Old yeller: tommy Kirk passes

5GallonBucket

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Yes, I had tears running when he shot Old Yeller.

RIP Tommy!  ✝️✝️✝️

I never saw Old Yeller. My older brother saw it in maybe 1963 or so and was telling me about it when he got back home. 

But, this thread brought back memories about  the old days. We sometimes see discussions of drive in theaters, no microwaves, aluminum foil tray tv dinners, black and white television, 3 channels with no remote, maybe putting aluminum foil on the rabbit ears antenna to improve reception, The television station signing on about 6 AM and going off the air about 12 midnight by playing the Star Spangled Banner as a broadcast day began and ended…..

The main memory from this thread is movies back then. Old Yeller came out about 1957 yet there was my father was bringing my brother to see it “at the movies” in 1963-ish.

What we may have forgotten and younger people don’t know is that movies were not available on VHS (even video tape didn’t exist), you generally could not see movies on television but some later shows had an occasional old movie.  You either saw it at the movies or you didn’t see it.

Movies back then “came back around” maybe a year or two later as a rerun much like reruns on TV but at the theater. They would come back maybe a few times. It was especially true with classics like Gone With The Wind that might be showing at the theater 20 years after it originally came out. If it didn’t, you simply wouldn’t see it.  Many times those would be an Saturday matinees.

Now we can watch practically any movie on demand on a telephone (which back then had a cord about 10 feet long so there were very few private conversations) or cast it onto our color smart television. 

How far we have come in a lifetime…..

48 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I never saw Old Yeller. My older brother saw it in maybe 1963 or so and was telling me about it when he got back home. 

But, this thread brought back memories about  the old days. We sometimes see discussions of drive in theaters, no microwaves, aluminum foil tray tv dinners, black and white television, 3 channels with no remote, maybe putting aluminum foil on the rabbit ears antenna to improve reception, The television station signing on about 6 AM and going off the air about 12 midnight by playing the Star Spangled Banner as a broadcast day began and ended…..

The main memory from this thread is movies back then. Old Yeller came out about 1957 yet there was my father was bringing my brother to see it “at the movies” in 1963-ish.

What we may have forgotten and younger people don’t know is that movies were not available on VHS (even video tape didn’t exist), you generally could not see movies on television but some later shows had an occasional old movie.  You either saw it at the movies or you didn’t see it.

Movies back then “came back around” maybe a year or two later as a rerun much like reruns on TV but at the theater. They would come back maybe a few times. It was especially true with classics like Gone With The Wind that might be showing at the theater 20 years after it originally came out. If it didn’t, you simply wouldn’t see it.  Many times those would be an Saturday matinees.

Now we can watch practically any movie on demand on a telephone (which back then had a cord about 10 feet long so there were very few private conversations) or cast it onto our color smart television. 

That’s the truth. What I remember about movies on TV was Saturday Night at the Movies. The first was “Snows of Kilimanjaro” with Susan Hayward. Her red hair was perfect for color on TV. Most leading ladies in the movies were red heads, with some exceptions. Bonanza, The Wonderful World of Disney, and Saturday morning cartoons rounded out the color shows on TV. Lots of the black and white TV shows that later colorized, seemed to go downhill afterwards. Black and white TV still has its appeal to me. 
Old Yeller was a great movie that wouldn’t have the same effect on today’s youth. You have to actually care about things for it to affect you. 

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

Yep, I saw it when it first came out.  My best guess from memory, first 3 Channels were UHF 32 here, Ch 2 in Houston & Ch 11 in Galveston.  I was the official family antenna adjuster.  When we changed channels I’d go outside & start twisting antenna until my Dad, Mom & sister hollered STOP.  Folks today must think how crazy that sounds, lol.

Tuesday night was $1 for the whole car at Showtown Drive-In. Mama would pop a trash bag full of popcorn and bring us to the movies. It’s what we could afford. Bologna sandwiches and popcorn and a movie for 5 people for less than 2 bucks. I can still smell the green coil mosquito “piqs” burning on the dash. Mama smoked in the car on the way, none of us wore seat belts and the red dye in our kool-aid that she packed in washed out milk jugs was later banned as a carcinogen. Some of the best times in my life. 

The somehow nostalgic satisfying smell of a Pic.  Then you have to try to separate the coils without breaking one of them.

An officer that I used to work with who was from Vidor always said that when his dad brought home a paycheck on Friday, they would have pork chops or T-bone steak (about 1/4” thick) and then bologna and beans and rice for the rest of the week. My response was, yep, that sounds familiar.