"REALLY" - NEDERLAND - "ONLY 2"

MAYFIELD

I started this post so maybe I can clear this up, then finally end this topic. When I first became a member to this website I took to heart alot of what people said about my son, then had to remember that people have a opinion, and leave it at that a opinion. I later apologized to that person, because he have that right to speak upon the topic that was made available. Now as far as this topic and how it came about. I am not from Nederland even tho my kids are born and raised here, but if you were from the Golden Triangle the past 20 years you know who the Nederland Bulldogs are. A very well coached and system team, no questions are arguments to follow. Now i have worked here in Nederland for 7 years, and every year this topic is talked about from the men who grew up in Nederland knowing every player. Then I listened and kinda agree on certain things, but all in all we can agree to disagree. Many thought I made this post out due to my son, but really trying to find out the truth behind the stories. My son still has another year of high school, but knows if there are no colleges calling life goes on. That football doesn't define his future,personality,and his reasons to life. However the way situations went about this weekend,the phone calls of people I never knew, it makes you wonder. Now like I said it was just a opinion topic, and  whoever feels offended or misjudged talk to me. I am man enough to apologize if wrong, but man enough to stand up when you start bringing this to my boys. It was simply a opinion ladies and gentlemen!

i understand completely makes sense. that is what this board is opinions backed up with a bunch of bs following it. Nothing wrong with stating an opinion. i have ruffled alot of feathers here and there on this board and in the stands.  in the end it doesnt matter, it is all smack. hell ive had coaches pm me and threaten to kick me arse, guess what im still here lol. i have toned it down quite a bit, all due to becoming a parent myself, although i have a daughter, football is out unless later on she is a cheerleader / indianette/ band, but i still take her to the games and still upset people because im loud and blunt and 99 % of the time i say something before thinking . im human and very opinionated and usually wrong in most instantaces. hell thats what makes it fun. yes i eat alot of crow lol. But thruout the years i have met some good folks from allover the district and out of who are just as bad as myself, it s all in good fun. one thing i can say is i dont just watch PNG, when available i do catch other local games on saturdays or thursdays, scrimmages, also. for the most part most fans are fairly nice, just dont wear a purple and white hat with png on it and go watch memorial, it can get a lil rough lol. always someone gotto open their mouth, no offense Big D, lol wasnt you or your group.

Still the same ole James lol, what up Buddy?

Work, work and more work biaplayer! Football04 pretty much nailed who is coming back for Nederland next year. Should be a great MCM next year, I actually give PNG the edge for having the better team early in the season while it will take Nederland a few games to figure out where everyone needs to be.

interesting coming from you  lol. i figure this is the best chance we got of giving the dogs a loss. we blew it last year so gonna have to dig in a lil bit deeper this year. It should be another good MCM again this year, of course it is always good win or lose.Great Rivalry, always glad to be there to watch it.

Work, work and more work biaplayer! Football04 pretty much nailed who is coming back for Nederland next year. Should be a great MCM next year, I actually give PNG the edge for having the better team early in the season while it will take Nederland a few games to figure out where everyone needs to be.

I agree with you on that, Crosby exposed us early last year and I was just counting my lucky starts that we adjusted from it so fast....this year, I hope we can do the same, but I think it will take more than one game before we figure it out.

didn't read all of the pages...the reason why IMO nederland don't get looked at is no exposure. they play teams that will do them no good in the preseason. they are in a district that is not dominant. until they do some traveling and play UP a division where the scouts go, the kids will get looked at. not saying they have to play PAM, but it would be a start. Manvel,N.S., LaPorte, to name a few. Play Texas City again. PAM got looks not because of jamaal, but because who PAM went out there way to play when the school opened and now it's a hot bed and scouts come look at PAM players now. just count the d-1 starters and pros from port arthur since PAM opened in 02.

I have coached at the college level and the high school level.  I can tell you that parents are so misinformed and have such ludicrous expectations that I could talk about this for days.  Here is the break down:

D1 FBS-  95 scholarships in football.  CANNOT break them up.  If you get a football scholarship to one of these schools, IT IS A FULL SCHOLARSHIP.  I would say 99% of the schools honor it for 4/5 years but will pull the scholarships of athletes that have continuous problems.

