Vidor's new hire as head basketball coach

I think the boys still get a respectable  field, but not Silsbee or Kountze last year anyway (way they talk about Silsbee, they need to sch Duke).  

The girls field a little stronger, with some very strong, big teams.   

• 2 months later...

good for him. i know he has been wanting to get out of vidor for years.

This post just doesn't make sense or match the reality that we saw in Vidor.  The Vidor Parents and Fans wanted Sterling out for years, but Administration stood by him.  

Your later question of whether Sterling is a good coach?  I think it is too early to tell.  Bill Bellicheck was a terrible coach in Clevland and will go down in history as one of the greatest.  I hope for Larry and Bridge City's sake that there is another such turnaroud in the future.  But he was not good for the Vidor Program and he was not good for the Boys in the program the last 2 years.

I have no idea how good of a coach Coach Williams will be.  I have no idea how many games Vidor will win.  But anyone is an improvement over the last situation for the Pirates!

He was only there 5 years.  One as an assistant and 4 as the Head Coach.  So if you are saying that he wanted out after the first year, that would certainly explain his seeming indifference attitude towards the players as individuals.  

I just think if someone wanted out that badly, it would be easier to get out before he got fired and not after.  But I am not friend with Coach Sterling.  I have to defer to you and give you the benefit of the doubt.  I tried to give Coach Sterling the benefit of the doubt for years while he was here.  I defended him for as long as I could.  But eventually, there appeared to be no defenses.  

But I understand that in his life as an Educator, he is a super nice guy who everyone really likes.  I really do wish him the best in Bridge City and whatever follows.

Team First, Then you do not know Larry Sterling very well.

I do not care what you think my motivation is.  I am just calling it like I see it.  I have been on this board a long time.  It is easy to find out exactly who I am.  And I haven't said anything here that I have not first said to Larry privately in person.

Edited by daddy23

Team,

I tried to post months ago when this thread was first on, but for some reason I could not login.  My login and password didn't work.  Tried again this week and it worked.  Noticed the thread again and just wanted to share my thoughts.

I did have a son that wore #23.  He would be a freshman this year and likely in the program.  Instead, he is fighting a losing battle with Osteosarcoma.  When I choose the moniker he was a 6 year old playing T-ball.  Those are some memories that I will always cherish.  

I have other children (both boys and a girl) who have played sports at Vidor.  This isn't about how Larry treated my children.  My children are cursed with my gentics.  Every minute of Playing Time that they ever get a testimony that hard work and commitment can occassionally overcome genetics and that the talent pool at Vidor is often shallow.

However, Larry did a below average job of coaching as he took over the team and he detoriated into doing a really poor job.  I do not mean that as an indictment on him as a person or as him on a coach.  I am just pointing out that he lost the team, the individual players and the community and as things went South, he only made decisions that made things worse.  

I actually think that I am an above average Sports Coach (although it is not what I do professionally) and yet I have sucked it up with some of my teams.  Nothing I did worked and I made decisions that made things worse.  Sometimes it happens.  Sometimes you need a reboot.  I hope the reboot helps Coach Sterling.  I wish the reboot would have happen 2 years sooner for Vidor.

That is how I really feel.

Team,

I tried to post months ago when this thread was first on, but for some reason I could not login.  My login and password didn't work.  Tried again this week and it worked.  Noticed the thread again and just wanted to share my thoughts.

I did have a son that wore #23.  He would be a freshman this year and likely in the program.  Instead, he is fighting a losing battle with Osteosarcoma.  When I choose the moniker he was a 6 year old playing T-ball.  Those are some memories that I will always cherish.  

I have other children (both boys and a girl) who have played sports at Vidor.  This isn't about how Larry treated my children.  My children are cursed with my gentics.  Every minute of Playing Time that they ever get a testimony that hard work and commitment can occassionally overcome genetics and that the talent pool at Vidor is often shallow.

However, Larry did a below average job of coaching as he took over the team and he detoriated into doing a really poor job.  I do not mean that as an indictment on him as a person or as him on a coach.  I am just pointing out that he lost the team, the individual players and the community and as things went South, he only made decisions that made things worse.  

I actually think that I am an above average Sports Coach (although it is not what I do professionally) and yet I have sucked it up with some of my teams.  Nothing I did worked and I made decisions that made things worse.  Sometimes it happens.  Sometimes you need a reboot.  I hope the reboot helps Coach Sterling.  I wish the reboot would have happen 2 years sooner for Vidor.

That is how I really feel.

Very sorry to hear about your son.  We appreciate you sharing and he and your family will be in many of our prayers. 

I don't know Sterling at all.  I did think his teams the last few seasons underperformed.  I can also attest that a kid I know very well was not planning on playing anymore until he left.  This is a great kid from a great family who is very athletic and would be a contributor on most teams in this area.  I am happy to see him playing again. 

This post just doesn't make sense or match the reality that we saw in Vidor.  The Vidor Parents and Fans wanted Sterling out for years, but Administration stood by him.  

Your later question of whether Sterling is a good coach?  I think it is too early to tell.  Bill Bellicheck was a terrible coach in Clevland and will go down in history as one of the greatest.  I hope for Larry and Bridge City's sake that there is another such turnaroud in the future.  But he was not good for the Vidor Program and he was not good for the Boys in the program the last 2 years.

I have no idea how good of a coach Coach Williams will be.  I have no idea how many games Vidor will win.  But anyone is an improvement over the last situation for the Pirates!

well it looks like y'all both got what y'all wanted. he got a better school and you got a different coach.

Very sorry to hear about your son.  We appreciate you sharing and he and your family will be in many of our prayers. 

I don't know Sterling at all.  I did think his teams the last few seasons underperformed.  I can also attest that a kid I know very well was not planning on playing anymore until he left.  This is a great kid from a great family who is very athletic and would be a contributor on most teams in this area.  I am happy to see him playing again. 

Appreciate and respect your input Hoops.  And with you on the prayers for dad23's son and family!

As some know, where it not for my grandkids I wouldn't know a point guard from a post (in my youth, Guards, Forw, & Center), so all I can do is tell you my grandson and most of his teammates think the world of Coach L.  He helped with 7& 8Gd and I can only remember one loss (but my memory ain't something to bet on).  Whether he can turn it around for Vidor, I sincerely hope so. Will the kids enjoy playing for him?  I'd bet my firstborn (he's 6'3" & weighs 260 and eat you out of house and home lol).  Good Luck to the Pirates this year!   This old Reb will be a Fan!