By Definition - Shouldn't Conservatives Be Pro Pot Legalization?

EnlightenedMessiah

Personal freedom - Check

Tax revenues - Check

Less taxpayer money spent on court costs - Check

Less taxpayer money spent on jailing non-violent offenders - Check

Common sense would say that marijuana should be legalized, regulated and taxed in a manner similar to alcohol. For those without common sense who oppose pot legalization, can you give us some reasons why?

Personal freedom - Check

Tax revenues - Check

Common sense would say that marijuana should be legalized, regulated and taxed in a manner similar to alcohol. For those without common sense who oppose pot legalization, can you give us some reasons why?

The first mistake that you made was your claims of conservatives. Since when are they in favor of higher taxes? Since when are they against law and order and keeping non-violent offenders out of jail? 

Try coming up with a statement that makes sense, then maybe you can get an answer. 

What?

I never said conservatives are in favor of higher taxes.

I never said conservatives are against law and order.

I never said conservatives are against keeping non-violent offenders out of jail.

Good job avoiding the question. I don't expect you to be of much help in this topic, considering your line of work.

The first mistake that you made was your claims of conservatives. Since when are they in favor of higher taxes? Since when are they against law and order and keeping non-violent offenders out of jail? 

Try coming up with a statement that makes sense, then maybe you can get an answer. 

What?

I never said conservatives are against keeping non-violent offenders out of jail.

Good job avoiding the question. I don't expect you to be of much help in this topic, considering your line of work.

Actually you did infer it.   ;) :)

What?

Let's see, you say that it would creating taxing marijuana and then put...

Tax revenue - Check

What does check mean if not to endorse taxes? 

Then try to explain it away when personal freedom is checked and the other two on less taxes on court. It looks like you are denying what everyone sees. 

I'm fine with legalizing and regulating marijuana without the taxation. Would that make you happy?

How about you answer the question? What is so hard about that? Do you support the legalization or marijuana? Yes/No and give reasons why. It's not that hard TVC, stop beating around the bush.

Let's see, you say that it would creating taxing marijuana and then put...

Tax revenue - Check

What does check mean if not to endorse taxes? 

Then try to explain it away when personal freedom is checked and the other two on less taxes on court. It looks like you are denying what everyone sees. 

Personal freedom - Check
Tax revenues - Check

kmsl

One of the arguments opponents have always had about marijuana is that it leads to harder drug use. I've always kind of attributed that to its illegality, and the fact that you have to buy it from guys who are selling harder stuff as well. I'd be interested to see what studies show on use of harder drugs in Colorado now that marijuana has been legal there for a little while.

I'm a conservative and I'm against it, mainly because I'm raising my 14 year old Son and I don't want it easier to get than it already is.

I also look at Colorado and see that the legalization is not trouble free. The money they may save on cops is spent on cops and government trying to regulate it. The states surronding Colorado are busy busting people crossing the stat lines....

I then think of how Texas was before and after the Lottery.....I don't see where the schools or roads are any better after than before. Could it be the government is wasting the profits? Who knows, but it appears it would not benefit me to have it legalized......

But legalization and regulation would actually make it harder for kids to get it. Right now your kid can buy it from any one of his classmates with no real hurdles. Finding a source to buy alcohol was significantly harder for most kids in high school because alcohol has to be purchased by a 21+ year old inside a licensed store.

Drug dealers don't ID, stores do.

I'm a conservative and I'm against it, mainly because I'm raising my 14 year old Son and I don't want it easier to get than it already is.

But legalization and regulation would actually make it harder for kids to get it. Right now your kid can buy it from any one of his classmates with no real hurdles. Finding a source to buy alcohol was significantly harder for most kids in high school because alcohol has to be purchased by a 21+ year old inside a licensed store.

Drug dealers don't ID, stores do.

I'm working, so not a lot of time to research, but my casual reading about Colorado claims just the opposite. It is being found in schools more now that it has been legalized? It that maybe because Mom and Dad does not hide it anymore and kids can find it?

This is what I can say about my experience with alcohol (remember, I am old enough that at 18 I was legal to drink in LA but had to wait 1 year to be legal in Texas at 19)....from 16 to 18 I never had trouble buying beer, and I look young, at 30 I was still being carded for cigarettes. I could always find it if I wanted it.....same with anything else.....I think legalizing it puts more of it legally in the hands of people that will abuse it or sell it illegally........but, just my opinion....

It probably is being increasingly found at schools, but I'd say that's because it's the hot new controversial topic at hand and not because of mom and dad leaving it around the house. Give it 5-10 years and I bet the craze does down (in states already legal)

I'd say your experience regarding underage drinking is an outlier. Now it's 21+ and laws are a lot more strict. I remember having to jump through hoops to get a six pack

I'm working, so not a lot of time to research, but my casual reading about Colorado claims just the opposite. It is being found in schools more now that it has been legalized? It that maybe because Mom and Dad does not hide it anymore and kids can find it?

This is what I can say about my experience with alcohol (remember, I am old enough that at 18 I was legal to drink in LA but had to wait 1 year to be legal in Texas at 19)....from 16 to 18 I never had trouble buying beer, and I look young, at 30 I was still being carded for cigarettes. I could always find it if I wanted it.....same with anything else.....I think legalizing it puts more of it legally in the hands of people that will abuse it or sell it illegally........but, just my opinion....