Bridge City vs WOS.

It's not where they catch it. It's where it crosses the plate. I have seen lots of curve balls caught where you state that cross the plate too high. Yet the 3rd row ump always calls them strikes.

I'm speechless....Thank you for the nugget of knowledge Capt. Obvious.

Both of the guys catching last night are well aware of what a strike is and they both were well aware that the guy behind the dish had no clue.

Regards from the "3rd row".

Rake1

Hey not saying bad nights don't happen. Hopefully he uses this as a teaching moment.

He's 20 yrs old and has been calling select tourneys at Ford Park for years. I commend him for wanting to be an umpire, it really is a thankless job. I just think there is a learning curve to calling higher levels of baseball and a district game with playoff implications is not the time to be learning.

It is very difficult to read this thread without responding when it is quite obvious some are wearing their rose-colored glasses as they evaluate and shred the umpiring. Leave age out of this. Your plate umpire for the HF game last week is 24 but you won so nothing was said of his ability (or lack of). WOS earned a win last night and no other explanation is necessary. WOS was better than BC last night...PERIOD! However, let's see if I understand what I have read (If I am to believe the comments, in combination with the stats from this post)

REALITY: BC-2 hits, WOS 5!
REALITY: Many of us TASO umpires are volunteer LL umpires and perform very well at high levels of both (thank you for noticing)
POST: Coaches can scratch umps followed by this guy will never call for BC and WOS.
REALITY: Umpires can scratch schools as well and many of us have scratched BC for the very reason you can read throughout this post.
REALITY: I called the BC/HF game last week (after having scratched BC) simply because no other umpires were available due to the high number of scratches and I was basically begged to take the game.
REALITY: The only other BC game I called this year was similar to last night: Livingston had more hits, pitcher threw well and BC made 4 or more errors. As a result, Livingston beat BC because they were the better team that day.

Winning is great. Losing is tough. Some times you play well, other times you just don't but to take away a solid performance by your opponent without acknowledging your teams poor performance AND then turn on the umpires is demeaning to your opponent(s) and....Well, you understand why the top umpires in the Chapter will exercise their right to scratch these type schools (irrational fans don't help either).

PS-I have called WOS 3 times this season and they are a solid team. Lack the pitching depth they'd like to have but 1-9 hits well and they play solid defense much like BC.

Best of luck to both teams in the playoffs as you represent SE TX and will do so very well!!

He's 20 yrs old and has been calling select tourneys at Ford Park for years. I commend him for wanting to be an umpire, it really is a thankless job. I just think there is a learning curve to calling higher levels of baseball and a district game with playoff implications is not the time to be learning.

C'mon now......BC is still the#1 seed and a Great Team /Program

It is very difficult to read this thread without responding when it is quite obvious some are wearing their rose-colored glasses as they evaluate and shred the umpiring. Leave age out of this. Your plate umpire for the HF game last week is 24 but you won so nothing was said of his ability (or lack of). WOS earned a win last night and no other explanation is necessary. WOS was better than BC last night...PERIOD! However, let's see if I understand what I have read (If I am to believe the comments, in combination with the stats from this post)

REALITY: BC-2 hits, WOS 5!
REALITY: Many of us TASO umpires are volunteer LL umpires and perform very well at high levels of both (thank you for noticing)
POST: Coaches can scratch umps followed by this guy will never call for BC and WOS.
REALITY: Umpires can scratch schools as well and many of us have scratched BC for the very reason you can read throughout this post.
REALITY: I called the BC/HF game last week (after having scratched BC) simply because no other umpires were available due to the high number of scratches and I was basically begged to take the game.
REALITY: The only other BC game I called this year was similar to last night: Livingston had more hits, pitcher threw well and BC made 4 or more errors. As a result, Livingston beat BC because they were the better team that day.

Winning is great. Losing is tough. Some times you play well, other times you just don't but to take away a solid performance by your opponent without acknowledging your teams poor performance AND then turn on the umpires is demeaning to your opponent(s) and....Well, you understand why the top umpires in the Chapter will exercise their right to scratch these type schools (irrational fans don't help either).

PS-I have called WOS 3 times this season and they are a solid team. Lack the pitching depth they'd like to have but 1-9 hits well and they play solid defense much like BC.

Best of luck to both teams in the playoffs as you represent SE TX and will do so very well!!

+1 Great Post

It is very difficult to read this thread without responding when it is quite obvious some are wearing their rose-colored glasses as they evaluate and shred the umpiring. Leave age out of this. Your plate umpire for the HF game last week is 24 but you won so nothing was said of his ability (or lack of). WOS earned a win last night and no other explanation is necessary. WOS was better than BC last night...PERIOD! However, let's see if I understand what I have read (If I am to believe the comments, in combination with the stats from this post)POST: KOGT states the umpire is a "hitters" ump.REALITY: BC-2 hits, WOS 5!POST: I've seen better umps in LL.REALITY: Many of us TASO umpires are volunteer LL umpires and perform very well at high levels of both (thank you for noticing)POST: Coaches can scratch umps followed by this guy will never call for BC and WOS.REALITY: Umpires can scratch schools as well and many of us have scratched BC for the very reason you can read throughout this post.REALITY: I called the BC/HF game last week (after having scratched BC) simply because no other umpires were available due to the high number of scratches and I was basically begged to take the game.REALITY: The only other BC game I called this year was similar to last night: Livingston had more hits, pitcher threw well and BC made 4 or more errors. As a result, Livingston beat BC because they were the better team that day.Winning is great. Losing is tough. Some times you play well, other times you just don't but to take away a solid performance by your opponent without acknowledging your teams poor performance AND then turn on the umpires is demeaning to your opponent(s) and....Well, you understand why the top umpires in the Chapter will exercise their right to scratch these type schools (irrational fans don't help either).PS-I have called WOS 3 times this season and they are a solid team. Lack the pitching depth they'd like to have but 1-9 hits well and they play solid defense much like BC.Best of luck to both teams in the playoffs as you represent SE TX and will do so very well!!

