Firearms issue

Mr. Buddy Garrity

@12NewsSETX: Port Arthur police chief Mark Blanton is opposed to allowing Texans to openly carry handguns:

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/27681192/port-arthur-police-chief-opposes-allowing-texans-to-openly-carry-handguns

http://twitter.com/12NewsSETX/status/546740683369762816/photo/1

There is a time and a place for everything. In some situations and with the right people, open carry will be fine. Walking through Walmart or te mall is not one of those instances in my opinion. My entire family traveled to Alaska a few years back. We did a lot of fishing and hiking in the woods with 7 kids. My father, brother-in-law, and I all carried our pistols along. When we went into town to shop, we took them off and left them in the car. After the new wears off, people will go back to not toting them everywhere and things will get back to pretty much the same as now. But, there will always be some idiot who wants to stir trouble that will march into the mall wearing it. I have grown up around guns and my children both have been shooting since they were old enough to hold a red rider and then a 22. When someone walks down the sidewalk or into a store with a legal gun and I don't know that person it makes me very nervous. There are too many crazies out there who want to do evil things, and when people try to prove they have a right to carry a gun and show up in a crowded place, it is scary.

There is a time and a place for everything. In some situations and with the right people, open carry will be fine. Walking through Walmart or te mall is not one of those instances in my opinion. My entire family traveled to Alaska a few years back. We did a lot of fishing and hiking in the woods with 7 kids. My father, brother-in-law, and I all carried our pistols along. When we went into town to shop, we took them off and left them in the car. After the new wears off, people will go back to not toting them everywhere and things will get back to pretty much the same as now. But, there will always be some idiot who wants to stir trouble that will march into the mall wearing it. I have grown up around guns and my children both have been shooting since they were old enough to hold a red rider and then a 22. When someone walks down the sidewalk or into a store with a legal gun and I don't know that person it makes me very nervous. There are too many crazies out there who want to do evil things, and when people try to prove they have a right to carry a gun and show up in a crowded place, it is scary.

Fantastic post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...