Repub Debates

Mr. Buddy Garrity

Smitty,  you often bring up "low information voters". Don't you think that anyone voting for Trump would fit into this category? 

Actually, on the contrary.  Trump has tapped into an anger that people realize we have strayed way beyond the Constitution.  And they are showing that anger through him.  So, no, I would say these are NOT "Low Information Voters".  BTW:  This is the same reason Cruz is gaining in the polls...

Edited by smitty

Actually, on the contrary.  Trump has tapped into an anger that people realize we have strayed way beyond the Constitution.  And they are showing that anger through him.  So, no, I would say these are NOT "Low Information Voters".  BTW:  This is the same reason Cruz is gaining in the polls...

Exactly right...low information voters would simply call him goofy and never hear the message.

Exactly right...low information voters would simply call him goofy and never hear the message.

What message?

No, seriously. What message? So far, Donald Trump's message has been that Megyn Kelly's a mean reporter dealing with the bad time of the month and we need to make Mexico pay for a wall to keep Mexicans out.

Go look at Donald Trump's website. Notice something missing? I do - it's called the "issues" section. You know, that part where candidates articulate their platforms? Yeah, Donald Trump doesn't have one.

But, I try to be thorough and diligent when I research candidates, so I watched the debate last week, thinking (perhaps naively) that he might articulate his positions there. And what did I get for my trouble? "The moderators are being mean to me." At least he doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a whiner; he publicly acknowledged that much in a phone interview I listened to today.

In another attempt to be thorough, I scoured the internet for policy positions. Didn't find a single one. I even went out of my way to contact the Trump campaign and ask for a list of positions or a platform summary or at least a statement giving me some idea where he stands on the issues. You know what I got in return? Neither do I, because I'm still waiting on it a week later.

So I'll ask you again: what message? I'm betting you can't actually give me an answer. Why not?

Because there is no message.

Why is there no message? Because Donald Trump is an entertainment mogul with an ego the size of Mt. Rushmore who sees this primary as nothing more than a cheap way to put his name in an infinite number of headlines and sweeten his reality TV deals. He's not actually in this because he cares about the country, he's in it because he cares about his checkbook. If any part of him actually wants to be president, it's his ego talking, but I strongly suspect that he doesn't want to be the President of the United States. He just wants the publicity, and he's going to ride that wave of tweets and primetime interviews until he loses steam, grassroots donations stop coming in and he actually has to put up some of his own money to stay in the race. When that moment comes, the return on investment takes a nosedive and it won't be worth it anymore. He'll walk away having played the system and gotten exactly what he wanted out of the deal.

The sad part is that he'll leave his supporters out to dry in the process. The most hardcore elements of the conservative base - the ones that have been claiming that Obama supporters are "low information voters" or whatever else for years - will have fallen victim to the exact same trickery that they claim everyone who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 fell for. Why? Because Trump and Obama are the exact same thing at heart: demagogues, and dam good ones at that. Don't believe me? Let's consult Dr. Google.

demagogue: noun. a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.

Oh sure, they have very different styles. Obama prefers charm and eloquence, whereas Trump is frank and bombastic. Obama likes to be relaxed, articulate and optimistic, while Trump prefers to be fiery, to speak in generalities and to remain obstinate in the face of opposition. Obama wants to appear levelheaded, while Trump likes his reputation for stubborn brashness. But at the end of the day, those two personas are two sides of the same conman's coin - their only differences exist solely because they're contrived to appeal to the two very different bases on which they feed. And in the absence of substance, both are the trademarks of - you guessed it - a conman.

I hope you enjoy losing again in 2016. Because if you keep egging your buddy Trump on, that's exactly what's going to happen to us.

Edited by PN-G bamatex

What message?

No, seriously. What message? So far, Donald Trump's message has been that Megyn Kelly's a mean reporter dealing with the bad time of the month and we need to make Mexico pay for a wall to keep Mexicans out.

Go look at Donald Trump's website. Notice something missing? I do - it's called the "issues" section. You know, that part where candidates articulate their platforms? Yeah, Donald Trump doesn't have one.

But, I try to be thorough and diligent when I research candidates, so I watched the debate last week, thinking (perhaps naively) that he might articulate his positions there. And what did I get for my trouble? "The moderators are being mean to me." At least he doesn't try to hide the fact that he's a whiner; he publicly acknowledged that much in a phone interview I listened to today.

