"REALLY" - NEDERLAND - "ONLY 2"

MAYFIELD

2013 20-4A DISTRICT CHAMPS - 1.000 YARD RUNNING BACK, 20-4A #1 RANKED DEFENSE, 20-4A MVP PLAYER, UNDEFEATED IN DISTRICT= 2 PLAYERS SIGNED TO ANY COLLEGE. DID I DO THE MATH PROBLEM WRONG OR DO I NEED A TUTOR?
WHO CAN EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM SETX MEMBERS TALK TO ME.

They just haven't signed yet. Kimler and Hopkins will go somewhere though. The bulk of the classes are in and coaches are evaluating what resources they have left to offer to other kids that weren't necessarily on their target lists. Kimler can definitely play once he concentrates on one position, Hopkins might have trouble because his production wasn't really eye-popping having to take his size into consideration. I think Dayton fans will be saying the same thing next year about McBride as is relates to Hopkins.

Just because we didn't produce a ton of college recruits isn't a problem, it is a credit to the coaches to produce teams that takes down other schools who are loaded with recruited players.   some of you may remember a good number of years ago Bridge City had about 16 kids sign scholarships, yet they didn't make the playoffs. Colton Kimler did say he was giving up football and focusing on Academics, I think Colton has a bright future ahead of him, he's a smart kid. Their is no shame in not getting a scholarship, it just so happens a lot of times our bulldogs are not as big or as fast as others, but their hearts are bigger than they are and that's why we excel as a team.

So when did scholarships dictate what kind of program you run. Your talking about a bunch of kids that haven't lost a single district game in over 3 1/2 years and complaining about scholarships. That's not what football is about or the game of football; these boys learn way more in these short years as being a man than anything. When we start basing scholarships around success??? There are schools with sub .500 records and sign 8-10 kids yr in and yr out, same with these all state/ all-district selections- Which are all someone's opinion !!!' I don't know how it looks signing a lot of kids with these records to be honest. Congrats to these 2 fine young men!!!! They deserve everything they received.

P.s-there's a program in Orange County very similar to the one your referring too that went 4 rounds deep the last few yrs and they signed one this year???? Sorry to get on my soapbox but that's the problem with people now a days is there more worried about what can you do for me(scholarships) etc.....

Go Dogs

I understand the playing as a team, to put the whole before the one, but if a kid has the potential to play at the next level then why not give him the opportunity to shine.

I knew a coach at WF Hirschi who couldnt coach a lick and his teams sucked but he got 4+ kids each year to a college cause he used his connections.

HS Coaches jobs are to win, win, win.  Win District Championships, go undefeated, beat their rivals, go deep into playoffs,  etc, etc.  This is a full time, year round job including off season work.  A lot of coaches also teach, volunteer in after school activities and much more.

Recruiting is a maze of work for the parents.  If you want your son to get recruited, make as many events you can afford.  It is eye opening when you get to events and measure up (or not).  A player might be outstanding in his respective district but once POTENTIAL, ability, academics, size, speed is assessed, you might not rank as high as you thought.  If you want a D1 scholarship, it is a full time job and your hs career has little to do with it, rather how you measure up with comparable athletes.  You want a good relationship with hs coach so when you do get interest from colleges, your work ethic and attitude is positive. Stay off twitter and other social media that could reflect negatively on you.  Word to the wise, it's better to focus on academic scholarships, in the end, most will find that will lead to success long term. 

HS Coaches jobs are to win, win, win.  Win District Championships, go undefeated, beat their rivals, go deep into playoffs,  etc, etc.  This is a full time, year round job including off season work.  A lot of coaches also teach, volunteer in after school activities and much more.

Recruiting is a maze of work for the parents.  If you want your son to get recruited, make as many events you can afford.  It is eye opening when you get to events and measure up (or not).  A player might be outstanding in his respective district but once POTENTIAL, ability, academics, size, speed is assessed, you might not rank as high as you thought.  If you want a D1 scholarship, it is a full time job and your hs career has little to do with it, rather how you measure up with comparable athletes.  You want a good relationship with hs coach so when you do get interest from colleges, your work ethic and attitude is positive. Stay off twitter and other social media that could reflect negatively on you.  Word to the wise, it's better to focus on academic scholarships, in the end, most will find that will lead to success long term. 

