2014 All-KOGT Baseball Team

just for conversation sake

if playing a neighboring county with this team

You would take 7 cardinals (the 3A district champions) and 2 pirates (the 4A district champions)?
You would take twice as many mustangs as you would bears?
You would take 12 from our two 3A schools and 4 from our two 4A schools?

Gary Stelly does a great job covering high school sports and his opinion carries a good bit of weight due to the fact that he sees probably more of all the schools than many, if not all of us do. Nothing about this process is ever easy and you can bet that no matter who is chosen there will always be some sort of controversy or disagreement. I'd be shocked if anyone thought that any of these teams were chosen in order to purposely leave off anyone or offend a certain group or school. One other thought, just because a school is a higher classification doesn't neccessarily mean they play a better brand of ball or vice versa. That's not anything other than a general statement and not meant as anything other than that, no disrespect to anyone.

Rake1

Gary Stelly does a great job covering high school sports and his opinion carries a good bit of weight due to the fact that he sees probably more of all the schools than many, if not all of us do. Nothing about this process is ever easy and you can bet that no matter who is chosen there will always be some sort of controversy or disagreement. I'd be shocked if anyone thought that any of these teams were chosen in order to purposely leave off anyone or offend a certain group or school. One other thought, just because a school is a higher classification doesn't neccessarily mean they play a better brand of ball or vice versa. That's not anything other than a general statement and not meant as anything other than that, no disrespect to anyone.

Rake1

Gary does a fantastic job as always. But Rake, when you say "all schools", are you including our area 2A and 1A schools?

As someone who follows these lists every year I actually thought it was good that Vidor was included on both lists because most of the time they get left out and it becomes an "All Orange" team instead of an "All County" team. Regardless, Congrats to all who made the lists.

Rake1

For the first time in over a decade im not in charge of putting together one of these teams so let me explain how i at least went about it.

First off alot of my picks were done by the eye test. You can show me a kid hit .450 but if i watched him and another player at the same position all year i could still go with another selection due to just liking how the second guy played the game and what he meant to his team. Stats show a lot but they arent everything.
Second there is not a care to me what level a kids team plays in. Mainly because the kid certainly has no say in that. I do though look at this for example (and im making this example up just to show it better) say a batter only bats .300 but was in a tough district loaded with future college pitchers is in running for mvp against a guy who hit .425 in a very weak district. Then i look at other varibles and the first could easily be my pick.

I never cared about all district picks when making my teams. Some of these all district team selections are made with agendas. I tried like i said to put who i thought were best players together. That being said, i could have been wrong but it was my thoughts. And i never made excuses for.my teams. I figure i watched enough games each year to have enough knowledge to select an honor team. Does it make it perfect? Nope

I stuck to only one selection at each position. This made it easy and if i selected 4 first team pitchers instead of just the 1 then criticism and fairness could come into play.

So basically i went with my gut, let stats only be a guide, kept it simple and didnt apologize for giving an opinion since i was paid to do so. There were plenty of times i hated to leave a kid off but in the end there cant be a ribbon for everyone and to my knowledge kids left off do not suffer any illnesses or lose scholarships.

As for as MVPs i always first go to the district champion. If that team has a clear cut stud on their team i pick them. He was best player on best team. If no clear stud on title team then i might look around and find who was best player around but 95% of time it was best teams best player
Gary does a great job so when i saw that list i know he put it out with at least knowing what hes talking about.

Sorry so long on basically nothing lol. Just giving my thoughts

In an age where it is hard to get much press for our locals schools through media, I applaud Gary Stelly and the work he does for the Orange area schools. Orange area businesses and people are what keeps a station like KOGT on the air, He does more to promote all activities in the Orange area athletic or not than anyone else. I live in Beaumont and wish I could get his signal cause there is nothing like local owned media. 

That heppens in all district or all kogt or whatever else they do and always will. I know forsure the stevenson kid from vidor hit .420 on the season and led in just about every category and wasn't on here. So I'm guessing they put who they want and leave the stats out. @titan