Larry Haynes Out at Lumberton

They beat Barbers hill state ranked the week before to win district then their team captain got shot at his deer feeder early saturday/sunday. Can't remember his name but my uncle probably does, he said they didn't have practice monday cause everyone was ripped up then practice on tuesday the wake wednesday funeral thursday game friday with only 1 practice and some heavy hearts.

Wow...what a tragic story. I bet that was hard on those young men.

That was also the day after they buried their team captain who died in a hunting accident, are you trying to bring that up as a negative cause i think any team of 15-18 yr olds would probably have a bad game after that. Maybe you should've looked that up first. My uncles were the Randolphs that played on that team, they said they never showed up cause they were all still at the funeral mentally.

Not being negative at all. To be honest I had forgotten about Bill Van Dorn dying that year. You must be kin to Bishop, Robert, and Russell. I'm probably leaving one out.

I disagree 100% on that high school coaches don't "rebuild" programs. You do not rebuild from outside involvement (recruit). You rebuild from the inside.

You have to get kids excited about playing football. That is the hardest part with a school that wins 2-3 games a year. It's tough to get kids motivated to give up their blood, sweat, and tears if they feel like they will lose. No one wants to be labeled a "loser" by their peers. Trust me, the hardest part about being on a campus with a losing team is having to hear the things their classmates say to them. Those kids that do NOTHING for their school are quick to run them down and criticize their efforts.

If a coach can come in and get kids to "buy in" to his program and "rebuild" the program mentally. That is 2/3 of the battle. The other 1/3 is coaching.

As far as Lumberton and Coach Haynes. His teams always played hard against GCM. It was simply a numbers game. It's tough to have kids, especially linemen, play both ways at the 5A level. I think he is a good coach and will be coaching somewhere else soon.

The problem I see here, as a long time resident of Lumberton, is there is too much parent involvement in the school board decision process. Joe Bob thinks his son is the greatest player since Peyton Manning and gets peeved that the coach recognizes that his son is lazy and doesn't want to play at his potential so he benches him. Joe Bob then starts raising cane with one his buddies on the school board and boom all the other members cave and the coach is gone, no matter what his past accomplishments. No one see what is clearly in front of their faces, other Lumberton teams being coached by assistants who tend to stay from one HC change to another are extremely successful i.e. both soccer teams, girls basketball, the band, the Raiderettes and the cheerleaders. All of these groups have had one thing in common, stability. Coach Creduer lost his job having to put up with one of the worst Junior classes football wise and Haynes inherited those guys, they had a lot of heart but little talent. Now his 2nd season was a big improvement from the first and if someone with a similar philosophy comes in maybe this year will look even better since the pieces of the puzzle are there. Doesn't really matter though because this new coach is going to piss some parent off and out the door he will go also. Oh, and dropping to 4-A won't help, it'll just bring a different group around to whip the Raiders. As far as Haynes goes, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes ahead and hang up his whistle.

I said this before but I guess I will say it again. Babin will not run the Slot T at Lumberton. He has only ran the Slot T 2 seasons in his career and the reason he went to it at Warren last year is because it is what suited the kids. At Deweyville he was Offset I with alot of unbalance. Power, Toss, Load Option, Midline. Dupey was the QB and was all of 5'6" 160 but could go. From what I understand if he were to get a large school job he would be much more progressive. He played in the spread in College and I know he is a big fan. But why do I even post stuff? Y'all will just make things up and call them facts.