So what you saying is that a kid should give his all for the benefit to only help the coach be successful, but the kid maybe getting a better education at best out of a scholarship is to much for coaches to try and help reward some of his players with if he can. Hummmm

HS Coaches don't "reward" players with scholarships.  College recruiting/coaches do.

Yes, a HS coach's job is to win high school games, teach and all of that other stuff I mentioned (along with teaching respect and hard work, being a team player and much more). 

The HS coaches ONLY job when it comes to a player's recruiting is to give fair answers to questions asked about the player when/IF college personnel inquires. 

Recruiting is the parent's responsibility.  The player should work hard for their team and if he is talented and has POTENTIAL, the offers will come.  Education is the most important thing for the player. Good luck with your endeavors. 

Coaches are hired to coach and teach students in high school. Several do create relationships with college coaches and that does help some kids with scholarships. In the end whether a student gets a scholarship or not shouldn't be placed at a high coach's feet. Football is a team sport not an individual sport. The best rise to the top and recruiters take notice. What some may see as a school's best player or district MVP may be average in the grand scheme of the recruiting landscape.

I don't think you people behind a key board have any right to question the Nederland program. I recall three times this year being in the coaches office and being interrupted by a college calling about a player. Do you understand how truly difficult it is to have a school a player a scholarship? Its not as if schools have extras they can just throw at players for the sake of doing it. Remember the coaches job is on the line. And, even as a png grad I can say this, if you want to question if Nederland does things the right way go count the district winning streak. I always thought the bulldigs history speaks for itself.

Nederland's commitment to excellence, both on the field and classroom is unquestionable.  Teaching kids, after all is their job.

College is the parent's job.  Sometimes a student's job. 

Do you think teachers in the classroom should be "rewarding" scholarships for students? Teachers will do everything ONCE a student brings information to them and ask for reference or whatever but the student must be the one initiating it. 

Once again take your son to recruiting events.

AAU, Select Baseball, Select Softball, Select Volleyball, Select Soccer not HS sporting events. If your kid wants to earn a scholarship in any sport they must attend CAMPS period! Football is no different. Crosby may have a "Recruiting Coordinator", but I know for a fact that the Twins and Singleton spent much of their offseason Camping.
You think Logan Ashworth signed a baseball deal with Bama because of anything that happened at PNG? He was noticed at a camp.
So the saying "Go RVing" is out...Go Camping!

AAU, Select Baseball, Select Softball, Select Volleyball, Select Soccer not HS sporting events. If your kid wants to earn a scholarship in any sport they must attend CAMPS period! Football is no different. Crosby may have a "Recruiting Coordinator", but I know for a fact that the Twins and Singleton spent much of their offseason Camping.
You think Logan Ashworth signed a baseball deal with Bama because of anything that happened at PNG? He was noticed at a camp.
So the saying "Go RVing" is out...Go Camping!

I think all three went to 5 or 6 camps combined, and one of those was the UT camp Raelon went to after he committed in May. All three were invited to a bunch bet didn't go to many. One of our kids who was a preferred D1 walk-on got an offer without the recruiter even looking at the film, he just went on coach Mann's word. For the 9 players we signed we probably didn't even average 1.5 camps per kid. We had most of those kids get looks in 7 on 7 and the little combine type event we held on our own field. Austin led the state in rushing and Raelon is 6-5 and averaged 25 ypc, all the camps did was hurt those kids when Austin ran a slow 40 and people saw how thin Raelon was. Crosby teaches a whole class on how to make hudl videos starting with the freshman, that type of proactive stance plus coach Mann as our recruiting coordinator is why 9 kids signed.

Size and POTENTIAL matter, you can put weight on player but you can't stretch him to 6'5" (Ned might have a 6'5" player in Carr).  Austin LED the state in rushing.  Good points. But those players did go to camps and get their names out there early. 

Average size players with heart and desire, go early and go often.  Don't bash your coaches either because they do answer to recruiting on your attitude and work ethic.

Bottom line is that it is the parents responsibility, but having a guy like Coach Mann work for your child is priceless. Not everyone is 6-5 and runs a 4.4. Good players often get over looked at these awesome camps because they don't have the eye popping numbers. Plus getting a scholarship sometimes depends on needs of certain schools. They like the player, but only have one scholarship for that position. So having a POC like coach Mann building relationships and finding out what these needs are and selling the players, I'll take it over a guy who just wins any day.