D1- FCS- 65 sholarships in football.  CAN break them up.  Most of their scholarships go to kickback players from FBS schools.  They will sign a few HS seniors each year but very few are awarded full $$$$.  They usually offer enough $ to cover what financial aid does not.  Most FCS kids are FBS talent but may be an inch too short or 5 lbs too light.  I can tell you, that FCS wants to sign FBS players as much as possible.

SIDE BAR-  Not sure what schools you are looking at but Pell $ does not cover the cost to go to school.  Not even close.

D2-      35 Scholarships.  CAN break them up.  These schools many times are more talented than the FCS schools.  Their rosters are loaded with  kickbacks from FBS players that ran into troubles.  These schools pick up the JuCo kids that didn't take care of their business to qualify for D1 schools.  Most if not all these schools spend their money on transfers and do not offer any football money to HS seniors.  Many times, they offer $500 but that is not a football scholarship.  That is school money any student can get.  Be very careful about sending your athlete to play at these schools.  Quote form a D2 head coach- "The cesspool of academics that is D2 athletics."

D3-  ZERO football scholarships.  This is where most of the high school players fall.  If you ever get a chance to go to watch a D3 game, you need to go.  There are some very talented kids on the field and all of them (in general) were one of the best players on their high school team.  if a kid truly wants to play college football, there is opportunity at this level.  What most D3 coaches find is that kids do not want to play football, they want a scholarship.  Very sad that this is where our society is but a scholarship is seen as a badge of honor now and if an athlete does not get one, then the coaches didn't work hard enough for him.

JuCo- Various #'s of scholarships.  This is where the non-qualifiers are.  If your athlete isn't FBS or FCS, they won't play here either.

NAIA-  Another great option for most HS seniors.  This is a dying level of competition.  If your athlete is offered a scholarship to an NAIA school, look at the costs to see how much is out of pocket.  Usually it is cheaper to go to a D3 school then to go NAIA.  Also, there are not many NAIA close to TX.

Hope this helps and again, this is just tip of the iceberg stuff.

I have coached at the college level and the high school level.  I can tell you that parents are so misinformed and have such ludicrous expectations that I could talk about this for days.  Here is the break down:

D1 FBS-  95 scholarships in football.  CANNOT break them up.  If you get a football scholarship to one of these schools, IT IS A FULL SCHOLARSHIP.  I would say 99% of the schools honor it for 4/5 years but will pull the scholarships of athletes that have continuous problems.

D1- FCS- 65 sholarships in football.  CAN break them up.  Most of their scholarships go to kickback players from FBS schools.  They will sign a few HS seniors each year but very few are awarded full $$$$.  They usually offer enough $ to cover what financial aid does not.  Most FCS kids are FBS talent but may be an inch too short or 5 lbs too light.  I can tell you, that FCS wants to sign FBS players as much as possible.

SIDE BAR-  Not sure what schools you are looking at but Pell $ does not cover the cost to go to school.  Not even close.

D2-      35 Scholarships.  CAN break them up.  These schools many times are more talented than the FCS schools.  Their rosters are loaded with  kickbacks from FBS players that ran into troubles.  These schools pick up the JuCo kids that didn't take care of their business to qualify for D1 schools.  Most if not all these schools spend their money on transfers and do not offer any football money to HS seniors.  Many times, they offer $500 but that is not a football scholarship.  That is school money any student can get.  Be very careful about sending your athlete to play at these schools.  Quote form a D2 head coach- "The cesspool of academics that is D2 athletics."

D3-  ZERO football scholarships.  This is where most of the high school players fall.  If you ever get a chance to go to watch a D3 game, you need to go.  There are some very talented kids on the field and all of them (in general) were one of the best players on their high school team.  if a kid truly wants to play college football, there is opportunity at this level.  What most D3 coaches find is that kids do not want to play football, they want a scholarship.  Very sad that this is where our society is but a scholarship is seen as a badge of honor now and if an athlete does not get one, then the coaches didn't work hard enough for him.