In another attempt to be thorough, I scoured the internet for policy positions. Didn't find a single one. I even went out of my way to contact the Trump campaign and ask for a list of positions or a platform summary or at least a statement giving me some idea where he stands on the issues. You know what I got in return? Neither do I, because I'm still waiting on it a week later.

So I'll ask you again: what message? I'm betting you can't actually give me an answer. Why not?

Why is there no message? Because Donald Trump is an entertainment mogul with an ego the size of Mt. Rushmore who sees this primary as nothing more than a cheap way to put his name in an infinite number of headlines and sweeten his reality TV deals. He's not actually in this because he cares about the country, he's in it because he cares about his checkbook. If any part of him actually wants to be president, it's his ego talking, but I strongly suspect that he doesn't want to be the President of the United States. He just wants the publicity, and he's going to ride that wave of tweets and primetime interviews until he loses steam, grassroots donations stop coming in and he actually has to put up some of his own money to stay in the race. When that moment comes, the return on investment takes a nosedive and it won't be worth it anymore. He'll walk away having played the system and gotten exactly what he wanted out of the deal.

The sad part is that he'll leave his supporters out to dry in the process. The most hardcore elements of the conservative base - the ones that have been claiming that Obama supporters are "low information voters" or whatever else for years - will have fallen victim to the exact same trickery that they claim everyone who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 fell for. Why? Because Trump and Obama are the exact same thing at heart: demagogues, and dam good ones at that. Don't believe me? Let's consult Dr. Google.

Oh sure, they have very different styles. Obama prefers charm and eloquence, whereas Trump is frank and bombastic. Obama likes to be relaxed, articulate and optimistic, while Trump prefers to be fiery, to speak in generalities and to remain obstinate in the face of opposition. Obama wants to appear levelheaded, while Trump likes his reputation for stubborn brashness. But at the end of the day, those two personas are two sides of the same conman's coin - their only differences exist solely because they're contrived to appeal to the two very different bases on which they feed. And in the absence of substance, both are the trademarks of - you guessed it - a conman.

I hope you enjoy losing again in 2016. Because if you keep egging your buddy Trump on, that's exactly what's going to happen to us.

What makes you think I am egging him on...I haven't supported him in any way and know he would never win.

His message about our pathetic immigration policy and lack of enforcement and that the system is broken rings true for many.

If you think Jeb Bush or Rubio would be talking about this as much if Trump wasn't, you're wrong.

He is smply the voice of many that are sick of what is going on in Washington... granted it's an obnoxious voice.

Would I want him as President...no. 

Do I have a problem with him calling out business as usual politicians...no.

And if we push Bush out in 2016, we will lose...even if he is elected.

Edited by LumRaiderFan

Heck yea.....

Dodd-Frank is a cluster.....

It's about to get worse for real estate and mortgages starting in October when the new regulations take effect. Some smaller banks are getting out of the mortgage business all together until this thing is sorted out.  

The point of this legislation was supposed to limit the "too big to fail" banks and help the smaller banks.  Instead the smaller banks won't be about to keep up with the govt compliance leaving only the big banks.  I'm absolutely shocked that a liberal policy had the exact opposite affect of what it was meant.  

On the bright side my rental property should start bringing in more money, since less and less people will be able to purchase a home.  

It's about to get worse for real estate and mortgages starting in October when the new regulations take effect. Some smaller banks are getting out of the mortgage business all together until this thing is sorted out.  

The point of this legislation was supposed to limit the "too big to fail" banks and help the smaller banks.  Instead the smaller banks won't be about to keep up with the govt compliance leaving only the big banks.  I'm absolutely shocked that a liberal policy had the exact opposite affect of what it was meant.  

On the bright side my rental property should start bringing in more money, since less and less people will be able to purchase a home.  

Yea......I can't sell certain loans due to this crap.

Now's the time to be in the rental business. Between the impending mortgage issues you've outlined and the number of people who are underemployed who just plum can't afford to buy either away, rental property's going to be in high demand. If I wasn't headed for law school....

What message?

that was a good post.

Considering trump rise in the GOP is it safe to say Republicans have alot of on  uninformed voters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my prediction: Bush wins the Presidential Election, ISIS members cause a mass attack on U.S. Soil, President Obama gets blamed (and rightfully so) for not heavily attacking ISIS while still in office. 

Similar to what happened several yrs ago, when Clinton had the chance to get Bin Laden and didnt, G.W. won, 9/11 happens. 

Really hope im wrong on the ISIS thing as a whole. There's still time to get them up outta here.