Kirbyville Gym - Playoff Games

UncleSi

I want to start this by saying that Kirbyville is a nice place and the people are very welcoming.  

Last night I attended the varsity boys playoff game in Kirbyville between Hemphill and Kountze.  Both teams played hard which resulted in overtime.  There was something bad wrong with the gymnasium floor that was causing players to slip and fall.  It was probably from sweat dripping from the players but I'm not sure that this was the only problem as it happened all throughout the game.  If it was solely due to excessive perspiration that was because it was extremely hot in the gym and they refused to turn on the AC.  I will tell you that these kids were visibly perspiring worse than any I have ever seen on the court.  An admin from each school pleaded with the admin from KV to turn on the AC to no avail.  Conservatively speaking I would say that between the 2 teams there were at least 30 times that players slipped and fell.  Many times it would be in space with no defenders around.  Heck twice players slipped down just trying to inbound the ball.  This is the guy that is standing out of bounds!  How does he slip?????  Before the game was over there were multiple players (from both teams)  limping due to slips.  At one point a Kountze player completely alone on one end of the floor slipped falling on the back of his head and Hemphill's best athlete had to come out for several minutes due to a slip and fall injury.  My advice to teams progressing through the playoffs is to stay away from the Kirbyville gym.

Locker rooms were hot.  No one offered to sweep or buffer the floor when the Ref asked for one. Never went and got it.  

Had a clock issue late in the game and took 4-5 mins to correct. 

Stopping play to dry the floor multiple times 

Nice people.  But way to hot in the gym.  Especially when they pay to use your facility 

9 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Man, I remember a day where the likes of Hemphill and Kountze would play all of their games in an unairconditioned gym because that is what most small schools had. Kids these days are soft. 

Had to have been a LONG time ago before Kountze played a home game in a un air conditioned gym. It’s not soft it’s being caught up with the times. Yeah sure years ago a lot of programs were playing in gyms like that and players were used to those circumstances. It’s 2022 and times have changed lol

I remember when I went to watch Silsbee vs Lake Charles Boston in Lake Charles and the gym floor was actually sweating because it was so hot and humid they called the game with Silsbee ahead for the safety of the players tha gym floor sweating does happen though especially if the humidity is super high and their is no air flowing.