JuCo- Various #'s of scholarships.  This is where the non-qualifiers are.  If your athlete isn't FBS or FCS, they won't play here either.

NAIA-  Another great option for most HS seniors.  This is a dying level of competition.  If your athlete is offered a scholarship to an NAIA school, look at the costs to see how much is out of pocket.  Usually it is cheaper to go to a D3 school then to go NAIA.  Also, there are not many NAIA close to TX.

Great point.  Kids don't go to juco cuz they can't play.  Most of them are FBS caliber players.

Do DI colleges still have the option to bring a non-qualifier in under Proposition 48?

Great Post

I think FBS/FCS are allowed 1 non-Q on scholly.  I may be completely wrong on this but I am pretty sure that was what it was a few years ago.  That kid has to be very special though.  Most will not waste $ on that.

It is a high risk/high reward scenario.  I played with one prop that ended up in the NFL and one that ended up in the 'Pen'.  And a couple more that were successful D1 starters that finished school and went to work.  For our team, it was worth the risk, you could say.  But you are right, these guys were cream of the crop coming out of high school.

Back to the original statement-  I am sure Nederland had a bunch of great kids that were coachable and executed the game plan.  They played hard and new how to win.  Iknow they have the stud going to A&M and I bet he was a difference maker.  However, being coachable, smart, and a good football player does not get you a scholly.  You have to be a difference maker.  The kid that stands out above and beyond everyone on the field.  As well as have the frame that fits your position.   Everyone is an all-american in their parents' eyes.

As a coach, we do everything we can to help a kid out.  What parents do not understand is we cannot push a kid as D1 if he is not D1.  When we have coaches come through, we are realistic about what type of player he is.  If he is a hard worker, we tell them....if he is a great student, we tell them...if he is a student of the game, we tell them.  Their job is to evaluate talent level.  If i tell a recruiter 5 kids are D1 talent and none of them are, how much stock will that recruiter put in what I say when I do have a real D1 kid.....

Why is everyone stuck on D1, the thing is helping to get or put kids in any college. Like I said nothing is guaranteed, but to know your coaches are doing their share to help a kid means alot to that kid. This school has a winning tradition and excellent coaching staff, we just don't advance players.

Mayfield-  I don't know a single coach at Nederland but, I know their reputation and know people who recruit that area.  Those coaches do all they can for their kids.  If a kid chooses not to play because he doesn't get a football scholarship, then what else can a coach do.  I posted it earlier, most kids really do not want to plat college football, they want a college football scholarship.  Some may go off to a D-3 school for one semester thinking they are gonna play as freshmen and about week 2 they realize they are not and cannot.  I use D1 as an example because that is what parents think of.  I am not sure what axe you have to grind Mayfield but when it comes down to it, coahes don't get kids scholarships or opportunities, talent does.  You better hold on to that staff because they are winning with lesser talent.

Why is everyone stuck on D1, the thing is helping to get or put kids in any college. Like I said nothing is guaranteed, but to know your coaches are doing their share to help a kid means alot to that kid. This school has a winning tradition and excellent coaching staff, we just don't advance players.

Some kids don't want to go to just "any college"...I think that more kids from Nederland have opportunities to play "somewhere" than you may realize, but many decide on their own that they don't want to go just anywhere to play and they go on with their education and adult lives...not a thing in the world wrong with this IMO...I am certainly not going to blame this dynamic on Nederland's coaches because it simply isn't true

Another point...if you know anyone who has played D1 football, they would tell you that it is work, a job that takes all of their time and energy.  It is not easy but you're right, talent gets the doors opening and determination throughout the process helps you walk through those doors.

D1 schools don't put too much effort in students who are lack luster simply because there are dozens of equally talented,other players (who are good students) who want those scholarships.  You are not doing the college a favor by playing on their team, rather it's the reverse and you know that there is a number on your jersey, one of many and replaceable.