likely saw the blocker but the Back Judge guy looks to be looking right at it so had the best view and would know more than us watching video.

Serious question, what's the blockers move here other than block him, the guy was clearly still in the play? Get in front and slow down to shield him? Hand to the shoulder and push?

My son Leon took one like that in a scrimmage, his first game playing ILB. It was in the first scrimmage back off injury, that kid from WOS took him out. I asked him how did he feel, he said you got to have your head on a swivel pops. He said it's part of the game, if you sign to play those things happen. He said I don't think they play to hurt you for life, but at the end of the day I play to hit you it's football not kickball.

At the point of contact for the block the defender is a yard or so in front of the runner so not out of the play. Also, you can see the decal on the side of the helmet so he at least had his head forward and most likely saw the blocker but the Back Judge guy looks to be looking right at it so had the best view and would know more than us watching video.

Serious question, what's the blockers move here other than block him, the guy was clearly still in the play? Get in front and slow down to shield him? Hand to the shoulder and push?

It's a good question.  I checked out the play again a few times, and, it doesn't look like he saw the blocker (unless he caught a glimpse of him as he was flying on his back).  Looks like he's in full sprint focusing on the runner and doesn't make a defensive move as he's getting leveled. 

You can say he's still in the play, but, even though he's about a yard in front of the runner, he's also about 7 yards away in the field. Maybe he catches him, maybe not. 

I think your question is valid, and, that's what needs to be discussed. What does a blocker do in this situation?  I don't know the answer.  People like us, that love the game, just need to understand that the game has changed, at all levels.  Rules are put in place to try to prevent seriuos injuries, and, anything that can help keep a kid (or adult) from getting seriously hurt is a good thing.