Be careful, you may break your arm patting yourself on the back. You
May also want to check out last nights ump on social media before you come running in here like the cavalry to save the day. You can thank me later. That, as you so like to put it, is REALITY.

Rake1

May also want to check out last nights ump on social media before you come running in here like the cavalry to save the day. You can thank me later. That, as you so like to put it, is REALITY.

Rake1

are you really stalking the ump on social media? 

WOW…………….

are you really stalking the ump on social media? 

WOW…………….

Actually for your information I was sent a text message about it from someone familiar with him if you must know. Anything else? I'll be happy to share.

Rake1

Rake1

@Rake1-Sorry you misconstrued this as me "patting myself on the back" as that was NEVER my intent. Was merely pointing out the difficulty in getting umpires to work games in hostile environments and/or when guys know they will be ripped by coaches, fans or on posts such as has happened here. There are tons of other opportunities to call games. Only point I was attempting to make. Sorry if it came off any way other than that.

As for checking social media, I will leave that to my children. Have to assume from your comment this umpire posted on his performance or something similar. I am hopeful you are not of the belief umpires walk off the field thinking they got every call right or that every game is their best? Not even close. We do our best to get every pitch or call correct but it rarely occurs. We discuss each game in detail to help each other improve. It is not as easy as it appears. I can tell you this....every umpire has walked off a field believing he has called a consistent game only to hear grumbles from coaches and fans and have threads like this shred them which makes a guy doubt himself. Again, another in the long list of reasons it is difficult to recruit and retain umpires. The fact that we are umpires should tell you something about us being a tad "off our rockers" :). Tough to hear the stinging criticism and want to continue doing something you love to do. Since we are speaking about REALITIES...That's another hurdle our Chapter faces each year :(

Final TASO meeting is tonight, 7:00PM should you be interested in simply listening (as a guest) to some very decent guys working hard at a craft that is more often thankless than rewarding. You may even get to hear me berated by the Board for posting my opinions here :(

@Rake1-Sorry you misconstrued this as me "patting myself on the back" as that was NEVER my intent. Was merely pointing out the difficulty in getting umpires to work games in hostile environments and/or when guys know they will be ripped by coaches, fans or on posts such as has happened here. There are tons of other opportunities to call games. Only point I was attempting to make. Sorry if it came off any way other than that.As for checking social media, I will leave that to my children. Have to assume from your comment this umpire posted on his performance or something similar. I am hopeful you are not of the belief umpires walk off the field thinking they got every call right or that every game is their best? Not even close. We do our best to get every pitch or call correct but it rarely occurs. We discuss each game in detail to help each other improve. It is not as easy as it appears. I can tell you this....every umpire has walked off a field believing he has called a consistent game only to hear grumbles from coaches and fans and have threads like this shred them which makes a guy doubt himself. Again, another in the long list of reasons it is difficult to recruit and retain umpires. The fact that we are umpires should tell you something about us being a tad "off our rockers" :). Tough to hear the stinging criticism and want to continue doing something you love to do. Since we are speaking about REALITIES...That's another hurdle our Chapter faces each year :(Final TASO meeting is tonight, 7:00PM should you be interested in simply listening (as a guest) to some very decent guys working hard at a craft that is more often thankless than rewarding. You may even get to hear me berated by the Board for posting my opinions here :(

No harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. I know it's a thankless job and without umps we can't play. There are some really good ones out there. As far as signing up, I've been a coach too long and could never switch to the "DARK SIDE". LOL!

Rake1

No harm no foul as far as I'm concerned. I know it's a thankless job and without umps we can't play. There are some really good ones out there. As far as signing up, I've been a coach too long and could never switch to the "DARK SIDE". LOL!

Rake1

Agree and understand completely...I am not one that challenges "those that disagree" to sign up so as to show them how tough this is or get em to hush. I was sincere with my invite to attend as a guest and just watch and listen. We simply LOVE the game of BB and umpiring can be quite rewarding. You coach b/c you love the game and working with kids...same here.

Offers a different perspective of the guys behind the "masks" and shirts. Also, new ump training starts at 5:45 and there are some great discussions there about rules, mechanics and game situations. Out of both mtgs by 8:00 then the fun begins.

PS-Refreshments before or after the meeting are worth your time as well :) Let me know if interested and I will get you that info as well (privately...can't have the entire Forum show up LOL).

The umpiring was pretty bad in this one, let's just state facts here. With that being said, it was bad for both teams. Look at the numbers, 10+ walks for WOS pitching staff, not exactly "home cooking" in my eyes. Every game there are a handful of calls that could go either way, and yes. I agree that WOS got a few toss up calls. When you look at the stats of this game it's pretty obvious that the best team on Tuesday night won the game.

I umpired for three years while a student at Lamar University and have been a high school coach for 22 years since.  I called little league ONCE.  Worse than any high school game I ever called.  I very seldom will argue with umpires(except SFA vs Orangefield) unless it is a bad call due to not hustling to get in position.  

I umpired for three years while a student at Lamar University and have been a high school coach for 22 years since.  I called little league ONCE.  Worse than any high school game I ever called.  I very seldom will argue with umpires(except SFA vs Orangefield) unless it is a bad call due to not hustling to get in position.

Most experiences are like yours and most get their start like you as well; out of necessity or for gas money. Often wonder why I didn't just as soon take the coaching route as well. Appears to be much safer territory until your team plays like they've never seen a baseball...Ever had that happen in your 22 years? :)

PS-The lower the level, the louder the moms and grandmas :)