Vidor's new hire as head basketball coach

As for Coach Sterling and Vidor's New Hire Coach Williams I personally see them both as good coaches. Williams with many years in different places and Sterling getting his first stint under his belt.  I watched probably 15+ games of Sterling over the past 3-4 years and I could always see a disciplined team working to get better....I also saw a few parents thinking they know more than the coach...Experienced 2 games where a guy (dad of a son) yelled "You think you wanna change your press break Sterling, it ain't workin"....When HIS son should have been the middle of the press break and couldn't "get it done"....Lets just say, he heard me from 20 rows back saying "The coach is in the right press break, the horses just can't get it done"...

As for how Vidor is doing in Nederland Fall League...I watched Nederland thump em something like 90-50 on Monday evening...Dogs had over 50+ by half...

Good luck to both coaches in their new homes...I will say that Sterling can coach period, I'm not as familiar with Williams...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been watching Pirate basketball for a few years and can tell you now, Larry Sterling couldn't get it done. Last year's team had some talent but I never saw the discipline that all the non-Vidor pundents are talking about. What I saw was some bonehead moves that cost us some games. Funny how English could get it done here and how nederrville stunk before he went back there. Now, everyone in nederville is an expert. If Larry didn't want to be here, he should have left earlier instead of just putting up with it, so to speak. I wish him well in Bridge City; looking forward to what Coach Williams can do with the Pirates.

I've been watching Pirate basketball for a few years and can tell you now, Larry Sterling couldn't get it done. Last year's team had some talent but I never saw the discipline that all the non-Vidor pundents are talking about. What I saw was some bonehead moves that cost us some games. Funny how English could get it done here and how nederrville stunk before he went back there. Now, everyone in nederville is an expert. If Larry didn't want to be here, he should have left earlier instead of just putting up with it, so to speak. I wish him well in Bridge City; looking forward to what Coach Williams can do with the Pirates.

I hope and think you guys will be very pleased with Coach Williams in Vidor.  Your example with Coach English is on point by the way. 

As for Coach Sterling and Vidor's New Hire Coach Williams I personally see them both as good coaches. Williams with many years in different places and Sterling getting his first stint under his belt.  I watched probably 15+ games of Sterling over the past 3-4 years and I could always see a disciplined team working to get better....I also saw a few parents thinking they know more than the coach...Experienced 2 games where a guy (dad of a son) yelled "You think you wanna change your press break Sterling, it ain't workin"....When HIS son should have been the middle of the press break and couldn't "get it done"....Lets just say, he heard me from 20 rows back saying "The coach is in the right press break, the horses just can't get it done"...

As for how Vidor is doing in Nederland Fall League...I watched Nederland thump em something like 90-50 on Monday evening...Dogs had over 50+ by half...

Good luck to both coaches in their new homes...I will say that Sterling can coach period, I'm not as familiar with Williams...

That why the Martin Mills coach step down to many fans in his face.

I've watched this thread with interest for some time and took a long time to throw my two cents into the mix.

Having followed Vidor sports for many years I can honestly say I never observed a coach who lacked so many assets that give a team any chance of success as with Coach Sterling. All athletes ( as well as fans and parents) are aware that if you don't do your assigned job a coach is well within their right to yell or get after you. This would have been more than understandable if ANY amount of support before or after discipline was offered, but as a fan in the stands it was clearly evident to those paying any attention Coach Sterling actually had an advesarial relationship with the athletes. It was discouraging to see a grown man behave so childish and so uninterested in competing,  as he was in showing the team who was the boss. The mental games he played was right out of "how to mentally and verbally abuse your wife for dummies". One player admitted that "winning" was never even discussed as a goal ever,  the best you were going to get was listening to his personal hostile attacks without ever offering constructive advise on how to improve. Now Bobby Knight (and other good coaches) were never considered a player's coach either, but they could overcome their lack of social skills with an understanding of athletic competition. The style of play that Coach Sterling instituted was so uncompetitive that the team was typically out of the game before the 1st period even ended. When making the right pass is more important than getting a shot off  and that is what you concern your team with as paramount you've just got the ball picked and the fast break for the other team is on. These observations are not based on any one season but in every season that Larry coached at the varsity level. A shot clock would be his best friend. At one point he may find success but I submit that will not happen until he understands something about coaching people and game tempo.

Now I'm sure Coach Sterling's defenders will respond and disparage this post.  I'm just a fan who is more interested in Vidor athletics than sugar coating what was really a disgrace for the program and don't apologize for my honesty. This is a tough district to compete in with so many other quality programs without employing a coach who as admitted by one of Coach Sterling's supporters "had wanted out of Vidor for some time".

And you got the coach who was there when Nederland stunk in basketball. LOL

And he's not doing a bad job so far, I like what I'm seeing with the kids. Besides, after the way you guys treated him leading up to stealing Brian, I'm sure he wants to get a shot at you. Pretty chicken stuff IMO. 

I don't know anything about how he was treated, but I do know he was there for a long time and Ned was pretty mediocre the whole time.